charging batteries

We have a stand alone generator that we occassionally use with our Bighorn. The house batteries never seem to take a good charge with the generator but do with the truck connection or 110 at home. We are thinking about buying new quiet Honda generator. Is there something extra that we need to help the house batteries charge up with the generator running?

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
Hello Odie & Janice !! Plugging into the Generator to AC side and allowing batteries to charge though converter is your best method . Charging batteries off DC side could over charge the battery. I would also make sure your generator is supplying correct voltage. It does take some time to get a good charge depending on how low your batteries are.

ricatic

I have the same question as the OP. I have an older 2500 watt generator. While dry camping at Oshkosh Airventure I used it for power. I plugged it into the shore power inlet using the factory power cord with an adapter. It would only charge to about 50% capacity in over 6 hours. I then plugged into the neighbors Winnebago with Onan gen set. He was able to get them to 75% in 3-4 hours. I am wondering if the converter charger in the Big Horn requires cleaner sine wave voltage to charge properly.

Ricatic

Last edited:

2010augusta

I have the same question as the OP. I have an older 2500 watt generator. While dry camping at Oshkosh Airventure I used it for power. I plugged it into the shore power inlet using the factory power cord with an adapter. It would only charge to about 50% capacity in over 6 hours. I then plugged into the neighbors Winnebago with Onan gen set. He was able to get them to 75% in 3-4 hours. I am wondering if the converter charger in the Big Horn requires cleaner sine wave voltage to charge properly.

Ricatic

What else were you using while trying to charge? A 2500 watt genny is only outputting 20-22 amps at max output, so it is possiable that you were using other appliances and keeping the converter from charging at the full capabilities of the converter. I would also suggest you spend $11 on this to over-ride to boost mode in the future. Make sure you have a PD9200 series converter. they have others for the PD9100's.

ricatic

Thanks for the suggestions. I will get one of the Pendants. I actually ran my gen set for 4 hours with nothing running but what you can not shut off. That is when it charged to 50%. I have been charging with shore power for two days. I will be checking it tomorrow, Others have suggested a possible bad battery.

Ricatic