Caulking - How to reapply when needed

Dave

Traveling Two
The chalk is seperating and or cracking between the camper side and molding. Question is do I apply chalk over the crack or remove the defective chalk and reaply. The crack doesn't appear to deep but one never knows for sure. The chalk I've used to patch holes and applied over screws to prevent leaking is ProFlexRV by Geocel, costs about $9.00 a tube. It cures hard so I'm not sure if this is the best chalk to use between molding and the camper side. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
With a name like "ProFlex" you'd think it would be, well, flexible:). I would use a true flexible caulk wherever there may be a little movement between joints. And I would remove the bad caulk if it's not too difficult. It'll look cleaner and probably seal better.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Dave, Heartland uses Sikaflex 521 UV for the side and cap trim on their trailers. I'm not familiar with the brand you mentioned but it may work just fine. You would be well advised to try and determine if the molding is separating from the wall. I would remove as much old caulk from the existing seam, re-caulk and watch it for a while to see if it continues to separate or if this was a one time occurrence.

Dave

Traveling Two
Thanks guys for the quick reply, I'm trying to find a local marine shop that sells the Sikaflex 521 UV. Thanks again.

trvlrerik

You might also try to look at a concrete supply place. An equivalent I have used is Sonnaborn brand Ultra, it is very flexable and will adhere to any dry, clean surface and is very UV resistant.
Concrete supply houses can order most any Sikaflex or Sonneborn as it is used in structural concrete work.

irvin56

I used marine (boat) chaulking

I purchased at a boat shop. Not the same name as what's on the link. But it's made spacifically for boats.

Works SUPER, from our cold winters up here to hot weather upper 80's

It has held up great and is very flexable. has not seperated from the fiberglass bottom of front cap.

It's in my trailer and it's in storage so I could not give you the name untill Sept 4, our next trip.

I used a cleaning agent to wipe down edges, after removing ALL the old stuff. they resealed it.

That was june of 2008. still look new and is a perfect match for the white sides

tmcran

Irvin---upper 80' are hot? Come down to Texas where upper 80's is cool in the summer. Today we are warm at only 98. :)

irvin56

trade you

Our cold is 40 to 50 below.:(

90 or more is too much for me. :eek:

I'd head north in summer

winter down south would be nice,

God I can't wait to RETIRENone

tmcran

Yep, 40 below is to cold for me. Same to ya on the 103 ---hot and dry.

We just got back from Mt Rushmore last week. Really nice in the AM and got up to about 78-80 in the day. Hated to come back to the 100's.