Plumbing nightmare

Jarhead

USMC Phantom Phixer
Well, we took delivery of our brand new 3370RL Big Horn a couple of weeks ago and were finally able to take it out on a 200 mile round trip to work out the bugs.
I spent the 3 days working on the plumbing systems. What a nightmare. :eek:
Every threaded connection, shower head and taps, bathroom sink, kitchen sink, external shower, hot water tank were leaking. :confused: Had to remove the panels in the crawl space to find the leaks for the hot water tank and external shower. Remove the shower panel to tighten the connections. Get under the bathroom and kitchen sinks to tighten those connections. In the process I found both kitchen sink drains loose and leaking. Same thing under the bathroom sink. What a mess. Water (potable and grey) all over the place. One heck of a way to enjoy our new unit. :mad:

I firmly believe that there was no PDI done, but we were charged $890.00 for one.

Found a bunch of other potential problems as well. Guess I'll have to start on them ASAP.

Bob - Chilliwack, BC

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Bob, Sorry it was such a nightmare and chore! A good PDI will detect many of these issues. After having spent 8 1/2 hours at the dealer doing my PDI - and still, later having a water leak - I went through and personally tightened all the connections on mine that you mentioned. Just one of those things, I guess. I still periodically check and re-tighten them. You know - rattliing down the road, it's bound to loosen things up.

Were you not present during your PDI? My dealer had a PDI form filled out and then I did my own - thoroughly! Lot less issues to show their little heads. I moved in mine the day after picking it up and have been in it every day for about 18 months now. Well worth the time I spent. Hope all goes better for you from here. Enjoy!

porthole

Retired
Had some of the same leaks. But to be honest, with those type of connectors/hoses I almost expected them to leak after the first couple of pressure/no pressure, heat/no heat cycles.

I think once they get snugged up they will be good for the long run, at least I hope so.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
What I'm more surprised at is not the fact that there were leaks, but that they had the nerve to charge $890 for a PDI. Do they consider that a set-up charge or something like that? Our purchase invoice didn't have anything like that. trailer, tax, title & license. Done deal. Ours must have been "included" in the purchase price. Our dealer normally charges $200 for set-up but he didn't even have it noted on the sales order.???
The good part for you is they should not come loose and cause any future problems. The sink drains can be a little problematic but if it's installed correctly it should be fine. Hope all is better from here out.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have never understood why a dealer adds such a ridiculous charge. A PDI should only have a minimal charge. Remember how the car dealer used to charge a dealer prep fee. Our credit union will not finance a car with that fee on it. Neither should a RV be financed with a PDI charge like that. IMHO

Paul & Nan

Don't understand being charged for a PDI, having purchased 8 new RV's over the last 30 years we have never seen such a thing. The manufacturer normally pays the dealer for a PDI, and any repairs needed would be covered under warranty. I might say that of the 8 new rigs the last two have been Heartland BigHorns. I would be checking out such a charge and demanding a refund. Just our not so humble opinion. Paul and Nan

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I do remember when I bought ours they tried to charge us 850 dollars until I asked about it. They they decided they really shouldn't charge for it after all.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
My dealer did not charge me a PDI fee. I would think that tightening fittings and checking the rig for proper operation would be done, by any reputable dealer, as a matter of course. I had a bit of an issue with the hot water heater fittings leaking a bit, but that was it. But like HT said, rattling down the road at 60-65 MPH will loosen a few things. So I do find a leaky hose or pipe that needs tightening, now and then.
Fred

Tom of Ypsi

If I ever get charged for a PDI I will walk away from the deal and find another dealer that wants to do an honest business.

