DeSoto State Park

truknutt

Committed Member
Just returned from 5 days in DeSoto State Park near Fort Payne, Alabama on Lookout Mountain.

"In the rustic tradition of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), Desoto State Park is accented by rushing waterfalls and fragrant wildflowers. The atmosphere of the CCC further enhances the restaurant, lodge and cabin facilities. Nestled atop beautiful scenic Lookout Mountain in northeast Alabama, this 3,502-acre park provides Mountain Chalets, Log & Rustic Cabins, Motel Rooms, Meeting Rooms, and also has both Improved & Primitive campgrounds. Also features a picnic area with playground, Olympic-size swimming pool, nature center with interpretive programs and live animals, tennis courts, & 15 miles of hiking & mountain biking trails. DeSoto State Park is located eight miles northeast of Fort Payne, Alabama."

This is a beautiful park. After their MAJOR improvement project, the 94 sites are all paved and include water, sewer, 20, 30 & 50 amp electric and cable tv services. The campground is a "gated community" in that a pass code is provided at check-in to allow access for only the authorized! Even the "primitive" camping area uses a key to gain access.

Not knowing what to expect we opted for a Pull-Thru site that ended up being large enough to hold the 450 and 3210 with parking for 2 more vehicles side-by-side behind the Cyclone. (The Outlaws came for a visit!) :rolleyes:

The pups & I toured the rest of the campgrounds and discovered that anyone could easily get into one of the back in sites. We also found that the pull-thrus had less real estate separating neighbors (note to self). ;)

Sunday brunch is served at the park's restaurant; $8-all you can eat!! After sweating out what had to be 2 gallons of liquid libations while packing up the rig for departure, I had the opportunity to utilize one of the 2 new handicap-accessible shower/laundry houses. It was so clean it actually was sparkling. I almost hated to use it but riding home with the windows down wasn't an option, nor would it have helped!! :eek:

If you ever find yourselves near Exit 222 of I-59, I highly recommend a visit to this park. :p

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Sounds like a terrific place to spend a few quiet days. We're going to have to change your screen name to Travlin-Nutt. All the way from Alabama to the PA rally. That's a lot of hauling (even if you do live pretty close:)).

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We are not too far from Ft Payne and will have to check this one out. You are a great saleman becuz you make it sound great. Last time I was at Ft Payne was in '92 for a Boy Scout Woodbadge course and don't remember seeing this state park. Thanks for the info.
Byrd

truknutt

Committed Member
We are not too far from Ft Payne and will have to check this one out. You are a great saleman becuz you make it sound great. Last time I was at Ft Payne was in '92 for a Boy Scout Woodbadge course and don't remember seeing this state park. Thanks for the info.
Byrd

We passed Comer Boy Scout Reservation on the backroad into the park (not recommended while towing tall rigs). Attached is a photo of the entrance to the reservation..impressive to say the least!!

Attachments

• ComerScoutReservation.jpg
    ComerScoutReservation.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 11

truknutt

Committed Member
Sounds like a terrific place to spend a few quiet days. We're going to have to change your screen name to Travlin-Nutt. All the way from Alabama to the PA rally. That's a lot of hauling (even if you do live pretty close:)).

We're making up for last year; 350 wasn't stout enough to pull the heavy beast so had to wait for the new truck. :rolleyes:

Nabo

Truknutt - thanks for the picture and yes, that's the place. Spent over a week there and it is a beautiful scout camp. I do remember the heavy tree cover and twisting roads. Will have to find the other way you got to the state park.
Byrd

truknutt

Committed Member
Truknutt - thanks for the picture and yes, that's the place. Spent over a week there and it is a beautiful scout camp. I do remember the heavy tree cover and twisting roads. Will have to find the other way you got to the state park.
Byrd

FROM TENNESSEE:
Exit 222 I-59
Left onto US-11 (Greenhill Blvd NW)
Left onto AL-35 (5th street NE turns into Wallace Ave NE)
Up the long grade to flashing yellow (Cement Block Restaurant on right corner is owned by Jeff Cook, guitarist/fiddler/banjo player from Alabama fame, or so I'm told by my BIL)
Left onto County Route 89 (DeSoto Pkwy NE)
You'll run right into the park (if you don't slow to the posted 25 mph, you'll run into a massive boulder!)
2nd right after the boulder is the country store/campground registration entrance.

Nabo

Truknutt - thanks for the directions. Will copy and print and put in the BC for the future.

dieselsweetheart

"In the rustic tradition of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), Desoto State Park is accented by rushing waterfalls and fragrant wildflowers. The atmosphere of the CCC further enhances the restaurant, lodge and cabin facilities. Nestled atop beautiful scenic Lookout Mountain in northeast Alabama, this 3,502-acre park provides Mountain Chalets, Log & Rustic Cabins, Motel Rooms, Meeting Rooms, and also has both Improved & Primitive campgrounds. Also features a picnic area with playground, Olympic-size swimming pool, nature center with interpretive programs and live animals, tennis courts, & 15 miles of hiking & mountain biking trails. DeSoto State Park is located eight miles northeast of Fort Payne, Alabama."

Now Truckie, you know I'm a teacher....you didn't cite your source! :)

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
We have not been there since the renovation but will be attempting a visit soon. We have heard nothing but great things regarding the newly renovated Park. It was VERY NICE before!

We stayed in a back-in with lots of buffer between us and both next door neighbors. It was very well kept, sanitary with wonderful people operating it.

Stinger381

we visted that campsite last summer for the 4th of July .... It was the trip from **** for me personally but the campsite was equisite! We blew out a tire on I-59 and then the spare was low on air so I had to get some air before we could continue. We had to also wait out a 2 hour traffic jam on the way through Birmingham too! We loved the campground and got a pull thru site. We were late arriving and the security guard told us to go on in and gave us the code to the gate. He gave me directions to the tire store to get a new spare and he told us to just check in tomorrow when we had time. The park was very clean, the sites were spacious, and the neighbors were great! It was about 10 degrees cooler up in the campground versus the rest of lower Alabama too! I will definitely be going back to DeSoto but not via I-59. I left my lantern holder while we were there too, has anybody seen it ???

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Glad to hear about this park being so nice. We have a trip to Ft. Payne we need to make this year to see the grandkids who live on top of the mountain (Sand Mt.)

Stinger381

You will love it .... A very clean, nice park with large campsites and CABLE too! I tried to get a last minute campsite for the Memorial Day weekend but it was booked up ! Oh well maybe next time !