Front Jacks on ElkRidge 34RLSA

Paul_in_MN

Hi All!

This is my first post to this forum (but I've sure read a lot of others). I am new to 5th wheeling and the new Elk Ridge 34RLSA. So far I have just been "playing with it" (really trying to get to know it) as it is in our kind of big back yard. The yard does not have a nice level spot, so I followed the Heartland instruction book and pulled it forward on a substancial ramp to raise the right side about 6". That leveled it right to left. I blocked all 4 wheels and unhooked from the truck and was using the front landing jack to raise the trailer front. I used the pull pins on the leg extensions to get both legs in contact with 2x6's on the ground. And then activated the "ext" switch. Everything was going smoothly, no sound of the jack motor straining. I lifted the front about 7 to 8 ", stopped and checked for level and needed more lift on the front. So when I hit the "ext" button again, absolutely nothing happened, no sound, no groan. I find a 30 amp fuse in the wire harness going to the jack switch and it looks OK. The jack motor was about the same temperature as the rest of the metal, no heat noted by feel. I found the jack handle and per instructions turned counter clockwise with a bit of effort seemingly raising the front a bit more.

Now the jack motor will not run in either direction. No noise, no humm. And now the jack motor gearbox seems tight to the cross shaft.

Did I do something wrong?? The battery is up, and there is no difference with the cord plugged into the truck with engine running. I let it sit for more than an hour and came back to try it again, and again nothing happened.

I appreciate the advice of you experienced 5ers!

Paul in MN

jimtoo

Hi Paul in MN

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here and hope you enjoy the forum.

I moved your post to the Elk Ridge area and I'm sure someone will jump in here and give you some help or ideas on other things to check.

Jim M

2010augusta

I'm not entirely sure but 7-8" might be the lift limit for the front landing gear. I have hit the limit once and I had to bump the retract switch a few times in rapid secession to get the trailer to lower again. At the time I had forgot to lower the extensions to the ground before raising it to unhitch, both hit the ground and then stopped, raised the legs, extended them and tried again, and it wor//heartlandowners.org/forumdisplay.php?f=248ked fine. You might need to have a taller base under the landing gear, or find a more level area.

Paul_in_MN

Good Morning to All,

Thanks to Jim and Alan for their very quick replies!

The good news is that I found the problem, and it was the black feed wire going to the front rocker jack switch. Somehow that one wire had come off the spade connection on the back of the switch. Of course it was hidden beneath the electrical insulator sheath protecting all the wires to the switch. I haven't even put stuff in the front compartment so I do not think it was bumped by anything. The jack works fine now, with the wire reconnected. The jack seemed to have no problem with extending the motorized legs out 19" below the coach frame. That measurement does not include the pinned adjustable section.

Thanks for the help!

Paul in MN

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
You should also check that there are no loose wires on the switch itself. We had that problem.

Paul_in_MN

Gus,

BINGO!! You hit it on the nose! I had submitted a reply with my "success" story about an hour ago, but it hasn't posted yet. Thanks for your reply, and Happy Camping!!

Paul in MN

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Paul, another thing to remember. When extending or retracting the front jacks, try not to go beyond the limits of full extension or retraction. This can cause problems with the gear drive reduction unit. Either paint a line or put some tape on the legs as a reminder when to stop retracting.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Gus,

BINGO!! You hit it on the nose! I had submitted a reply with my "success" story about an hour ago, but it hasn't posted yet. Thanks for your reply, and Happy Camping!!

Paul in MN

Paul,

Always happy to lend a hand. Glad you got the problem resolved fairly easily. Hope everything else is going well in beautiful Minnesota. My oldest son lives in Eden Prairie, just SW of Minneapolis. We were just there in July to see our new Grandson.

Gus