slide sweep not coming out

tmcran

On my living room slide when I extend it the top rubber sweep does not completely come out. I have to get on a ladder and run a small piece of wood under it to get it out and lie flat on top of the slide. Anyone have a fix for this?

fhollan

Conditioner!

I had that problem with some of my rubber sweeps, until I used a slide out rubber seal conditioner, which keeps them from drying out. That has helped and no problems. The only ones I can't get all the way are the top ones which are under the slide out awnings. Arms are not long enough.

imchud

On my living room slide when I extend it the top rubber sweep does not completely come out. I have to get on a ladder and run a small piece of wood under it to get it out and lie flat on top of the slide. Anyone have a fix for this?

On my last 5er i had a heck of a time getting the rubber seals to come out with the slides. The dealer told me to use a rubber or chrome body side molding you can get at any aut parts store.. It's about 1/2 wide, it comes in rolls about 20/ft long and has an adhesive back. With the slide out you take a section of the molding that is as long as the slide is tall. attach the molding at a slight angle from the top edge to the bottom. Now when the slid goes in or out the leading edge of the molding will offer resistance and fold the rubber flap in or out... It really works great. you can also put a strip across the top of the slid, also at an angle, and it will pull the top rubber flap in and out also...

Tommy

2010augusta

On my last 5er i had a heck of a time getting the rubber seals to come out with the slides. The dealer told me to use a rubber or chrome body side molding you can get at any aut parts store.. It's about 1/2 wide, it comes in rolls about 20/ft long and has an adhesive back. With the slide out you take a section of the molding that is as long as the slide is tall. attach the molding at a slight angle from the top edge to the bottom. Now when the slid goes in or out the leading edge of the molding will offer resistance and fold the rubber flap in or out... It really works great. you can also put a strip across the top of the slid, also at an angle, and it will pull the top rubber flap in and out also...

Tommy

That is brilliant!!!. Might be hard to install with the slide awnings though, but with the slide awnings I don't worry about the sweeper seal.

tmcran

Tommy
I had thought of something like that and gald to know it will work. On the top how far did you put the trim from the sweep?

imchud

I had thought of something like that and gald to know it will work. On the top how far did you put the trim from the sweep?

On the top of the slide i started on the side closest to the rear of the rig (but it makes no difference) You don't want to have the molding right next to the seal because you want to make sure it clears... So, with the slide all the way out and the seal fully extended, start about 4 to 6 inches away from the edge of the seal and work at an angle to the other side of the slide. On the other side of the slide mak sure you "don't go all the way to the corner, keep the same gap of 4 to 6 inches...
If your doing the sides of the slide keep the same spacings as you did on the top. If the slide side has a window in it, just take the trim to the top of the window frame and then pick it up at the bottom of the window frame and continue down to the bottom, keeping the angle... The window frame will act just like the trim, so don't worry about running a section of the trim to either side of the window frame... Good luck.

Tommy

tmcran

Tommy, thanks for the info. I got the auto trim and did the tops of the LR & BR slides. Works great. No more sweeps tucked in when slide is out. Tried it several times and worked great each time. I did leave a 2 inch gap in 3 places so that water could drain freely and not dam up behind the trim.

imchud

Tommy, thanks for the info. I got the auto trim and did the tops of the LR & BR slides. Works great. No more sweeps tucked in when slide is out. Tried it several times and worked great each time. I did leave a 2 inch gap in 3 places so that water could drain freely and not dam up behind the trim.

Tmcran,
Thats great, I'm glad I could help.... I like the idea of leaving the spacing, I install mine on my new Rig in two weeks while on vacation, I will also use the spacing method, thanks

Tommy

tmcran

Well, I'll see if I can import some pics here. If not you can go to my album and see the auto trim pieces I put on top of the LR and RBR slide. They don't look real neat but they work great.

Attachments

• LR rv slide 003.JPG
    LR rv slide 003.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 58

imchud

Well, I'll see if I can import some pics here. If not you can go to my album and see the auto trim pieces I put on top of the LR and RBR slide. They don't look real neat but they work great.

I'm glad there working for you.. I had mine ready to install this past weekend but the rain kept me from doing it... We are going to be spending 10 days at the C/G over the Labor Day holiday, I will have to wait until then...