Replacing the Sofa

imchud

A quick question regarding replacing the current (Flair) sofa bed with a new sofa or sofa bed...

First of all has anyone out there ever replaced their existing soda with a standard store bought sofa:confused: My wife and I agree that the current sofa is not the most comfortable thing to sit on, we feel like we are all ways being pushed off the end. The sofa has a puffy back, but when you sit in it it doesn't give very much and therefore you feel you can't sit back far enough, you feel like your always sitting on the edge:( Sooooo.... we are out looking at new sofa's and we don't know if we should get enother sleep style sofa that you can open so it shrinks down in order to get it through the door? or recliner stlye, again so you can open it to get through the door??? Also do you know if the sofa that come with the BH is put together in the camper, or are they carried it through the door fully assembled, thanks..

Tommy

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've got a queen size sleeper sofa at home. I can tell you that it's not all that comfortable to sit on for long periods. The back is fairly stiff and hollow so that part of the bed frame folds up into it. I don't think you would want to open one up to get it in the door of the trailer. You would probably have to angle the armrest ends in, after taking the legs off, to get it in. Might even want to remove the bed frame to make the weight manageable. Not sure how they get the sofa and recliners into the BH. Either assembled inside or put in before the last rear slide unit is attached to the frame.

2010augusta

I can't remember for sure, but the furniture might go in just before the windows. I don't know how hard and what the cost to R&R a window would be, but it might be worth it to get a GREAT sofa in the trailer.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I can't remember for sure, but the furniture might go in just before the windows. I don't know how hard and what the cost to R&R a window would be, but it might be worth it to get a GREAT sofa in the trailer.

Yeah, three men and a boy might be able to lift those monsters through the rear window opening before it gets glassed in.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
They build the inside before they put the sides on. I did take my huge overstuffed recliner out the door but the classic Landmark has a 'big boy package'. Not sure on your BH

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm not sure how the Flair will come out of the RV but I'm sure it will. We replaced all of the RV furniture with store bought. We replaced the sofa bed with a love seat recliner by Ashley and now only use 1 recliner. A wall away from Lazy Boy. Both were easy to get through the door and much more comfy.

jbeletti

Most furniture goes in at the end of the line. Appliances go in during the build pre-wall. Including the W/D. Much easier then.

Jim

imchud

I'm not sure how the Flair will come out of the RV but I'm sure it will. We replaced all of the RV furniture with store bought. We replaced the sofa bed with a love seat recliner by Ashley and now only use 1 recliner. A wall away from Lazy Boy. Both were easy to get through the door and much more comfy.

Ray,
Did you have to open them up to get them through the door?? we are also looking at Ashley loveseat recliners...

Greselda

Imchud:.....

We know what you mean about the sofa being on the "short side" cushion wise...here is how I fixed that problem in our Sundance.

I removed the stuffing from the pillows, there are zippers at the very bottom of the pillows....(not the seats mind you, just the back pillows) and then I replaced that stuffing with two queen sized bed pillows....I stacked them side by side and they work great:D:D

Not only do you have tons of room on the seat portion of the couch because the pillows are only about half the thickness of the stuffing, but they are also taller, which keeps them from flattening out (if you happen to have fat kitties that love to sleep on the back of the couch and look out the windows);)

Hope this helps.....if you have any questions, I would be more than happy to answer.

Rick and Janine

2010augusta

Rick and Janine, That is a great idea. We might have to do that too, cause our corgis like to lay on the back of the sofa and it is becoming rather flat.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders

We know what you mean about the sofa being on the "short side" cushion wise...here is how I fixed that problem in our Sundance.

I removed the stuffing from the pillows, there are zippers at the very bottom of the pillows....(not the seats mind you, just the back pillows) and then I replaced that stuffing with two queen sized bed pillows....I stacked them side by side and they work great:D:D

Not only do you have tons of room on the seat portion of the couch because the pillows are only about half the thickness of the stuffing, but they are also taller, which keeps them from flattening out (if you happen to have fat kitties that love to sleep on the back of the couch and look out the windows);)

Hope this helps.....if you have any questions, I would be more than happy to answer.

Rick and Janine
I've said it before and I'll say it again -- I LOVE this forum. You got a problem or concern...post it and someone will have a suggestion you can try or an outright solution to what ails you. You all are GREATNone

When we owned our Montana, I tried several times to find an answer to a question about the rig. All I ever got was "talk to your dealer" answer. Very frustrating. This forum is the main reason I started seriously considering selling my Montana which at the time was only a year old. Sure don't regret that decision.
:)
Keith

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Rick and Janine, That is a great idea. We might have to do that too, cause our corgis like to lay on the back of the sofa and it is becoming rather flat.

Corgis lay on the to of the sofa! Never!!!:D Ours likes to lay on the back and then use it as a path to get on top the table, when we are outside and not looking of course. Evidently the view from there is different than the one from the sofa. Convincing her to get down and stop embarrassing us is a job for Mark since she is the industrial sized Corgi at just under 40lbs. She's not fat, just extra long and somewhat fluffy!

Might have to try the pillow idea to support that dog.

Kristy

imchud

Rick and Janine

Rick / Janine
Thanks for the info... We are going to give that a try this weekend.

Tommy