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
we, too, had an issue with water leaks in our 2009 Bighorn 3580RL, but the dealer (Hayes RV in Longview Texas ) took care of them with the help of Heartland factory. We were never charged a PDI charge. God Bless ya all, Al

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I think that Paul and Nan are correct. Its my understanding that HL pays for the PDI. Im sure that somewhere in the price of the coach its factored in, but so is the PDI fee on a new car. But $895.00. Sounds like that money was just pure profit, IMHO. Maybe JB will chime in on this. Bob:confused:

jbeletti

I checked with management and learned the following:

"We don't pay the dealer any money for a PDI. However, the dealer usually has warranty related expense when doing the PDI that Heartland pays"

vangoes

If a dealer tried to charge me for a PDI I would run off those premises as fast as I could; the same as I have done at auto dealerships for those trumped up exorbinate "Documentation Fees" that some have tried to slip into the sales contract. Those tactics just prove to me that the dealer is not trustworthy.

Bob&Patty

Van, "documentation" fee's are charged by the states for your license. smog and any other thing that they can think of "fee". All states may not do this, but they sure do here in California. I cant expect a dealer to eat those. The "doc" fee's on our Horn was about $1200.00. The dealer does not get any of that money, it goes to the state.
Bob:D

vangoes

Van, "documentation" fee's are charged by the states for your license. smog and any other thing that they can think of "fee". All states may not do this, but they sure do here in California. I cant expect a dealer to eat those. The "doc" fee's on our Horn was about $1200.00. The dealer does not get any of that money, it goes to the state.
Bob:D

Bob, I'm not talking about licensing fees, titleing fees, etc. Many dealers tack on a "Documentation Fee" that is their money. Here in Tenn. I have seen it as much as $500 at some dealerships and $0 at others. When I was in Missouri it was the same way. I walked out of a dealership a couple years ago after we had agreed on a price for a new diesel truck and they slipped in the additional $500 fee (over and above the state licensing, registration fees) on the contract. I then bought a new truck two days later from another dealer about 50 miles away and no additional Doc Fees.

Bob&Patty

Van, OH THATS JUST SO WRONG. Have they ever explained what it was for?? Maybe some people just fall for it, right?? Glad you cleared that up. Bob:eek:

Jarhead

USMC Phantom Phixer
Well everyone, got all the water connections tightened. Pressure tested to 60psi, no leaks and that's including the sink drains (used putty like an old plumber would do) and traps.:)
Sure glad I followed the advise of someone on this forum regarding the re-location of the converter. Ours was mounted on the floor. I moved it to a vertical position on the supports for the stairs. Re-routing of ground wire, power cord and wall socket and DC wiring had to be done but used exsisting wires. Thank goodness I did this mod. because the water would have fried :eek: the converter with all the water we had.
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to approach my dealer about the sloppy PDI. Don't think they'll do anything, but gotta try. :rolleyes:

I've attached 3 pics

Attachments

• Converter new location 01.jpg
    Converter new location 01.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Converter old location.jpg
    Converter old location.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Plumbing.jpg
    Plumbing.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 79
this statement probably doesn't belong here, but every time I see these pictures like the ones jarhead posted makes me wonder do I really want to spend thirty thousand more than what my sob cost for a heartland with this type of quality behind the walls or not. Its not just one line of Heartland model its all of them.Ive been watching the post since early last year and its the same problem over and over. I know Heartland listens to this site but someone just keeps on dropping the ball with behind the walls quality.

rick_debbie_gallant

Where is "quality control" at the factory.

this statement probably doesn't belong here, but every time I see these pictures like the ones jarhead posted makes me wonder do I really want to spend thirty thousand more than what my sob cost for a heartland with this type of quality behind the walls or not. Its not just one line of Heartland model its all of them.Ive been watching the post since early last year and its the same problem over and over. I know Heartland listens to this site but someone just keeps on dropping the ball with behind the walls quality.

Sure hope someone at the factory is reading this one. I am going to check out "behind the walls" tomorrow and see what is up with the jumble of wire and hoses. Perhaps someone was having a bad when this unit went through the final stages of "QC" Hoping that I find everything shipshape on my unit....