Hints for getting the big bikes in the trailer

porthole

Retired
Later today I will be attempting my first try to get the electric glide into the trailer.
On the 3010 the ramp is only 7' long and looks a bit steep.

Just wondering if there are any hints - pitfalls I should be aware off before trying.

With my smaller motorcycle trailer it is obviously very easy, but something I had tried successfully when it is wet out is to leave the bike in gear and use the clutch as a brake, keeps the front wheel from locking up and skidding sideways on the ramp.

Last edited:

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
My first thought is to make sure I am not around. Second idea is to install the winch!
It is really obviously made for quads...until you modify it.
love you honey!

kkflstf

line up, twist the wick, drop the clutch and hold on! Seriously I load golf carts, quads, ultra glides and softtails all the time not a deal. Make sure the trailer is level and even better to have the ramp elevated to reduce the angle. When unloading I leave in gear and use the clutch to brake. Good Luck!!!

truknutt

Committed Member
You can cheat a little and, with the rear stabilizers retracted, raise the front end (with truck attached) to lessen the incline.

Hang on for the ride!!

Your missus brings up a good point to think about; an emergency winch. There will come a time when that precious H-D will fail and your buddies will already have packed it in and left you high and dry. I learned the hard way. I picked up a rolling cradle used for rollback recoveries and a portable 12 volt winch from Harbor Freight. Later upgraded to a Polaris Versawinch; heavy unit but useful around the house and in the woods.

The only problem I see is the dolly wheels getting stuck in the gap between door & trailer.

Just something to think about...

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Is it safe to assume you have a wheel chock for the front? With a ramp as wide as a garage it should be a piece of cake to drive up in 1st gear feathering the clutch with the RPM's up a bit. Just go slow and keep our feet on the ramp. You will probably lose touch with the ramp once the front wheel gets on the ramp. I've loaded a 1000# Rice Burner a fair number of times. Driving up is the easiest way. Backing out is actually a little trickier. Again, just walk it backwards till it starts to roll on its own then lightly apply the front brake to slowly walk it down. Worse when the ramp is wet. If it doesn,t already have it, some adhesive backed non skid can be applied to the ramp.

Loco

I agree with KK it not a big deal loading. Start with good level ground and ride her up. Also I agree, When unloading I leave in gear and use the clutch to brake. Front brake will not slow you down coming out.

porthole

Retired
and even better to have the ramp elevated to reduce the angle.

How are you doing that?

When unloading I leave in gear and use the clutch to brake.

That I have been doing for some time (with the bike trailer) and it is the best way. The front wheel loses all the weight and just locks up and slides.

an emergency winch

That will be in the trailer eventually, have one in the little trailer an this the only way to get an 800 pound bike that does not run into the trailer by yourself.

Is it safe to assume you have a wheel chock for the front?

Yes, I use Bike Pro chocks. Going to try something different with this trailer. Instead of bolting down the chocks I will use the "free standing" plate - see how that goes.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390068048427&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Last edited:

iforget

Oh wait!! I have an idea for loading it at home. Drive the camper to the end of the steep driveway and the ramp will then be level, right? The truck would be in the street and the camper up a foot or so in the rear!

porthole

Retired
Oh wait!! I have an idea for loading it at home. Drive the camper to the end of the steep driveway and the ramp will then be level, right? The truck would be in the street and the camper up a foot or so in the rear!

Yep, good idea, that will work for getting it setup placing the chock locations.

And you won't have to go inside when I am loading the bike

iforget

Yep, good idea, that will work for getting it setup placing the chock locations.

And you won't have to go inside when I am loading the bike

You dont have to worry about that Duane!! I have learned a few things over the last 24+ years!

Now there is proof that I have come up with lots of ideas. Unlike most which have cost us a small fortune
Like "We need a bigger boat"
"We need a toy hauler"
"I wont ride with you ""Ever" if you dont get a bigger bike"
and " Your bike needs to be louder...:D

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
You dont have to worry about that Duane!! I have learned a few things over the last 24+ years!

Now there is proof that I have come up with lots of ideas. Unlike most which have cost us a small fortune
Like "We need a bigger boat"
"We need a toy hauler"
"I wont ride with you ""Ever" if you dont get a bigger bike"
and " Your bike needs to be louder...:D

Boy, did I hear that one a "million" times:D. So I got rid of the boat and got an RV. Now I hear, " We need a bigger trailer".:eek: