Camp Hale, Colorado

skyguy

Camp Hale is located about 25 miles north of Leadville Colorado, on US24. It was established in 1942, as a training area for the 10th Mountain Division. The area was deactivated as a military site in 1965, and turned over to the Forest Service.

Two years ago, the forest service agressively tried to ban helter-skelter camping in the area by closing off all access "roads". Having camped here since the 1960's, I was really dismayed!

We returned in June 2009 to just check things out, and found many of the pervious roads no longer blocked off - don't know if the Forest Service did that, or campers, but in any case, we were thrilled!

There is a small official campground at the south end of the area, but it is poorly kept up, sports a couple water spigots, outhouses, small almost level campsites, and a dumpster. All for a fee.

The place to camp however, is anywhere but there! And it's FREE! We choose to be centrally located, down one of the original roads. and park right next to the Eagle River.

If you are travelling through central Colorado, and want a beautiful place to spend a few days, I highly recommend the area. You are within a few miles of Leadville, Mt of the Holy Cross, Vail, Copper Mtn, etc. No reservations ever needed, or taken!

Here's a couple photos, looking south, then north. Afternoon thunderstorms are common in July and August, but usually clear by sunset. It can be cool at night, even in August. It dipped to 26 degrees the last morning we were here in 2009.

Yes that's our old SOB, prior to the 3670 we have now.

Attachments

• p974543699-3.jpg
    p974543699-3.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 36
  • p743272250-3.jpg
    p743272250-3.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 37

2010augusta

been there many times. would camp there before we would drive up to Holy cross city in the Jeeps. Stayed at the campground before we got the LM, just slept in the bed of my '94 F-350 with a topper, cook on the tailgate, so we needed the outhouse.

skyguy

Wow - one of the few places I never made it to. Was raining pretty good, and the rocks were slick, and we chickened out...

Would still like to get there, but don't have an old beater Jeep any more!

Al