Under Step Storage

Triber

We have an '09 Big Horn 3670 RL. I was looking at the steps leading up to the bedroom/bathroom one day and realized that the carpet was looking a bit ratty and that the cover for the storage bin in the hall floor was very uneven. I decided to upgrade the entire area. I figured that the space under the steps was wasted area and could be used for extra storage.

After taking the treads off and checking out the construction (2" X 2" and OSB covered with carpet), I didn't see any major issues. After taking careful measurement of the treads and risers, I prefabbed new steps using 3/4" Fir plywood for the substructure and Hickory boards for the treads and risers. I decided on Hickory because I was able to match the color with the cabinetry in the rig and it is a very attractive wood, although very hard and requiring a lot of work to plane and sand. I braced the sub structure corners with 2" X 2" cut on a 45 degree bias and then glued and screwed the corners. I assembled the treads and risers so that all screws were from the inside so that no screw heads show on the finished part of the stairs. I prefinished all of the steps with stain and 5 coats of Diamond Varathane clear. I installed the treads with a 1" strip at the back and piano hinge so the the treads could be opened, thus making the area underneath usable storage space.

The next step was removing the old stairs and making up and installing a side panel on the left side of the stairs where the carpet panel had been removed. I held my breath as I lifted the new steps into place but they fit very well. The only glitch was that I had to modify the lower tread so that it cleared the front door frame.

Once I had finished the steps, I removed the carpet from the hall way and installed high end cork flooring. I had to remove the large hinge on the storage cover and modify the lid so that it was flush with the new floor. Once that was accomplished, I installed two recessed brass lift handles for removal of the cover.

The net result is a much more attractive hall and stairs area with more usable storage and a beautiful, rich wood finish which is easy to clean.

Attachments

• 100_1616.jpg
    100_1616.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 532
  • 100_1613.jpg
    100_1613.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
Very clever!! Not only that but a beautiful job too! I bet others are going to rethink that space now. Thank you for posting the pictures.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Wholly crap! That is awesome! Nice woodworking dude! iforget is right I may have to ride your coat-tails on this one and do something similar. This should be the norm for Heartland. Looks very high end. Great job.

Mark

2010augusta

Fantastic job, I have had my steps off a couple times and thought it would be nice to have that as extra space, but have not tried anything yet.

rogerlouden

WOW! Great job. If my carpet starts to go I may attempt that project. I don't have a bighorn and was wondering what are those switches for on the bottom step?

Roger

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Fantastic. That is real class!! Heartland should pay you royalties, and then make that an option on purchase. :rolleyes:

Paul_in_MN

Triber,

Very nice job!! I am finding a bunch of places that are not well used spaces in my Eagle Ridge 34RSLA, and I believe the stairs is just one of them. I anticipate doing something similar, but considerably short of the quality work you have just shown. I think I can do similar storage with carpeted steps to make it much easier.

Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Paul in MN

porthole

Retired
Very nice. Great improvement.

I have already looked under my stairs to see why they were not already storage bins.

Don't know why not. It will be awhile though, the Cyclone's have curved steps, so it is a bit more of a challenge. Winter project.

Triber

Full Timer

Hello Ray,
Like you, we are full timers and doing any project is a challenge. I don't have my workshop any more but I kept my tools in storage. We are fortunate to spend our summers on our lot at Shuswap BC and so I can pull my tools out of storage when needed. I set up a work area up under the trees behind our site and while it isn't the same as having a workshop, I have been able to produce acceptable results.

Thanks to everyone for your nice comments about my project. It always feels good when a project turns out well!

Berk Shaw

kkamshop

I LOVE that mod! Wait until Ken hears this, he already has several other things on the "honey-do" list.

The carpet on the steps wouldn't look so bad if they didn't just staple it on from the top :(

Wonder if he would do a cork inlay on the steps - that would be sweet?!?!

SilverRhino

Great Job!

One of the best mods I've seen. Great craftsmanship!

Being a life long wood worker it is really nice to see someone take the time to think through a project.....use the correct materials .....and take pride in what they are doing.

It seems that today, everything is thrown together and then COVERED up! Natural wood is beautiful when left exposed....it just takes a little more time & patience.

Great Job! Thanks for sharing!

LOUP

i am loup
Looks great ... I am hopeful that before the end of the year we can get the carpet out of here and get something similar done with the steps.

Nice job!!

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Hey loup why don't you just wait till you get that Oakmont and do it then???NoneNone

The Instigator.

PS your facebook link is broke dude.

sjrellis

I am SO glad to see that this was done on a 3670. I posed this very question on this very forum and do not recall any answers nor any excitement about the idea! Although I'M excited, Jim may not be as excited when I show him a new honey-do! Thanks for posting pictures and instructions!
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Triber

Step Storage

Thanks for the kind words! Is that your pooch in the picture? We have a 6 year old Yellow Lab who looks a lot like your picture.

A couple of things about the upgrade. I didn't mention all of the steps such as finding the right wood for the job, matching the stain and finish to the rest of the rig and taking the time to finish the wood. This project took about 14 days from start to finish, including measuring, drawing a plan, planing, sanding, staining and Varathaning. For that reason I prefabbed the steps out side of the rig and only removed the old steps when the new ones were ready to install. The longest time was sanding and finishing. The stain has to set for a minimum of 24 hours or it will contaminate the Varathane and change the color . I let each coat (5 in all) set for 24 hours and then lightly sanded it before applying the next coat. I believe that the extra time spent in finishing gives a much better result. If you have any questions, feel free to E-mail me.

sjrellis

Yes, that is our almost 8 year old lab, Maddie. I did NOT want a lab and I could not love her any more than I do!
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Triber

Labs

Over the years, I have had almost every breed of doG. Sasha was our first Lab and he is my best friend. I would not ever have another breed. Labs are the best!