Broken slide

JJAK17

I was putting my main slide in and when got to the "end" I heard a loud bang and the slide did not move. After some investigating I found that the mounting bracket for the piston bent and failed. It sheared off a bolt. Now there is nothing holding the piston when it is moved (thank goodness the slide is in). I am looking for any thoughts as to what happened. I am thinking that the piston may have rusted and caused too much pressure and broke but I have no idea.

Anybody else have a similar problem?

I know this is difficult to explain but any thoughts would be great. Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
JJAK17, well I guess that you are lucky that your slide is in. But, I think it is the piston that holds it in. I surely would check that. You might have to somehow tie it off on the bottom with some ratcheting straps and or brace the top of the slide on the inside before travel. Just a heads up. If you are a welder, you should be able to solve your problem, otherwise your dealer should be contacted. Sounds like you need some refab work done to the ram mounting bracket. Did it break off the frame of the coach or off the slide? It sounds like maybe either the slide needed adjustment, or maybe you are staying on the button too long. I don't think the ram piston would have rusted. Those are my thoughts.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If the piston on the hydraulic cylinder broke Lippert should send you a new one. The sent me a new one when my leaked. Contact them.

JJAK17

It was the ram mounting bracket. Yeah I am "glad" that it was in. I will be calling Heartland customer service in the morning. Hopefully they can get me set up. I will have to ask about lippert replacing the item
I was thinkning about that slid not being secured as well. I think I will have to strap in in to keep it from moving before travel.

Thanks for the reply.

porthole

Retired
I think I will have to strap in in to keep it from moving before travel.

Maybe you can get your dealer to loan you a pair of "slide stops"

or maybe you are staying on the button too long.

Per the Lippert manual you can hold the button till it stops and a bit more. if you hold it in to long it will shut off after a few seconds.

Attachments

• Slide Adjustment.pdf
    846.4 KB · Views: 16