Work around for Porch light and scare light problem.

2010augusta

As many people have noted earlier there is a problem with the wiring for the porch light and door side security light on some of the Landmarks, Big Horns, and Big Countries. The problem is that both lights are wired on the same circuit/switch. I believe I have finally dreamed up a work around to be able to turn on the porch light without the scare light, and still have easy ability to use the security. I am going to tie the porch light onto the step light circuit/switch. I will post up pictures of the process as soon as I find/buy wire tomorrow.

2010augusta

It works!!!!

So Today I got wire to complete the project.

Step 1 - Tear down: I had to remove the outside porch light, the valance over the entry door, the trim on the left-hand side of the door, and the top of the lowest step.

Step 2 - Prep: I had to drill a fairly large (5/8 inch) hole into the metal stud above the door but where still hidden by the valance. I also used a carpet knife to cut a slot in the carpet wrapped on the top side of the lowest step.

Step 3 - Wiring: I cut and taped up the factory 12 volt wire to the porch light. Then I connected about 9 feet of new wire to the light and feed it back into the hole the factory wiring used and ran it about 18 inches down and fished it out the new hole above the door. I then pulled most of the wire into the trailer, and ran it in the gap between the door frame and the wall. Once at the bottom of the door I placed the wire in the groove in the carpet and connect it to the step light switch along with the step light wire.

Step 4 - Put it all back together: reinstall all parts and trim removed in step 1. ;)

Photo 1: outside wiring
Photo 2: new hole above door
Photo 3: wire in carpet groove
Photo 4: connecting porch and step light wires
Photo 5: larger picture of wiring by stair
Photo 6: proof it worked, Oh yeah!
Photo 7: the scare light still works too.

Attachments

• DSCN4478 (Small).JPG
    DSCN4478 (Small).JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCN4479 (Small).JPG
    DSCN4479 (Small).JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN4482 (Small).JPG
    DSCN4482 (Small).JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN4481 (Small).JPG
    DSCN4481 (Small).JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCN4480 (Small).JPG
    DSCN4480 (Small).JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN4483 (Small).JPG
    DSCN4483 (Small).JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCN4484 (Small).JPG
    DSCN4484 (Small).JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 145

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Strange. My 3670 has 3 separate switches. One each for either security light and the center one for the porch light. The step light is down on the step, where you wired your porch light to. No problem with turning on an unwanted light. QC in the wiring department??

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
I concur my 3055 has three switches also. the same as yours and mine is an 08

2010augusta

John and butch, This is a problem that is only on some early 2010 models. The factory said the only way they could fix it was to return to Elkhart and remove/pill back part of the roof and rewire that part of the coach.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
Why would they change something that already worked?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Why would they change something that already worked?

We can only hope that the individual(s) responsible for this were taken outside, had their buttons ripped off, slapped in the face, and kicked out the front gate. Like in the old French Foreign Legion movies.

caissiel

Individual s/w for the 2 Scare lights is a great Idea, Will have to keep that in mind as my 2 scare lights, light up together but seperate from the Porch light. I have to open 2 doors to press the s/w for the ceiling lights because the switch is in line with the door edges, been planning to move the swithes, but now will look into adding an other one for one of the scare light.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Laurent, contact Heartland and get a 3 switch plate and wire the "scare lights" seperately. That is an easy fix for you. Alan's issue is a little different that yours. Bob:D

caissiel

Thanks, I will get to that when I settle in Florida. The list of modifications has been growing, so I will have fun doing improvements like this