Landing gear fuses

ralphpam

After reading about blown fuses in the landing gear I went looking for the fuses and can not find them. The only thing I found in the battery compartment is a white rocker switch the I have no idea what it does. My fifth wheel is a 2010 3670 RL. Could someone let me know where the fuses are and what the rocker switch is for? I have traced the wires from the motor with no luck.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Ralph, the white rocker switch in mine runs the slides. The inline fuse holder should be close to the battery. Bob:D

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
After reading about blown fuses in the landing gear I went looking for the fuses and can not find them. The only thing I found in the battery compartment is a white rocker switch the I have no idea what it does. My fifth wheel is a 2010 3670 RL. Could someone let me know where the fuses are and what the rocker switch is for? I have traced the wires from the motor with no luck.

The white rocker switch is to operate the slides from outside the trailer. Just above it should be a manifold with four black knobs on it. These allow you to select which slides will actually move, like if you only wanted the bedroom slide to extend for an overnight stop, leaving the others retracted. I believe the fuses are under the red caps behind the battery box. The switch and manifold should have been explained to you during your PDI.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Here's the fuse for my Cyclone...//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=4716&stc=1&d=1249908580

Attachments

• Front Jack Fuse Location.JPG
    Front Jack Fuse Location.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 183

jbeletti

I received some news on this from production. This is for plant 2 only and is relevant to Bighorn and Big Country only.

From the beginning at plant 2, we used the self-resetting mini-breakers (red caps near the battery) for the front jacks.

On or about July 13, 2009, pursuant to instruction by Lippert, we began using a 30 amp fuse.

Whichever your unit has, the breaker or the fuse will be located in the battery area.

I do not know why we were instructed to make this change. Sorry.

With regard to Landmark, they all use a 50 amp mini-breaker.

Jim

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Jim B,
When I had our Classic Landmark worked on at Lippert I was told to add a second 50 amp breaker because the first 50 amp breaker would trip after about 1 minute. I have done that and had no more tripping problems.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I received some news on this from production. This is for plant 2 only and is relevant to Landmark (non-classic), Bighorn and Big Country only.

From the beginning at plant 2, we used the self-resetting mini-breakers (red caps near the battery) for the front jacks.

On or about July 13, 2009, pursuant to instruction by Lippert, we began using a 30 amp fuse.

Whichever your unit has, the breaker or the fuse will be located in the battery area.

Jim

One of the first things I went looking for when I got the trailer was the jack fuse and what I found was what you described-runs through a breaker. Glad the trailer was built prior to this change.

2010augusta

I received some news on this from production. This is for plant 2 only and is relevant to Landmark (non-classic), Bighorn and Big Country only.

Jim

Jim: does this only apply to units with electric landing gear and/or electric slides? Since the Landmarks have hydraulic systems the power requirements to run the pump should be much less than the motors, right?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm going to have to check out those red things near the battery. All this time I thought they were rubber caps covering the lugs. I'll post a follow up.

jbeletti

Jim: does this only apply to units with electric landing gear and/or electric slides? Since the Landmarks have hydraulic systems the power requirements to run the pump should be much less than the motors, right?

Alan - good question. I am asking the plant now.

Jim

jbeletti

Jim B,
When I had our Classic Landmark worked on at Lippert I was told to add a second 50 amp breaker because the first 50 amp breaker would trip after about 1 minute. I have done that and had no more tripping problems.

Jim - The classic LMs were done differently so I do not feel that applies to the new LMs. Glad you got yours working perfectly.

I had zero landing gear issues with my classic LM and zero with my new LM. As Alan alluded to, it is likely that the electrical load is less with the hydraulic landing gear. Plus when you run them to max, while it does strain the motor/pump, it's much harder to make it fail vs. the electric jacks motor.

Jim

Tom of Ypsi

Jim & Jim,

Never had any problems with our hydraulic jacks until this week. The jacks stopped working as I lifted them but within one minute they were right back on. I attributed it to the jacks being out to their fullest. We were on a hill and we were so nose high that after set up I was just a couple of inches shy from walking upright under the front cap.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I'm going to have to check out those red things near the battery. All this time I thought they were rubber caps covering the lugs. I'll post a follow up.

Ray you will find 2 resets ,there on the left side of the wiring block. I tripped one when I was manually moving the slides separately
one day. I finally found a picture in the almost useless operating manual about the resets and got things going again.....Kenny

jbeletti

Jim & Jim,

Never had any problems with our hydraulic jacks until this week. The jacks stopped working as I lifted them but within one minute they were right back on. I attributed it to the jacks being out to their fullest. We were on a hill and we were so nose high that after set up I was just a couple of inches shy from walking upright under the front cap.

Sounds like you popped the mini-breaker and then it reset Tom. Not sure why having it nearly fully extended popped it, unless there was some added strain to lift the pin weight higher than it has even gone. :confused:

While we have to use the fuses if Lippert tells us to, nothing stops retail from replacing the fuses with breakers. Just bear in mind that if yours comes with fuses from Heartland, that changing it to a breaker will likely gain you some grief from Lippert should you have any warranty concerns in that area. If Lippert ever suggests you replace a fuse with a breaker or to add a second breaker and if you are still within their warranty period, consider asking them to send you an email with that suggestion. Then retain a hard copy of that email with your manual (just in case) :rolleyes:

Jim

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Jim & Jim,

Tom, the same was happening to me. That is why Lippert told me to add a 2nd 50 amp circuit breaker. You have a 'Classic' Landmark as us so maybe that is what you will need to do also. The tech at Lippert told me the circuit is wired for 100 amps and didn't know why they put only a 50 amp breaker in it.

jbeletti

I updated my factory response in a previous reply in this thread (post # 5).

Note that Landmark (classic and current) use a 50 amp mini-breaker and not a fuse as I previously stated.

Jim

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
thanks jim for the modification link to bighorn. hopefully we can get some new stuff listed.
you ever get down to lake charles, la., give me a shout. plenty of cajun food to go around and i know you will enjoy it.
kenny