Disappointed

e63a6

I just received an E-Mail message from Heartland asking me to update/add to my profile. I have not visited this sight for some time, and this E-Mail prompted me to return. I am very impressed with this sight in all aspects, especially the connection with the factory. I have been intensely searching for the right fifth wheel. I have sold mine and I have narrowed my choices down. I am disappointed because I finally made the decision that I will not purchase a fifth wheel with particleboard in it. Most brands use it, even the high end ones. I have found only two brands that use plywood. Heartland (Bighorn) appears to have good quality, and I very much like the floor plan and the weights. This sight remains a good source for information, however I am disappointed that I will not be purchasing a Landmark so I could join in the fun.

Lynn

jbeletti

Hi Lynn,

The email you got was from me. I run this site. It is not run by Heartland. Only an enthusiast.

With regard to your quote "...however I am disappointed that I will not be purchasing a Landmark so I could join in the fun.", do you mean the Rally? if so, the rally was open to all owners of any Heartland RV product. We had about a 50/50 split of Bighorn and Landmark owners plus one Cyclone. It was a lot of fun.

If you have any questions at all about Heartland RV products, feel free to fire away in the right location on this forum. Each product line has a forum here and there are sub-forums under each product line. Add your questions where they fit best and sit back and wait for actual owners/users to get back to you.

If you have a question that is best answered by the factory, each product has an Ask the Factory sub-forum. Have your questions answered by an actual co-owner and VP of Heartland RVs.

Happy camping,

Jim

e63a6

Jim,

Thanks for the reply; I am not surprised I received it. As I said this form is top notch. I misquoted when I said Landmark. I was looking at the Bighorn line due to the weight. No. I was not referring to the rally, just ownership in general and adding to this forum. I have never owned a Heartland product and I have sold my Forest River in anticipation of purchasing another brand, but none have an owners forum like this one. My hat is off to you for your hard work and the factory participation.

Lynn

ct0218

Just curious about your feelings concerning particleboard. What location is particleboard used that concerns you? As a builder of high -end homes, it would bother me if it was used in subfloors, etc., but as a substrate for cabinets and furniture it is not a problem. If you consider the Structurwood used in the subfloor of Heartland RV's as particleboard, then you have received erroneous information. Structurwood is essentially the same as Advantech, just different manufacturers. It is extremely dense, hard, flat, resistant to swelling and water damage, and generally costs the same or more than plywood. I stopped using plywood 8 years ago because this is a far better product, and it is not even remotely related to particleboard. The fact that it is one solid continuous sheet with no joints is another advantage--stiffer, fewer squeaks. Structurwood is an OSB type product, but it is not the same as the typical sheathing you would use for roofing or walls. Floor sheathing has a different standard to adhere to, and is manufactured using a completely different process. I have a piece of Advantech that has been laying around a masonry sand pile at my home in the NC mountains for 2 1/2 years--rain, snow, 3 hurricanes, and it is in very good condition. I know of no plywood product that would have lasted that long, or even close to it. Do a little investigation, it may surprise you. These are great coaches!

Zac

Thank you so very much for the lesson on the Structure board! We go fulltime in May 2007 and are 99.9% sure of getting the Landmark Grand Canyon when we do. I'll admit, I've seen discussions elsewhere about the Stucture board and was a bit worried. But, I am so sold on the Landmark, I was willing to cross my fingers about it. Now I feel a lot better. Thanks for sharing your expertise. It means a lot.

phranc

I'm sure the 500 thousand dollar monaco class A could use any product they chose at that price point. They chose Structure board ..And so does Heartland ...Works for me,too......

ct0218 said:
If you consider the Structurwood used in the subfloor of Heartland RV's as particleboard, then you have received erroneous information. Structurwood is essentially the same as Advantech, just different manufacturers. !
-------------------

If that's the case then why did Weyerhaeuser Corp reduce their 25 year warranty on RV products to one year?

Look around the other forums and you'll find people who are very disapointed with OSB Board (flooring and roof).:confused:

svd

Bill,
I don't understand the relevance of your statement about warranty. Is there a plywood manufacturer that warranties RV applications for 25 years? I remember reading about this issue before I purchased, and it seemed to be mis-communication more than anything. Anyway, here is an interesting article: http://www.umass.edu/bmatwt/publications/articles/osb_vs_plywood.html

It seems that use of the correct material for the correct application is what is important here.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
root of the problem-my 2 cents

Maybe we should concentrate more on the root of the problem-water. Obviously if water cannot get to the wood product, the our worries would be over,regardless if it is plywood or OSB.
I have owned many trailers I have yet to have any trouble with flooring. I also have not had any trouble with water. Maybe I'm lucky. Anyway, having built our house (1994) during the fall and winter months, and having OSB as the sub floor, we have not encountered any problems. Yes, it did see quite a bit of rain and snow but there hasn't been any problem. I am a firm believer in the OSB product because of this experience. Regardless of the warranty from the manufacturer, I still believe that the OSB products are far superior in todays market than the were years ago.

I have been reading many of the forums regarding plywood versus OSB and it seems as though some people have a very powerful opinion one way or another. Some people like myself do not have as strong of an opinion and continue on. The manufacturers on the other hand have many years experience in their field and definitely feel as if the product they choose for their trailers is the best for their customer. Unfortunately for the customer, we do not get to dictate our wishes with regards to this type of structural component without getting into the entire "custom built" products offered by other manufacturers (at a considerable price increase). So let's look at the facts:
1) Water is the enemy not the wood product.
2) Manufacturers decide what to use not the customer.

I bet if you were to try and look for a manufactures warranty on wood products for your house you would be just as suprised to find they aren't very good. Even so, you still live in that house, right? :cool:

ct0218

Until I retired a couple of years ago the ONLY floor sheathing that we would put down and warranty was Advantech (OSB family). I would not warrant a plywood product even one week. Before the dense OSB came along there was no choice but plywood and swelling and delamination was common with it. Even worse was the buckling that developed from humidity and made it very difficult to lay. The Advantech went down in half to two thirds the time it took for plywood. The floor decking is not the same as wall sheathing. Go to a lumber yard that carries both and check them out. The OSB floor decking weighs a LOT more than any plywood because of the binders and whatever it is they use to keep it from absorbing water. I have also used their roof decking ILO regular OSB and 4 ply plywood (3 ply is worthless) and though it is much more expensive than the alternatives you end up with a FLAT roof that can take much more exposure to the elements without damage.

lbhayden

We just received our 3075 Big Country. It came in very good condition and dealer prep had to be a breeze. We had JT Stabilizers installed and took delivery. At first we were upset with the stabilizers that were allowing a bounce when we moved around, until we happened to watch as each other walked across the vinyl in the kitchen and saw a substantial movement of the floor. When I checked the bedroom it happened there. With a bouncing movement the floor actually made a tapping sound when it came into contact with the frame. Heartland has said that is normal but we find it very upsetting. Any solutions out there?

Lynn & Barb