Water leaking from Toilet Bowl

SmokeyBare

I finally did the required repairs to a nuisance issue with water leaking out the bowl of the toilet. For the longest time it would happen... and after I cleaned the toilet seal real well with a brush it seemed to go away... only to come back. Well after we had guests it became a real problem.

I called SeaLand, a Dometic company... Phone # 1-800-321-9886.

I talked to a very pleasant customer service gal who explained that the company tried using a "Different" kind of seal on the model of toilet we had ( Model #210 ) and they found it was a problem. The Ball Valve was hitting the seal which prevented it from closing all the time... when it hit it leaked the water from the bowl.

She was happy to send me a replacement seal kit:

( # 385311462 (without overflow holes) )

She explained the seal I will be removing from the toilet will look and feel much different than the one she was sending. The new seal was a flexible and much larger than the old one. The old seals I took out, only the lower seal was flexible and it was much smaller than the new seal. The top or cover on the old seal was a ridged plastic.

The process for removing and replacing required only a flat blade screwdriver and some cleaning tools. (cleaner and a rag or paper towels)

Be Sure to turn off the water to the RV so you don't accidentally hit the foot pedal and flood the bathroom !!!

I would also recommend using gloves when working around any part of the sanitation system of the RV. I have attached the photos of the repair... pictures are worth a whole lot more than my attempt to describe the process.

The last few photos shows a split ring that is held in place with the stainless steel draw band. I showed them apart and then put together to demonstrate the two points that slip together... this part of the split ring goes to the front of the toilet. Your going to discover there is a gap in the rear of these split rings... it's designed this way. Just lock the front together and place the stainless steel draw band over them and tighten.

Hope this is some help for those who may need to replace the seal for one reason or another.

Good Luck !!

Attachments

• IMG_3295.JPG
    IMG_3295.JPG
    511 KB · Views: 525
  • IMG_3296.JPG
    IMG_3296.JPG
    477.5 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_3297.JPG
    IMG_3297.JPG
    452 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_3298.JPG
    IMG_3298.JPG
    424.3 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_3299.JPG
    IMG_3299.JPG
    423.1 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_3300.JPG
    IMG_3300.JPG
    444.5 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_3301.JPG
    IMG_3301.JPG
    414.9 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_3302.JPG
    IMG_3302.JPG
    429.6 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_3303.JPG
    IMG_3303.JPG
    398.5 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_3304.JPG
    IMG_3304.JPG
    562.4 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_3305.JPG
    IMG_3305.JPG
    555.5 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_3306.JPG
    IMG_3306.JPG
    389.4 KB · Views: 317

sgtbigb

Photos

Thanks for the photos, You made it look easy and gave me confidence if I have that problem, I could handle it!:DNone

DWH

I am amazed and appreciative of how thoughtful and helpful so many members of this forum are. To tell where and how to get the parts to fix and then do a step by step photo documentation of the fix is just going above and beyond. I'm telling you it just made my day. I don't respond very often. I check the new posts regularly but am usually just to busy to enter into the conversations. But I just "HAD" to say thank you. Marve and Karen THANK YOU!

Sue and Doug
2010 Landmark GC
2008 Silverado 2500 D&A

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Marv, thanks for taking the time for the detailed description and photos of the process. Like you said, it appears to be a fairly easy fix. Ours loses water once in a while too but it seems like it's only when a piece of toilet paper may get stuck in the seal and causes it to seep down. I think I'll call and ask for the replacement kit just to have when the time comes.

2010augusta

Already replaced our, but it is starting to happen again, but letting the foot peddle "pop" up seems to keep it from happening.

Be sure to get that band clamp really tight. I had the DW sit on the toilet and wiggle while I tightened the clamp. It is a tight fit to get two people in the bathroom, but we made it work.

SmokeyBare

Thanks gang...

Alan, I think I detected a sly grin on that post of yours... You sly rascal !! LOL :D I do like the thought of us all having a LiL' Wiggle in our RV life ! You made me smile.... The directions did tell me to tighten the draw band some 60 + foot pounds... darn it I just don't have room for a Torque Screw Driver...

Sue & Doug... Thank You for the kind words... I promise you I get far more out of this forum than I am ever able to pay back with my few posts. This is the best-est Forum on the Wild World of Internet... Thanks goes to Jim Beletti and a good group of Moderators who keep it alive and well cared for... and lets not forget Michael Kidd for his dedication to keeping all the Cyber Stuff well Oiled and moving forward.

