Fulltime Launch in 6 months!!

SMDAT

First time forum user...just purchased 2010 Elk Ridge 34QSRL and 2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax/Allison Ext. Cab. Added a 250CC 2-person touring scooter with carrier hitch on the back.

We've been planning for six years! Looked at lots of rigs, finally selected the ElkRidge based on cost, weight, layout and short cab turning. (which by the way is incredible!) No slider hitch and I've got 6" of clearance on a 90 degree turn.

Realizing this is not the top of the line, we hope to fulltime with this set-up. We certainly don't expect to be caught in extreme temps, but worry a bit that we may have sacrificed "4 season" capability with the ElkRidge?

The truck is AWESOME and pulls this unit without any worries.

Interested in other fulltimers input on our purchases and future use.

Thanks! :)

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
First time forum user...just purchased 2010 Elk Ridge 34QSRL and 2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax/Allison Ext. Cab. Added a 250CC 2-person touring scooter with carrier hitch on the back.

We've been planning for six years! Looked at lots of rigs, finally selected the ElkRidge based on cost, weight, layout and short cab turning. (which by the way is incredible!) No slider hitch and I've got 6" of clearance on a 90 degree turn.

Realizing this is not the top of the line, we hope to fulltime with this set-up. We certainly don't expect to be caught in extreme temps, but worry a bit that we may have sacrificed "4 season" capability with the ElkRidge?

We're not full-timing (yet), but I don't see an issue with the ElkRidge. After all, if it starts getting too cold or warm for you, you simply move on to a more desirable location. That's the great thing about full-timing.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
SMDAT, you won't have any issues. We have friends fulltiming in a Sundance and several others in basic travel trailers. It's all based on how comfortable you need to be and how much storage you need. There aren't many manufacturers that advertise their units as full timers rigs and even some state that their warranty will be void if the unit is used for FT. All that said, the furniture will likely wear sooner and the same with the carpet. It's just not up to the task of full time use. Most have replaced thier RV furniture with Ashley, Lazy Boy and other residential quality furniture that is usually more comfy. Good Luck with your plan and Welcome to the Heartland Family & Forum

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We agree with boat to 5er. We fulltime in a Bighorn. Main reason for this model is the king size bed. We did not have enough room in the queen of our SOB. Also is we wanted more room in the living room. It was a pain to keep stepping over each other and everything. The toilet, bed room, refrig and stove are all accessable without extending the slides.

If you are comfortable with the floor plan and what you can carry with you in the trailer and you can travel in it. There are some that travel in smaller Motorhomes. A 5er will have more useable room in my opinion for the comparable size Motorhome.

As Ray inidcated, we did change out a number of things such as the Lounge chairs for Lazy Boy.

BC

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
Hello SMDAT,We are fulltimming in a Sundance and have been in extream temp from snowing in northern,Az To hot and humid in Rio Valley of Texas,with our Sundance and we just added a bedroom air cond to sleep in more comfort.In Az we just turned th furnace in the morn to take the dampness and chill out then used a space heater we had to keep the water trickling all night to keep sewer and hose from freezing. If we an do it (fulltime) with a econo. model you should no have a prob. Do Your Mods before you plan to leave.GOOD LUCK, TRAVELER07

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE

Very jealous and very interested in your journeys please! I have the same truck and my DW and I have decided also on the same exact Elk Ridge model. So as you can see I am VERY interested in your travels. I am also jealous that you are off and running in six months! (More power to you!):D

SMDAT

Thanks all for the input!

Rockerga, will keep you posted on stuff that might be of interest. You will absolutely love the turning radius with your shortbed! We have the extended not crew, but don't believe there will be any difference for you. Plus the 5vr pulls like a dream, and we don't even have the equalizer. Do you have the integrated brake system? That works really nice as well.

The 2010 ElkRidge came delivered with an upgrade on the counter tops ("solid surface") which were not in the original specs. That was a nice perk : )

We are excited to get moving of course and really try things out for real, for now we continue to take some short runs to evaluate our needs.