Airconditioner & Honda EO2000i ?

L'l John

Has anyone tried to run a 13,500 btu airconditioner with the Honda 2000? Any chance that one could? :confused:
I know that Heartland installs the 15,000 btu, but I am adding a 13,500 in the bedroom.

S

Schaben

Hi
The Honda 2000i will run a 15000 btu AC for about 2 1/2 hours. When we tried it we were at sea level and the generator was brand new. Eight months later, in the mountains of Idaho it would not work. This after running for about 100 hours of use. I would think that running a 13500 btu AC would not be a problem except you will be running your generator at its maximum. When we ran our 15000 btu AC we turned everything else off (including fire alram, propane detector, 12VDC converter and anything else that draws current). We started the fan first and then the conpressor of the AC unit when we turned it on.
If you get another u2000i and run them in parallel you will get about 3500 watts which should run just about everything on your unit. I have tried this and it works great.
Good luck
Lee & Linda

L'l John

Thanks Schaben,
Glad to finally hear from someone who has tried this. I have a Bighorn 3400RL on order now rescheduled to come off line on June, 13th.
I will probably be purchasing a Honda 2000i some time soon, and then sometime later probably another Honda 2000i and adding the parallel option.
I wonder what would happen if you were back at sea level and tried to run your AC again with the Gen ?

S

Schaben

Hi again
Not sure but think it should work, if you turn EVERYTHING else off and run your AC fan first and then the compressor. The start up current for an motor is much greater than the steady running current. That is why we started the AC fan first and then the compressor.
My problem with going with a Honda u3000i is that it weighs some where around 150 lbs or so and two u2000i's are much less. The paralles kit that you need can be built from standard electrical parts for around $35 - $40 or so.
There is nothing complicated about it.
Good luck
Lee

L'l John

Schaben said:
Hi again
The paralles kit that you need can be built from standard electrical parts for around $35 - $40 or so.
There is nothing complicated about it.
Good luck
Lee

Wow,
That is a lot less that the $249.00 that most places charge for the parallel kit. I guess if you know what you are doing it can be done. :(

terawatt

L'l John,
Lee is absolutely correct. It is pretty simple to build the parallel kit for these generators. I have built two different configurations (one using the the bananna jack and one using the duplex outlets) and they both work perfectly. If you want more information on how to do it you can look in the rv.net forum. There is a plethra of information available. http://www.rv.net/forum/ I would be happy to talk you through it when the time arises if you want.

P.S. I am an electrical engineer by trade and can guarantee the equivlency of the do-it-yourself kit to the expensive honda built kit.

L'l John

Thanks terawatt,
I will definately file this post away for reference when/if I decide for sure to go that way.
I am out of an RV right now. Have a 3400RL on order with an expected delivery of sometime late next week.
Sold our Diesel motorhome in March and have been twiddleing our thumbs since. Sure have missed a lot of prime time camping lately.