Help keep blowing tires what to do????

mxrider39

I understand that the Bad Year marathons were bad tires but I just put new tires on the camper and 1000 miles latter I blew another tire.. What can I do to stop this issue?????????

Uncle Rog

If you replaced your tires I am sure you are keeping the pressures where they should be. You might want to check your axles for square to see if you are "dragging" one or more tires down the road. There is a difference also between a blow out and a tread separation, which is plain old tire failure. If the tires that are failing are in the rear, the front tire usually kicks up the hazard which sets up the following tire to take the hit. If that is the case just avoid running over hazards in the road.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The number one cause of trailer tire failure is low air pressure and associated heat build up. I check mine for pressure before setting out, and also every time I stop (I also check the temps at each stop). It only takes a couple of minutes and gives us peace of mind. I have a digital pressure guage and plan on getting one of the "point and shoot" temp guages soon. Don't have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System for the trailer yet, but it's high on my wish list.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
mxrider39, you don't say which unit you are towing. Like Gus said low air pressure and the related heat buildup is the killer for tires. I personally use the max pressure stated on the sidewall of the tire. I do have the Pressure Pro TMS, and can check air pressure at the touch of a button. I use this to check pressures during a trip. I do however take them off and manually check and top off before a trip.

Peace
Dave

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Also realize that ST tires, regardless of manufacturer, are only rated for a maximum speed of 65 MPH.

mxrider39

Camper 3912
Okay Frustrated so bare with me.
I know how to check tire pressure and keep them up I am a maintaince freek HATE TO LEAVE FAMILY STRANDED ON ROAD!!!
1 month ago blew 2 marathon's made it home barely, the others looked bad. Bought bran new tires went 900 miles good trip, left house for small weekender checked tires everything good went 50 miles blew a tire..

What tires is everyone else running? Are you going to 16 inch rims???

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I have the 16" rims on my Sundance with over 5000 miles on the original Mission (made in China:eek:) tires. So far I have negligible tread wear and no signs of bubbles, cracks, etc. I'm running 80psi.

vangoes

mxrider
If you are blowing tires with only 1000 miles, I do not believe it can be an issue with the tires itself. It has got to be something mechanical.......alignment, bad valve stems, cracked rim, tire rubbing on something, etc. As bad as China Bombs are, they still will go longer than a 1000 miles under normal circumstances.

mxrider39

Boat to 5er I have 15 inch tires now and was thinking about going to 16, did you do that or did it come with 16's.
Has any body went from 15's to 16's? I think that would make me feel better I just don't feei there is enough tire under this camper

pslincs

Quit wasting time on "trailer" tires on a Cyclone, buy a set of Michelin 14 ply tires, thats what we did, blew a goodyear first trip out, then bought real tires>> no probs now

If you don't have a mechanical issue with the axles, or alignment, the best thing to do would be to go to 16" wheels/tires. I think they are optional now, when we bought ours, an 07 4012, it only came with 15"wheels/tires. I had the dealer replace all of them with 16" aluminum wheels and Michelin tires, have not had a SINGLE tire or wheel issue since it drove off the lot, and it's been in some nasty places, and we haul down the road, pulling with a semi. Technically, the 15s fit the bill for weight rating (we're all under the weight limit right?), but there is a reason 16s are an option now.
-JR

Delaine and Lindy

I would have no faith in China made tire. I only run Goodyear G614's until this year and now we are running Goodyear G114's 17.5" tires. I would recomend 16'' Goodyear G614's. Have never had a issue with the Goodyear (made in America). Some Goodyear tires were being made in China. GBY...

bigbird272

Marathon Tires

I blew one Goodyear Marathon tire in Arizona last year and almost blew another. My other trailer had d series and I think it should have had e series. For sure never run faster than 65, I was running constantly at about 68. I think the heat got to them. I replaced them with e series, one Marathon and the rest Chinese. Got back to Canada with no issues, I just slowed down.

Now with my 3580 Bighorn G rated tires that are rated for 75mph I intend to go no faster than 60 to 65. Especially with Chinese tires. I will also check them every couple of hours and of course make sure they are at 110 when I start out on a trip.

Rick

Delaine and Lindy

Pressure Pro System....

I also think you should be running the Pressure Pro system. It will no give you a warning when it blows but you can monitor the tire pressure. Again China made tire I would seriously consider getting them off the RV as soon as possible. GBY....

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
One of the biggest problems we've seen with tires is weight...have you weighed your trailer, especially each wheel?

When we did ours we discovered that even though the total axle weight was not over, we were pin-high on the hitch, and had 500lbs more on the rear axle than we did the front. This caused the one tire on the heavy OD side to be quite overloaded...worth checking into.

SilverRhino

Are you having problems with the tires in the same location on your coach each time?

As someone else said "even a china bomb will last longer than that"...If I had this happening, before I spent any more money on tires...I would have the axles and suspension checked out by a reputable shop.

Just my observation.

Travel Safe!

caissiel

My Marathon 225/75/15 tires never lasted any time on my previous trailer. I always blew the rear tire, so I assumed the threads were to weak and the front tire picked debris and the rear tire blew. And the Class D rated tire were as bad.
For many years I did nothing because I was told not to use LT tires on a trailer. But later I went with cheap no name Walmart Load C LT 235/75/15 Tires. The threads were deeper, and I never blew one tire in 5 years. The tires were not even rated for the 2500 Lbs requirements of the 5000 Lbs trailer axles.
I always kept full marked pressure and heat was never a problem with the Load C LT tires.

Wharton

We had this problem years ago. Someone in the know said the tires had too much flex for the weight we were carrying(actually everything was really in specs, but mfgs lie). He suggested we switch to steel LT tires. We now run only with Goodyear 614(?) and have never had a blow out since.

alkyspeed

Why will some not understand why The Chinese Junk tires are referred to as "China Bombs". Not just on our Heartland Owners site but on many other RV related forums also. Many put the blame on weight, under-pressure, over-pressure, to high pin position and many, many other strange and sometimes bizarre excuses for these JUNK tires that we all paid good money for. Maybe the blame lies with the monster that appears on the wing of the old "Twilight Zone" episode with William Shatner -- He destroys them when we are not looking -- I sure don't know. Get some good "HEAVY BUILT" LT truck tires and stop having to worry about tire explosions that will take out 25% - 50% of the side or bottom of your Heartland Piece of Joy. Doesn't really matter if you pick Michelins, Goodyear, Firestone or whatever. Pick the tire spec that is acceptable for your weight application and then go one step better (higher). Bite the Bullet - Do that and then travel down the highway without worrying and have fun.