Lights over the bed too bright

rl7greg

I couldn't stand the intense light bulbs in the fixtures that are a foot above your head over the bed so I took the standard ones out to keep as spares and bought a 2-pack of #67 automotive bulbs for $2 at Walmart. It didn't say how many watts they are on the package, but they are far better suited for that location than the bulbs that were in the fixtures.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We've done the same thing in a few of our fixtures. There were a few that were to dim that we've found a higher wattege bulb and like you, too bright so replaced with a lower wattage. When going to the higher wattage, I made sure the wiring was up to the task of increased wattage and made sure nothing was being affected by the increased heat from the bulb.

talley

Have experienced the same problem!! Thought about replacing the globe or fixture - the glare from the light bothers me when trying to read. Replacing the bulb may be the answer. How does the replacement bulb you used work as a reading light?

Thanks for sharing
Jerry

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
We also have felt the lights over the bed were too bright. Haven't really done anything to date to fix it though. I have been working on a solution a bit more intense than just swapping out the bulbs. I actually want to replace the base of the light with a larger base that will also house a dimmer switch. I actually have all the parts but just haven't made the modification yet. This has been in the works for about 4 years ever since we purchased our Bighorn. Now that we have the Landmark and still have bright bulbs I am even closer to actually making this mod happen. I will post pictures when I finally get it done.

Mark