Battery Disconnect Switch

62cwil

I just purchase a Marinco Battery cuttoff switch and for some reason the power stays on even if i switch it off. I basically ran the positive side cable currently on the battery to one of the terminals and connected a purchased battery cable and ran from the other terminal to the battery. Does anyone have a cutoff like this and how did you run it. Pics would be great if you have them.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
62cwil, dont put in on the positive side of the battery. Put on the negitive side. You could cause power spikes if installed on the positive side when you turn it on. Electronics dont like that. Bob:D

62cwil

Thanks for the quick replies. No it was not plugged into the tow vehicle. Yes it was plugged into shore power. Somehow I just realized if plugged into shore power that that bypasses the batteries and cutoff not supposed to work, right. Finally, the reason I put it on the positive side was the manufacturer told me to put it on the positive side.

Am I correct that the fact I had it plugged into shore power there is no battery cutoff.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
I put mine on the negative side as I was told

porthole

Retired
Yes it was plugged into shore power. Somehow I just realized if plugged into shore power that that bypasses the batteries and cutoff not supposed to work, right. Finally, the reason I put it on the positive side was the manufacturer told me to put it on the positive side.

Am I correct that the fact I had it plugged into shore power there is no battery cutoff.

If you are plugged in and your converter is on you are supplying 12 volts to the trailer - battery or no battery.

Your battery disconnect is acting correctly, you just don't realize it because your shore power is supplying 12 volts through the converter - but - with the battery switch off you will not be charging your battery.

Positive side is the correct side. Disconnect your shore power and you should find your disconnect works correctly.

62cwil

Finally figured it out. I was being told to put cutoff switch between positive cable coming from the coach thru the wall into the battery compartment. Even with that cable disconnected from the battery I was getting power. I may have forgot to say I have two batteries so they are connected together. A friend of mine went down today and on the front battery where the generator cables go from their was a red wire that I did not see under the one to the generator and the one connecting the two batteries together. When I took it off power went out in the coach. So I hooked up my switch there and all worked fine. It was getting dark and I did not have a flashlight so could not see where the cable went but it was smaller than the large one from the rig. It looked like it went down under and over to a panel around the converter. I remembered when I called the manufacture today they told me to put in line that went to trailer accessories so that must have been it.

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
Finally figured it out. I was being told to put cutoff switch between positive cable coming from the coach thru the wall into the battery compartment. Even with that cable disconnected from the battery I was getting power. I may have forgot to say I have two batteries so they are connected together. A friend of mine went down today and on the front battery where the generator cables go from their was a red wire that I did not see under the one to the generator and the one connecting the two batteries together. When I took it off power went out in the coach. So I hooked up my switch there and all worked fine. It was getting dark and I did not have a flashlight so could not see where the cable went but it was smaller than the large one from the rig. It looked like it went down under and over to a panel around the converter. I remembered when I called the manufacture today they told me to put in line that went to trailer accessories so that must have been it.
What NO flashlight with all that room?:confused: