New to Fifth Wheel and have SuperSlide Question?

icur12

New to Fifth Wheel and have SuperGlide Question?

To whomever can assist!!

I have hade a travel trailer for years and my wife and I decided to upgrade to a fifth wheel recently. We have a 2008 Toyota Tundra Crewmax with short bed so we opted for the Pull Rite SuperGlide. When I make the corners at slow speed the hitch assembly slams pretty hard when it hits the end and also when I striaghten back up. It jerks us pretty good. Is this normal? I was hoping this hitch would slide pretty smooth but it hits pretty hard.

Any thoughts on this? Again, I am new to fifth wheels so if this is normal, great!! It would make me feel a lot better. I am just hoping something is not wrong with my assembly. Other than that it tows great. As smooth as can be. It is just the turns that are slow like when you come to a stop sign and have to make a right or left turn. It jolts us then.

Thanks in advanced for any input!!

Pete

Last edited:

driver311

i have no complaints with mine. i have used it close to 500000 miles and all i have done is lube it and keep it clean. i have no jerk when turning or stating up.

driver311NoneNone

porthole

Retired
If it is a PullRite Superglide check your manual for the adjustments. That sounds like the stops are out.

I just did over 800 miles with my new hitch and trailer (about 13K) and couldn't be happier with it. No noise - banging.

porthole

Retired
RE the Superglide failure. I have been following that since it happened. He has yet to say if his father exceeded 90 degrees or not.

Now that I have experience with the hitch, that is what looks like happened in this instance. You absolutely cannot go more then 90 degrees with the Superglide or it will fail.

icur12

Yes, it is definitly the SuperGlide, my typing mistake!!! So there should be stops on this that I can adjust? My dealer put it on for me so I am not sure of the internal workings to good. I really am not sure how the whole thing works besdies seeing the groove and understanding that it slides down the groove when turning. They did not do a very good job at descibing things to me and showing me what to do because they were upset that the salesman quoted me the wrong price to do the job.

porthole

Retired
That is no excuse.

PullRite customer service is good, call or email them and they will get you the info you need.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I would be careful about towing until you get the hitch adjusted and lubed properly. If it is new and the dealer put it in I would certainly give the dealer a call and tell him about it.

porthole

Retired
I would be careful about towing until you get the hitch adjusted and lubed properly. If it is new and the dealer put it in I would certainly give the dealer a call and tell him about it.

Jim is right, you should not be experiencing the issue you have. Maybe something more then just an adjustment.

The Superglides are well built, but "stuff" happens.

icur12

Thanks guys!! Now I am pretty nervous!! I have a big trip we leave for on Wednesday next week and hope we can figure this out by then!!! I have an email and phone message into Pullrite right now so I hope to get this resolved. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks again.

Pete

bill40

I used the pull-Rite system for over five years and never had the problem you are having. Mine was one of the very early units. They seem to be a good company I think they should beable to help with this.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
We have the pullrite 18K super duper glide LOL, and there is an adjustment at the back of the hitch that u can tighten or loosen. Also pull rite recommends a green/yellow spray can to lube the slider. It is dry graphite and below info is from the pullrite web site. I also hope you got the capture plate that is a quick connect and has a spacer on it to avoid your truck rails.
Below is directly from their web site about both subjects.

The new QuickConnect Capture Plate simply slips up over the king pin; set screws secure it to the king pin box. When the trailer is hooked up to the hitch, the QuickConnect Capture Plate will function and allow the trailer to guide the SuperGlide hitch to move when turns are being made.
SlipPlate Graphite Spray
Spray on Graphite Paint coating cures overnite to a hard, dry, long lasting protective barrier and eliminates the need for grease on SuperGlide hitch “way tubes”. Stays on longer than grease, and keeps things clean & dust free.
Call Pullrite or E-Mail Customer Service for Ordering Information - (800) 443-2307
sg_slipplate.jpg