Our Washing Machine Stinks, Literary.

2010augusta

We have noticed that the inside of our washing machine has started to develop a bad odor. It even makes the clothes smell when we wash them(worse than they did we we put them in:D). Th bed room has no noticeable odor, so I do not think it is coming from the vent/holding tank/sewer. I poured a couple cups of bleach in the washer and ran a full wash cycle with no clothes, and that helped some, but did not completely remove the odor. Anyone else out there have any ideas to cure a stinky washing machine.

BTW it is a stack-able splendid unit.

Thanks in advance.

jbeletti

Alan,

I have never heard of thisbefore. Do you think it could be the water at the CG you are in? I guess if it was, you'd detect it elsewhere. Is it an old, musty smell? Maybe water is not completely draining and being trapped "in the system" within the washer.

I suggest you contact Splendide to run it by them.

Splendide

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Not sure what brand you have, but most have a small door on the bottom corner, usually right side as you look at it. This is an access to a small moving part, but it also acts as a lint collector and needs to be cleaned out occasionally. You need to put something under it to collect water when you open it as it stays full of water and wet...and I'd assume SMELLY lint...you might want to try cleaning it out.

Behind the door will be a screw-out part that goes about six inches into the machine with a tray to catch the lint and water...Good Luck!

2010augusta

Not sure what brand you have, but most have a small door on the bottom corner, usually right side as you look at it. This is an access to a small moving part, but it also acts as a lint collector and needs to be cleaned out occasionally. You need to put something under it to collect water when you open it as it stays full of water and wet...and I'd assume SMELLY lint...you might want to try cleaning it out.

Behind the door will be a screw-out part that goes about six inches into the machine with a tray to catch the lint and water...Good Luck!

I pulled a 2" diameter screw in plug out and water drained, but no lint, a small green propeller was a the back of the hole. Is this similar to what you are think about?

kakampers

Yep...that's it! Mine usually also has a good bit of lint in it...was the water smelly? Do you think that was your problem, or not?

SmokeyBare

kakampers

Wow...that's odd...I've been using this front-load washer for three years now, and have no odor at all. I wonder if it's worse if it sits along time without use...:confused:

OK! After reading some of Smokeybare's links, now I remember, the instructions were adamant about letting the door seal dry and cleaning it out on a regular basis. Augusta2010...trying cleaning the seal with a bleach solution to kill any mold...this is most likely where you're smell is coming from. I do it regularly and didn't even think about it...sorry..."old timers" is setting in!

flamingknitter

I don't have a washer/dryer in my rig, but I do have a front loader at home. I try to leave the door open after use but sometimes it does get a moldy odor. I use a cup of vinegar in the wash and it removes the odor. It also works when you forget and leave the towels in there overnight. Works on pet odors too. Doesn't matter if it is apple cider vinegar or white.

cjbearden

Visitor
Thanks for all the posts regarding the mold issue. Was not aware of this so did a quick check of the door seal. Sure enough, there was mold. Ran a hot water empty load with 1/4 cup of bleach and that got rid of it. Left the door open to make sure the seal properly dried.

Another thought is periodically cleaning out the tray where the detergent, softener and bleach are inserted. I have noticed water standing in the bleach tray from time to time so have had to manually empty the tray. The entire tray unit pulls out and can be taken apart to clean and dry before re-inserting.

kkamshop

We haven't had ours long enough to experience this, but it is a problem inherent with front loaders, there is a small amount of water that sits in the drum even after draining.

The vinegar is a good idea, it won't hurt the clothes. I'll have to remember to leave the door open - thanks for the tips!

B

BouseBill

Just installed a new Splendide washer/dryer in the rig....under the CARING FOR YOUR APPLIANCE DOOR AND DRUM it states "When not in use, leave the appliance door ajar to prevent unpleasant odors from forming". I guess this is so any residual water will evaporate from the door and interior.

porthole

Retired
Because the seal was ruined by mold on our home front loader, I always leave the door cracked on my combo unit in the trailer.

kakampers

this best way to avoid this is the use the cleaning cycle and run an empty wash using just bleach...keeps seals clean and eliminates any smell. Only need to do it once every couple of months....