watch for heat stroke in your pets

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
While we do not travel with our pets we do have pets. Baxter is our "mutt"I guess is what you would call him,and the other one is or was named Sampson.He was a Golden Lab about 13 years old.Best dog I have ever owned. Loved everyone.If I did it,he did it. Loved to ride in the back of the truck,golf car,car it didn"t matter.We live out in the country so both our dogs always ran wild and free.If Sampson wasn't at our house he was at my sisters house next door.So he really had two families that loved him.Well Saturday morning, around 7:30, Renee and I went walking and even though Sampson walked slower than we did,because of his hips and his age,he was there with us.Shortly after we got home we heard a dog yelping like he was in pain.We walked outside and Sampson was having a siezure.We rushed him to the vet.Long story short,Sampson had a heat stroke,according to the vet and he died today.He was a good friend and I have lots of good memories.

Rigmover06

Sorry to hear about your loss. Our baby is a big a part of the family as the kids.
He travels with me everywhere.
My condolences to you and yours.
Dan

2010augusta

Sorry to hear about your loss, We could not be without our two dogs, thay are such a big part of our live, They have been to a bout a dozen states and just as many national parks. During the summer it is so important to make sure they are staying cool and have plenty of water.

Attachments

• DSCN1614 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1614 (Small).JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN1484 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1484 (Small).JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN1449 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1449 (Small).JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN1496 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1496 (Small).JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 9

jgilbert

Our Maggie is our constant traveling companion. She has been in a multitude of states and parks. We don't travel without her. Debbie has been trying to get me to go on a cruise, but I really don't want to leave Maggie for even a week. It is truly amazing how our dogs become our best friends. :)

Joe

Attachments

• P1000772.jpg
    P1000772.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 11

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
So sorry to hear of your loss. We've lost 2 in the last 8 months so we know how you feel. Sampson can keep PJ and Ziggy company at the rainbow bridge until we are all ready to join them.
Kristy

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
Sorry to hear the loss of your fur baby they do become our kids ,our hearts go out to you TRAVELER07

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Terry & Renee, We're so sorry to hear of the loss of your best friend. I know our Suzi's time is coming one day and I dread that day. I know you'll keep Sampson in your hearts.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Very sorry to hear about Sampson...lost out beloved yellow lab Brandi in 05'...and it is still something that brings tears to my eyes. He will always be a part of you in mind and spirit, as our Brandi is to us...best wishes.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We are sorry to hear about Sampson and know there will be an empty spot in your family. Sampson has taught us all a lesson about how we need to be mindful about our pets reaction to the summertime heat. Our two are 'house dogs' therefore are not accustomed to the severe Texas or other places for that matter heat. They are air-conditioned dogs. Once again you have our sympathies.

dieselsweetheart

So sorry to hear about Sampson! Although I do not have a dog, I just spent the weekend with a friend who has 3 goldens and they are wonderful dogs...so attentive to me even though I was basically a stranger in their home...

truknutt

Committed Member
Terry & Renee,

So very sorry to hear of your loss. I'm sure he lived a full and happy life with you. Watch out for Baxter as he grieves; loss of appetite & energy are some of the signs.

Thank you for passing on this information as we sometimes fail to notice changes in our dog's daily routine. As a side note: be mindful while walking your dogs on the hot pavement & concrete as this really plays havoc on their pads.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Thanks for everyones kind words.It has been strange the last couple of days coming home without seeing Sampson laying in the driveway waiting on us.We will always remember him.

Draco Dog

I am so very sorry for your loss. I sit here with tears streaming down my face. We lost Pepe, a toy, chocolate brown poodle a few years ago. He was a very important part of our family for 16 years.

About 3 months after Pepe went to doggie heaven, we agreed to get another furry friend. So we let Draco into our hearts and our lives.

Draco is a Bichon Frise. While he will never take the place of Pepe, he has eased the hurt and the pain. Draco is now 9 years old and is becoming a senior citizen like myself and my husband. We always take him with us and are very cautions of him being alone when it is either too hot or too cold.

I am wondering what we need to watch out for regarding heat stroke in our furry friends.

Please, always know that Sampson loved you just as much as you loved him.

Bless You and God Bless You.