Shoreline plug

BEETLE

MY SUNDANCE 3300 RLB 50 AMP POWER PLUG IS IN THE REAR , CAUSING ME TO USE AN EXTENSION MOST OF THE TIME AT THE CG . HAS ANYONE EVER INSTALLED A SECOND POWER PLUG NEAR THE FRONT OF THE CAMPER SO ONE 50 AMP CORD WOULD REACH THE CG SHORE LINE PLUG. <!-- / message -->
Tags:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
BEETLE, I guess depending on where your converter and breaker panels are located, it shouldn't be that difficult to do.

StevenJ

Beetle, I have a generator hook-up in the front compartment, you can put one there but you'll have install a transfer switch or install a receiving plug like the one you use now.

thomasinnv

the converter and main panel are both accessible from inside the basement storage compartment. take off the rear bulkhead wall. (the one under the bathroom) you could probably put another plug just rearward of the UDC, there should be room, and you can access the backside from under the bathroom once you remove the bulkhead. (two screw at the UDC and 2 about center of trailer) while your in there, you might double check the 12 volt ground block with all the white wires going to it. it's just sitting on the floor. i had a few wires come loose and lost power to a couple circuits.

BEETLE

Thanks for the quick replies. I have found the converter box and a good location for power plug. I guess I'M trying to figure out how this can be done and have the option of using either plug safely. I thought maybe of using a junction box to connect the two plugs then realized both of the power plugs would be hot which would be a safety issue

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
How about using a junction box with a toggle type switch where you could switch from one to the other depending on which one you wanted to use.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks for the quick replies. I have found the converter box and a good location for power plug. I guess I'M trying to figure out how this can be done and have the option of using either plug safely. I thought maybe of using a junction box to connect the two plugs then realized both of the power plugs would be hot which would be a safety issue
You would need a pretty heavy duty switch for sure to handle 50 amps. It may be easier to devise a method of locking the connection that isn't being used. Or just do away with the rear connection.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
OK, it is time for a dumb question.

My Bighorn has the power on the side of the trailer at the rear. Now it is not in the middle of the rear of the trailer but close to it. I have never had to use an extension. I would like to have one just in case..

I have found that when I pull into a campsite, if I have any question if the cable will reach the shore power I just lay it out and adjust the location of the trailer to where it will connect.

Most shore power pedestals are in the rear or on the side. If they were in the front of the site it could be a problem.

FWIW
BC

2010augusta

I have found that when I pull into a campsite, if I have any question if the cable will reach the shore power I just lay it out and adjust the location of the trailer to where it will connect.

I have done the same on several occasions, but if the cord were any shorter I would have had a problem.

How long are the 50amp cords on the Sundance? Big Horns? The retactable reel has about 34 feet on our Landmark.

BEETLE

The two CG I use most often has the shore power pedestals near front of site . I could adjust the trailer location here power cable would reach if I didn't want my awning over the concrete pad. I think I might like the idea of locking the plug cover that isn't being used.

porthole

Retired

Your could just use a marine type switch.

These are rotary type switches that allow you to be hooked up to either shore power or a genset, but not both.

They are a "break before make" type switch. And they are not inexpensive, but probably cheaper then a 50 amp extension cord.

Many years ago I was in a BoatUS store, and in the discount rack was an odd looking cord, big and fat. Saw that it was a 50 amp 125-250 cord. We call the 50 amp cords either little 50 or big 50 (125 or 250 volts).

Had no use for it but figured for the discount price of $34 why not..... :D

Still have it, never used it and now it will go in the new trailer for an extension cord.