Edge Shell Construction

kampfirekid

I was trying to cure my curiosity and could not find the construction details of the Edge. The Edge literature does not show it, but I did find the video on Heartland's website mentions the entire shell of the Edge is all aluminum. There is no wood in the structure. I assume that means the framing is aluminum as well as the skin. If that does not say tough, I don't know what does.

I am very impressed by the construction of the Edge, and am still considering it as a change. I am disappointed however that the nearest dealer to us is a long way away. We had to take our trailer to Elkhart for service, and it will be over 1,000 miles by the time we get it back.

Redfish

Kampfirekid,
I'm glad you mentioned that video. I didn't know it existed. I have a M21 painted model exactly like the one in the video and sure thought the outer skin was all fiberglass. I'm pretty sure the front and rear caps are fiberglass. I would take something apart to see but mine is in Elkhart because the walls are failing due to lamination issues. That hasn't said tough yet.
Redfish

kampfirekid

Redfish,

I absolutely love the full body paint. I would sell our trailer for a full body painted M-22, but the wallet won't agree to the deal.

Last edited:

Gregsc75

Redfish,

I think I saw your trailer at the factory today. It is inside the building with only the floor left. The walls and roof are missing. The salesman told me what happened to it and they are working on getting back together.

Redfish

Gregsc75,
Thanks for the update. Some of the Heartland guys were supposed to give me updates but I think they have forgotten.
Redfish

kampfirekid

So, we are considering the Edge, too (an M-22). Is this delamination beoming a problem or is this an isolated case? Has Heartland remedied this on future trailers, or ones currently being built? Just asking before we take a plunge.

M

Mcreech

I can tell you the Edge problems were isolated to a few weeks of production and the units weren't delaminating....The problem was the fiberglass was expanding in the heat at a greater rate then what the supplier said it would do, which in return cause some swelling of the units......The Fiberglass suppliers responded as well as our engineering dept......The issue is behind us 100%

Feel free to buy that EDGE

kampfirekid

So, I guess the Edge is actually has welded aluminum wall framing covered with a fiberglass exterior, just like the North Trails, huh?