Fridge will not cool on gas

gonervn

Bill & Sallie
Finally fixed! After replacing just about everything it was the burner that was bad. 2008 Big Horn 3670rl fridge is not cooling on gas. Has been in and out of the shop for 3 months, when not use. This is the fifth time. Cooling unit, solenoid, and one other part on the fridge where replaced along with the valve on the propane tanks. The repair shop is trying to get Dometic to replace the fridge but they will not. Now Dometic is having the shop replace the burner. Does anyone have any suggestions on a fix or how to pressure Dometic to replace the fridge?

Last edited:

palebluedot

This probably has nothing to do with your problem, but it is something that I encountered when we switched from a Montana to the new Bighorn. The Montana (2003) would allow operating the fridge on gas while in motion, the Bighorn will not. There is a function that cuts off the gas supply to the fridge when the slides are retracted. It may have something to do with a government mandate between 2003 & 2010. Thought I had a problem until talking to a factory tech.

2010augusta

This probably has nothing to do with your problem, but it is something that I encountered when we switched from a Montana to the new Bighorn. The Montana (2003) would allow operating the fridge on gas while in motion, the Bighorn will not. There is a function that cuts off the gas supply to the fridge when the slides are retracted. It may have something to do with a government mandate between 2003 & 2010. Thought I had a problem until talking to a factory tech.

Huhhh?????????? I run my refer a lot with the slides in. I will start the fridge a day or so before we head out so it is cool when we load it. It works just fine as we drive too. It kept it cool for two days of driving from Colorado to South Texas in 100+ weather. If yours is not working with the slides in you might have a pinched line somewhere.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bill, WOW, I didnt know that. 1st time I've heard about that. Does yours do that? My 07 Horn fridge stays on while we are driving. What factory tech did you talk to. Was it at Heartland or a dealer. Sounds fishy to me, IMHO, of course. Bob:confused:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bill, that's news to me as well. Our reefer runs fine on LP with the slides closed. Like Alan said, you may have a problem with something specific to your trailer. Do you have a battery disconnected when you travel? You might want to look into this. If what you say is true, it's news to me.

wdk450

Disconnecting Battery Traveling - Not a Good Idea

Ray, you asked "Do you have the battery disconnected when you travel?"
As I understand it, the battery is needed to apply the electric brakes if the trailer becomes disconnected from the truck, and the lanyard activates the trailer emergency brake switch.

jbeletti

Hi Bill,

I checked with the plant and there is no LP gas cut-off device in use on the RV when the slides are retracted. If your refer will not work on LP gas with the slides closed, perhaps the line is being pinched in the slide closure process. Please have this looked at by your dealer as soon as possible.

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
As I understand it, the battery is needed to apply the electric brakes if the trailer becomes disconnected from the truck, and the lanyard activates the trailer emergency brake switch.
You are absolutely right and I'm aware of that. My question was just that because the reefer also needs 12 volts to operate on LP. I thought if you had a battery disconnect and used it during travel, this might be the problem with the reefer not operating with the slides closed. I was just hunting for possibilities.

caokgafamily

We just finished a 7k trip using LP the whole trip. My AC side of the fridge has not worked for some time, I think its a bad circuit board. You can buy alot of LP for the cost of a new board. The LP side of the fridge will not work without 12V.

Last edited:

jbeletti

Bill is correct on this. For those installing their own their own battery cut-off switch "and" plan to travel with that switch in the OFF position, be certain to have a second hot wire run from the battery to the break-away switch at the hitch. This wire would be left connected to the battery at all times. You would also want to add a 20 amp breaker to this circuit.

If you "never" plan to travel with the battery cut-off switch in the OFF position, then running that circuit to the break-away switch is less critical.

At this time, we use a battery cut-off switch on our Landmark product. Here is a quote from the Landmark plant:

We add an extra HOT wire from battery side of disconnect to a 20 amp mini breaker (the one by itself) then to the charge line of the Barge Cord. Therefore, the battery to truck connection ( including the break-a-way) is still hot with the disconnect off.
Jim

phranc

Does the Bighorn now have a cut off switch ? A disconnected batt would or could give you reefer problems.. When plugged into shore power the converter would supply the neccessary 12 volts.. \
Paleblue dot ....my 06 never had a problem with the gas with the slides in

palebluedot

I got a call from the Alabama dealer servicing the Bighorn today. They said that they found a kinked gas hose when the slide was retracted causing the problem. To clarify, the tech that originally told me that the gas was designed to cutoff when the slides were retracted was from the dealer we purchased the unit from in Butte, MT and not the factory that I inadvertently stated. I think in the future I will verify with the factory when in doubt, but with the goofy regulations the government comes up with it did sound plausible. Thanks for all the responses.