My refridgerator just QUIT!

skyguy

Strange - we are getting ready for a weekend trip, and I went to turn ON the refridgerator (geez I thought I HAD turned it on)... and nothing

No lights on the indicator panel. No inside light.

I have checked fuses, AC, DC, AC where refridgerator plugs in, DC 12 volt to refridgerator, and the 5A inline fuse in the little gray power box on the back on the reefer... All these are OK. I'm not sure about the 3A...

What am I missing!!! Haaaallllllppp!

Al S.

jbeletti

Al,

Check the AC plug - is it plugged in, in the back for the refer?

Check the GFI outlets in the trailer. Test, then reset them all.

Using a multimeter set to DC, pull apart the fuses and check the feed side of the fuse holder to ground for 12 volts.

If you have a DC cut-off switch, make sure it is on.

Are all the other DC lighting in the RV working?

Jim

skyguy

Good ideas, Jim.

AC is good, 12 volt is good, GFI good,

In the outside compartment (back of reefer):
Tested AC outlet where reefer plugs in - OK
Put a meter on 12V DC connections for reefer - 12 volts plus
removed gray box covering circuit panel for reefer,
checked 5A fuse - looks fine, but did not ring out.
looked for 3A fuse, supposedly on left side of circuit board - not sure about that one, doesn't look like any fuse I have seen...

Checked all 12V lights, water pump, etc all OK.

It looks to me like circuit board?

Shall I call Dometic? Local dealer? ??? We may be eating from a cooler this weekend:mad:

charlie51

I would call dometic. I had a seperate issue with mine a couple of months ago, and I called Dometic to get a list of service providers. Took it to a place that's not a dealership, but just does rv work and they called me back in less than 24 hours to come get it. Didn't even do any paperwork. They said it was so minor they weren't even going to fool with filing it, and just asked that I remember them for my future needs.

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Skyguy, what's with your frig? Have you figured out the problem and got it working?

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Charlie51, you need to let us know who you brought it to. Sounds like a great place for anyone traveling if they need service.

skyguy

UPDATE:

Sorry to be tardy about the update... Thursday I had an appointment with a local RV dealer - they don't sell Heartland, but they COULD get me in before we left for a weekend trip.

1. Found out the little blue "gizmo" with the E on it, left hand side of the control board for the reefer is the 3 amp fuse. It's not an E, but a 3. And the fuse was bad, and replaced.

2. Why did the fuse go bad??? Tech traced the wire harness back underneath the 3670, and found a poorly installed wire nut.:mad: Apparently there were bare wires exposed, they brushed against the frame, and end of life for the fuse. He fixed the wiring, restored the wires back in their harnesses, and the reefer has worked fine ever since!!

Sooo, Heartland, about this $89 bill.....

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Nice to know that the fuse did its job and protected that very expensive circuit board. Lucky it was only $89. Glad you got it fixed before your trip.

Good luck,

skyguy

Update:

The first opportunity we had to use the AC portion of the refridgerator was a couple weekends ago, and guess what... it lasted 5 minutes and the same 3 Amp fuse blew.

So back to running on propane...:mad:

Have a repeat appointment next week, after Labor Day weekend. At least it's not a trip cancelling problem...