New Hoover Dam Bridge

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Anyone travelling across the Hoover Dam in the future will be going across the new bridge which is scheduled to be completed in the very near future. I have attached a photo of it. This will link Nevada and Arizona and make travelling in that area much easier and safer.

Attachments

• hoover dam bridge.jpg
    hoover dam bridge.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 172

porthole

Retired
This is neat.

I was there a couple of years ago and have some pics of the excavator digging the hill out for the abutments.
Did not realize it was an excavator until I got home and looked at the pictures enlarged.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Nice, but that's gonna be one heck of a vertical view! I'll have to keep my eyes closed when I drive across it:eek:!

4ever

That is really neat. I was also there a couple of years ago when the project first strarted. This will sure make traveling through there a lot better. The DW says no way she will cross pulling our fiver.

skyguy

Wow! I didn't know they were building that. Guess if you want to go across the dam, you better get there pretty soon! They'll probably close that off (security, doncha know)

porthole

Retired
The dam bridge will be closed except to peds and bikes. Too much wear and tear and then there is the "T" word.

phranc

We were fortunate to be able to tour the dam before 9/11. This gave us a tour throughout the dam including the dynamos and we walked out at the bottom looking up is just spectacular. A memory that we will not be able to repeat.
The new bridge is an engineering marvel and a great design as well

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
Hate to cross the bridge on a windy day with our fifth wheel TRAVELER07 Hey Jim how the new set of wheels doing?

We crossed the dam four times last winter on our way to Arizona and back to Wyoming. This coming season looks like we will we crossing at night and keeping my eyes closed over the new span!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There was a TV documentary about that bridge a few months ago. Scary work. At the rate Lake Mead is drying up, they might not need that dam in a few years.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
WOW! It's been aroud 30 years since we've been to Vegas. We raced the Mint 400 back in the mid 70's. We hope to get there this year on the way South. Or West? I noticed in your picture, the water level in th elake is pretty low.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hate to cross the bridge on a windy day with our fifth wheel TRAVELER07 Hey Jim how the new set of wheels doing?

The new truck is great. It is amazing how far technology has come in the last 10 years. The 2010 diesel is so quiet and low in emissions there isn't even any black smoke. I have to remind me I am driving a diesel. We had a Linix spray in bedliner put in at Hitch Depot in Beaumont, Tx and also they installed our 20k Draw-tite hitch which I had removed from the old truck. Do not have air-bags on the new truck but so far not sure if I will need them. With the new tow ratings we are below the max by 2000 pounds. We towed it from Beaumont to home (125 miles) yesterday and it pulled great in the tow/haul mode. Had plenty of power. This new truck has a black box on it that records the throttle, brake and steering input, seat belt use and other items. This information is available to Law Enforcement in the event of an accident. Yikes.... Also it records any changes to the emission system, cooling system, and other vehicle components including the engine. Alteration of any could void the warranty. (Big Brother is Watching) I was amazed with the construction of the F Super Duty series after watching a DVD I got at the dealer. So far the mileage towing is about 10 and not towing about 14. New truck has the 3.73 rear end, and twin turbo 6.4 L diesel. A "bad" truck.... Finally, I could feel a difference in stability in the dually versus the single rear wheels. One final note. Don't trust the dealer to check you tire pressure. All the tires were low, ranging from 15 pounds to 55 pounds. Should be 80 rear and 70 front. They are correct now.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Just remember when you cross that new bridge, the low bidder got the job!! Wonder if he cut any corners and used something a little cheaper and below grade...............