Running an exterior cable to the inside

cdnrver

Our unit is a 2009 Sundance 2900MK.

I purchased a wifi repeater kit and I am looking for suggestions on how to run the cable from outside into our unit. I'm trying to get away from having to always pass it through an open window.

I plan on attaching the omni antenna (about 18" tall) to the ladder somehow (looking for a way that will allow easy disconnect or the ability to lower the antenna during travel in the case of a more permanent attachment) - or attaching the antenna somewhere else on the unit if someone has a better idea (near a slide etc).

My main issue however is how to run the cable from the outside antenna to the router repeater that will be located inside our unit. I hesitate drilling a hole through the wall or roof (scary). Should I drill through the floor? Is there a way to go through the storage compartment in the front?

If anyone has done this I would appreciate any help that you can provide and pictures if possible (or website links).

If not, how would you do this?

Also, I understand that the antenna should be grounded when in use? How would I do this safely.

Thanks.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
What I do is run the slide in about 6 inches that is close to the ladder and push the cable in through the seals of the slide. Then I run the slide back out.

I am using a 1 1/2 " PVC SCH40 as a mast with a 1" PVC inside it to run the antenna above the roof. I also have a quick disconnect mounted on my ladder to mount a trucker antenna.

You can see these if you go to this website. Antenna and mounting If you have any questions let me know.
BC

PS.. I don't know why you would ground any part of the antenna.

SmokeyBare

I have a HugheNet Satellite dish I set up for our Internet System connections. This requires two cable connections from the dish to the Modem which I placed inside a cabinet the desk slide out room of our 3400-RL BigHorn.

I drilled a two small holes in the side of the slide room wall... just opposite the cabinet area at the floor... (we have no Fireplace) I attached a dual cable connection wall plate over the holes - Sealed with caulking to keep out any water leaks. Inside the cabinet I used a dual hole cover plate for the cables to pass through. Inside the wall I cut the back out of a Blue Plastic electrical box so it would fit the space in the wall. The work box has tabs to tighten it to the inside wall.

The connections do not interfere with the slide seal or the opening or closing of the room. But to be sure it wouldn't, I attached a plastic bar above the two cable connection threads... The plastic bar allows the rubber seal to slide past the cable connections with out grabbing or tearing the soft rubber material.

When the room is open... the cable connections are exposed and I am able to make the cable connections... I remove the cable before we close the room for travel.

It works for me.

Good Luck with your project.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Marv, I'd like to see some photos of what you are describing, if you get a chance sometime. How thick is the slide room wall, by the way?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
cdnrver,
Check out what I did, actually borrowed the idea from Jim B. and Terry H.'s installation but I did do it and so far so good.

SmokeyBare

Here ya go HT...

Note: My special method of stud finding... (Drill a Hole - Hit a Wall Stud)

The wall thickness is much less than a standard electrical box for a house which fits inside a 2X4 Wall opening. I'd guess it's a nearly 1 1/2 inch thick.

I just bought a standard electrical outlet box - blue plastic made with tabs that can tighten against the wall to secure the box in place. I cut the back of the box (shortened it's depth out so it would fit the depth of the wall opening. I used rubber grommets to protect the cable coming through the metal wall plate on the inside.

Attachments

• IMG_3263.JPG
    IMG_3263.JPG
    555.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3264.JPG
    IMG_3264.JPG
    306.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3265.JPG
    IMG_3265.JPG
    441 KB · Views: 91

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Thanks, Marv...I like it. I may have to do something like this for my SAT and the antenna mod that Mark did as well. I'm glad you guys are the 'test monkeys'! :D :) Both good jobs!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I have a HugheNet Satellite dish I set up for our Internet System connections. This requires two cable connections from the dish to the Modem which I placed inside a cabinet the desk slide out room of our 3400-RL BigHorn.

I drilled a two small holes in the side of the slide room wall... just opposite the cabinet area at the floor... (we have no Fireplace) I attached a dual cable connection wall plate over the holes - Sealed with caulking to keep out any water leaks. Inside the cabinet I used a dual hole cover plate for the cables to pass through. Inside the wall I cut the back out of a Blue Plastic electrical box so it would fit the space in the wall. The work box has tabs to tighten it to the inside wall.

The connections do not interfere with the slide seal or the opening or closing of the room. But to be sure it wouldn't, I attached a plastic bar above the two cable connection threads... The plastic bar allows the rubber seal to slide past the cable connections with out grabbing or tearing the soft rubber material.

When the room is open... the cable connections are exposed and I am able to make the cable connections... I remove the cable before we close the room for travel.

It works for me.

Good Luck with your project.

We did something similar. We used a dual, waterproof box on the outside of the slide wall, and sealed it good. This comes in behind our fireplace. We then installed a dual cable plate on the side wall of the fireplace location, under the desk area and connect the two together. This gives us connections inside the slide which you can attached to and run the cable up thru the cable junction (plugged hole) on the desk top to attached to your device. Below is a pictures of the outside plate...hope this helps.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff162/kakampers/000_0001.jpg

cdnrver

Thanks for the ideas.

Passing it through the slide rubber will certainly save the drilling - funny how the simplest ideas are just staring you in the face sometimes.

I also like the idea of a 2pc sliding pvc mast - gonna look at that project after I finish making my wooden wheel chucks.

The unanswered question is - Should I ground the antenna ?

Thanks for everyone's help.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
TXBobCat, I see the two antenna's, one is the wilson Trucker antenna, what is the other flat antenna?

Yes that is a trucker antenna on a quick disconnect I have attached to the ladder. On the PVC tubing I put a Directional antenna using the mounting hardware attached to a plastic cutting board.

Here is a URL showing the antenna. Directional Antenna

The unanswered question is - Should I ground the antenna ?
I believe in my post (#2) I wrote PS.. I don't know why you would ground any part of the antenna.

If you connected a ground wire to the antenna all you did was raise ground up to your antenna and give lightning a good point to strike. I would not do that. If you use the PVC tubing it is insulated from ground. Lighting will take the easiest path and your antenna is insulated. It would hit a close tree or other object.

Hope this helps.
BC

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Yea.. Happens to me also..

Someone that would be a lot of help is EVDOAlex..

From my experience I can see no reason to try to ground the antenna.

BC