Ray... I thought the same thing about my leaks for such a long time. It finally gave up my rescue brushing attempts to keep it working and watered...

Marv

Rickhansen

Get used to the fix. We've been through it 4 times in less than 2 years of full timing with 2 different style seal kits, a new water valve and spring assembly. The last time, the service rep couldn't find the upgrade seal kit number, so the sent us an entire new potty.

We can't complain about Sealand's service, but their engineering/design apparently has some issues.

SmokeyBare

hmmmmm..... did they also design the Space Station Potty??!?!?! Seems they too have a few issues....

nscaler2

Thanks

Thanks Marv & Karen for your post describing how to repair the toilet seal. Your great photos and description, like someone else said, gives me the confidence to tackle a problem that I probably wouldn't have otherwise. Again, thanks for all the effort. :):):)

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
Marv,Thank you for the pics and and info ,we have the same prob with ours will order the part and tackle the job,with your help.TRAVELER07

talley

The leaking toilet bowl has been a long-term issue. Dometic sent me the kit about a month ago. Your timely post and pictures is greatly appreciated. I was somewhat concerned that it would be one of those jobs that leads to other unforseen problems. Your pictures are great in getting a preview of what the job will involve. Now if the seal replacement really works.....

Thanks, Jerry

62cwil

I took everyones advice and called Dometic. The tech was very friendly and helpful. I have a Dometic 305 I believe it was or maybe 310 but the tech new right away when I gave him the number. He indicated it was a newer toilet and they were having some problems with the seal and stated he would send me a new one. With this toilet he said I would not to take anything apart, just put on plastic gloves reach down and pull the seal out and then with the ball closed lay the new one on top and work around it with my fingers and it would go right into place. He stated once I got the seal I would understand after I saw it. I did receive it today and it has a grove around it and looks simple to me so I will try tomorrow.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
I have a 2009 NT 28RLS and it seems to only leak when you fill up the bowl or leave it open for any length of time but sady (As this morning would indicate) appears to be getting worse. My toilet bowl is different from the model as pictured here. I have the front center flush.

62cwil

My model has flush on left side as you sit down. I got new gasket. Tech told me that should solve based on their experience to date with this toilet. He did say if still have problems call him and they will replace the toilet.. I suspect it will work since after I called and before I got the new gasket I was on road so I took out plastic gloves and went all around top like I was pressing in and that in of itself stopped the leaking down. I will be changing out gasket this afternoon.

dicnsan

Dick

Thanks for the info. I wish Sealand or Heartland had been helpful with our toilet in our 07 Bighorn. We ended up going to Camping World and replacing the toilet as neither Heartland (after having "repaired it" 2 times) nor the manufacturer would do anything about it.

rjhewitt

Mike and Robyn
Seal Replacement

Hi All,

Thank you so much for this post!!

We have been having this trouble for several weeks now. I called the number in your post (she was a very nice lady) and received the seal kit. After following these pics and the directions included, we are still having the same problem! Now what? It seems like some of you have gone through this several times? What did you finally do to resolve the issue? We have tightened the band as tight as we dare without cracking something!

Thank you for any information you can share with us!

Robyn

SmokeyBare

Just a couple thoughts...

The Ball Valve... flapper that moves when you flush... MUST Be clean and free of any scratches. Clean meaning if there is a build up of any mineral deposits... those can be a source of a water leak. Scratches deep enough into the plastic surface could also make a trail for the water to leak from the bowl.

I found a mineral build up when I replaced the seal on ours. I was careful to scrape it clean... using a plastic scratch pad to aid the removal. I cleaned both surfaces of the potty where the seals were clamped between. One also needs to be very careful not to allow any material to be trapped between the two layers of rubber seal.

As far as the clamp... I agree to one post, it must be TIGHT... if it's not, it will leak ! The leakage can be seen by the stains coming from below the clamp... leaking down the toilet and around the floor seal. If you see leakage... use a small wrench to tighten it some more. Of course be careful... but make sure it's tight. Allowed to continue to leak is nasty and if it goes on too long it could reach the wood floor and do major damage.

Good Luck... all else fails I would then call the company for their suggestions.

Marv