Brace over shower door

HowardBJr

HowardBJr
Does anyone have a modification to solve the problem of hitting your head on the bar that ties the sides of the shower together? I’m 6’2” tall and one of my tests while looking over various fifth wheelers is to check out the headroom in the shower. So I go ahead and step into the shower. I’ve noticed that neither Heartland nor any other brand we’ve looked at has solved the problem of hitting your head on the bar that goes across the top of the shower door even though the Landmark we’re looking at has adequate headroom once you are in the shower. I have hit my head on that bar several times while checking out floor plans for several fifth wheelers and have drawn blood at least once. I’m sure over time I’ll learn to duck before stepping into the shower :D however it would sure be nice to not have to worry about hitting my head on it.

It looks like the bar could be raised closer to the ceiling if you had a vertical brace that you could bolt into the side of the shower where the present bar attaches and then reattach the bar to the top of the brace. Does anyone sell such an item or has anyone made their own? Surely I’m not the only one who has hit that bar with your head.
<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p

Thanks.

Howard

I feel your pain. But that being said, I duck. I also looked at all of the showers out there and ended up with the best of the best. I have the heartland Bighorn and wouldn't trade it for any other brand on the market.
Good luck on your search and before you buy check out all of the other forums.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Howard, I also feel you pain. Im 6' 1" and over 200#'s. Turning sideways and ducking doesnt always work. I really hurts when you bang you head on it. DW tells me not to talk that way. Well it aint her head. IMO, if you raised the bar, how strong would the shower stall be. I solved the problem this way. I wear a helmet (Steelers). You can still wash behind your ears through the ear holes. :p Bob:D:D

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
It's a pain alright. I have a few dents in my noggin as well. Even though I've learned to duck. That rail also supports the two side panels and the door as whole also, so moving it up could affect the support. Now you've got me thinking. Move the rail to the ceiling and come up with some aluminum sheet to close the gap on the sides that would also support the frame. It could be doable.

2010augusta

I learned real fast to DUCK, I'm 6'4" so I do a lot of duck and bob while in the bedroom and bathroom. The roof mounted lights and sliding door tracks are all fair game for my head, but I am lucky I still got all my hair;), so it provides some padding:cool:.

SilverRhino

STILL learning to duck

Being 6'5" I've spent years trying to learn to DUCK quickly......still not there!

And to add insult to injury........all my scars show up very nicely......front receding hairline met the rear receding hairline many moons ago :(

HowardBJr

HowardBJr
It's a pain alright. I have a few dents in my noggin as well. Even though I've learned to duck. That rail also supports the two side panels and the door as whole also, so moving it up could affect the support. Now you've got me thinking. Move the rail to the ceiling and come up with some aluminum sheet to close the gap on the sides that would also support the frame. It could be doable.

It looks like a brace that the height could be adjusted would provide the same support that the existing brace provides to the sides of the shower at very little additional cost to manufacture.
Who makes the shower used in the Landmarks? I may give them a call to see if they such a brace. Whoever incorporated such a brace into their RV would have a leg up on those who don’t at least with those over 6 feet tall. Has anyone made their own brace that will give some extra head room? I have a friend who is a machinist so I may have to ask him to make me a brace when I get my Landmark.

<O:p</O:pIt’s not a deal breaker but it sure hurts when you hit that brace! I guess I could always get a Steelers helmet like Bob’s. :D

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our Landmark has the rounded door that does not have a brace so it is not a problem. Maybe you could change out the shower for one like we have.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Jim, is yours open on top? No ducking? How bout a picture. Thanks!

I must be getting old. I went and relooked at it and it does have a bar over it. It is just high enough (or I am short enough) it does not bother us. I will try to get a photo of it as it is the shower with the rounded door with the big H on it.

Attachments

• MVC-031S.jpeg
    MVC-031S.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 72

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I must be getting old. I went and relooked at it and it does have a bar over it. It is just high enough (or I am short enough) it does not bother us. I will try to get a photo of it as it is the shower with the rounded door with the big H on it.
Looking at the picture, that enclosure looks to be 3 or 4 inches higher than the Bighorn enclosure. I might even clear that one.:p Thanks Jim!

HowardBJr

HowardBJr
I believe it is Frontline.

Jim

Hello Jim,

I called Frontline and they said they only provide the tub itself not the surround or door. Any other ideas on who provides the surround and door for the Landmarks?

<O:p</O:pThanks.<O:p</O:p

Howard