NC Tongue Level Height?

LookN4Ward

What is typically the tongue level height of a North Country trailer? I have Silverado 2500 HD with an older weight distributing hitch and when I measure the distance from the ground to the top of the ball it is 25 inches. I'm trying to determine if it is too tall or too short.

After posting this question I found and answer to my question in the forum on hitches. According to that thread the height to the bottom of the coupler ball holder should be 21 and 1/2 inches if level. I measured the distance from the ground to the top of hitch without the including the ball height. It is 21 and 1/2 inches as well. The hitch ball I first measured is longer than normal. I had another hitch ball and measured it. It was an inch shorter. I think I will be OK if I get a shorter 2 and 5/16th ball.

Last edited:

Chris562

I have researched this a lot for myself because of when I bought mine, the NC was much higher. I have a 2500 GMC Yukon which I think is about the same height as yours. I was told by numerous "experts" it's better to be a little low at the hitch than too high. I have ran my both ways and and found that being a little low is better. You have to have some weight on the hitch to help with control. I would still like to add a hellwig or helper springs though for the bumps in the road. I have the autoride system which is a pain to set up right with a camper in my opinion.