door security

Status
Not open for further replies.

4ever

As the DW I'm nervous about the door lock on our Fiver. I'm used to much more security at home. Any suggestions?

Thanks! :eek:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Ted
We live in a Bighorn 3400RE. The dead bolt lock in the door is sufficent to keep most people out. If you compare a Sticks and Bricks home there are many variouse ways to enter with no problem. Kick in a door, a sliding patio door, large pane glass windows or even through the garage.

In the two years we have been traveling we have had no problems. However we do not stay overnight at Wal-Mart, Truckstops or boondocking. We stay campgounds that have a good review. State parks have been ok and so have Corp of Engineers.

Also if you have a problem in most campgrounds all you have to do is start hollering and I would bet there would be a dozen or so fellow campers coming to your aid. Maybe even some that are very well armed. Have you seen the thread started by Jim Gratz at Retired Law Enforcement thread...

BC

SmokeyBare

To Follow up what TXBobCat as stated... we have been full timing for 5 years now. We have never faced a security issue... be it camping in WalMart or Flying J... out in the Desert boondocking... or close to a large City such as Atlanta Georgia.

Sure there's "Stories" you'll read about or hear about second or third hand. I've heard the same. Some are true... some are questionable. I feel most RV'ers are there to enjoy the camping experince... not to see if they can go home with more than they came with.

I hope you grow more comfortable with a secure feeling... as you camp more... as you stop by your Camping neighbors and share a moment...

Bill1374

We've been rving for many years and locking the door is the absolute least of my worries.In the parks we've stayed at, the neighbors are always friendly. We usually don't even bother locking up when we go out.

Bill

SilverRhino

Most problems in campgrounds are NOT the campers.........it's people that feel the campgrounds are easy pickens.....easy in & out......lots of high price goodies just laying around.....usually looking for fast snatch & grab!

I've camped in everything from a bivy sac to our BC....never have been concerned about someone "breaking in"....major concern has been loss of equipment set up around site.

Just my opinion :eek:

Rmcgrath53

WE usually are not conscerned about our safety. The only thing I do is keep the Smith and wesson right next to me when we are in the Wall Mart. I would hate to be the person who breaks into our home.

2010augusta

This is our security system

Attachments

• DSCN4407 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN4407 (Medium).JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN4408 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN4408 (Medium).JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 30

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
In the 5'er, it would have to be close quarters combat. K-bar in one hand, double edged dagger in the other. At home, an entirely different matter. The monitored alarm WILL awaken me and I can hold the second floor until the Coroner arrives to dispose of the intruder's remains. If they get in while we're not there...insurance premiums are up to date.

imchud

WE usually are not conscerned about our safety. The only thing I do is keep the Smith and wesson right next to me when we are in the Wall Mart. I would hate to be the person who breaks into our home.

I agree... H&K 45acp Elite w/ jacketed hollow points...:D:D

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Colt 1911 45 ACP. Works for me... Might sic Patty on them but the 45 would leave a smaller mess:eek:. Bob

rogerlouden

Just a quick question on having a loaded weapon in a 5th wheel. How legal is that? I have a concealed weapons permit but a lot of states do not honor another states permit. I've noticed a lot of retired policemen on this site, perhaps they know off hand. Thanks

Roger

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Many states have reciprocal agreements when it comes to concealed carry permits. The State of Texas considers your RV your house and you are permitted to have a weapon in your house. Texas also considers your vehicle an extension of your house and therefore you are allowed to have a concealed weapon in "your house". Bear in mind your could still be arrested for having a gun in your car (truck) but unlikely in your RV. Federal law permits retired Law Enforcement Officers to obtain a Federal Concealed Handgun permit under certain conditions. I have one and I have to re-qualify every year the same as an active officer and have it authorized by the head of the agency that I am physically and mentally capable of handling a handgun. Then you have to have a picture ID. There are two levels, one for revolvers and one for semi-automatics.

rogerlouden

Thanks for the info Jim. I've always felt safe amongst other campers in a campground, but then you just 'never know'. I'm guessing that those in a motorhome are in a different situation.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
A motorhome would be considered a house in Texas since it has sleeping quarters and a bathroom and facilities for preparing and eating meals.

wdk450

Don't forget the simple protection stuff

Gang:
I don't want to get into the firearms dispute, and totally respect those who feel they are necessary. I would just like everyone to THINK about alternatives like the "Panic" alarm on most truck keyfobs, and "Bear" pepper spray, which shoots a stream 30 feet from you.

Concerning the deadbolt issue. Most home deadbolt locks can be easily opened by any druggie using a "Bump" key which they can easily make. This proceedure is well known to the lowlifes due to postings on the internet. I suggest you search "Bump Key" on You Tube. You will be shocked!

I would think that our smaller, non-standard, deadbolt keys are more pick resistant than the one-sided household deadbolt keys. But the deadbolt bar also seems very small in size.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Pick resistant...maybe so - but they can't stand up to an 18V DeWalt! :D :D
//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=4795&stc=1&d=1250182718

Attachments

• HT 364.jpg
    HT 364.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 91
Status
Not open for further replies.