Cover or not cover for the winter?

todalake

We are leaving our trailer at the camp site all winter in northern Wisconsin. The campground host says most yearly campers leave trailers uncovered and don't have any problems. A friend at home always uses a tarp and prefers that. Some say cover for birds, weather, etc. Others say they have problems with mold, wear areas, etc when covering. If camper sits out during the other 8 months, will a little snow hurt it? What is the experience out there? Thanks!

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
There are pros and cons to covers. We have had campers since 1993 and never had problems. Make sure you winterize good so water lines don't freeze and you will be fine.

Mike

SmokeyBare

I vote for Inside Storage if possible... We used to store ours at the county Fair Grounds during the winter months. They kept it secure and I knew it did better than being out in the cold with snow covering it... besides it gave me peace of mind that I didn't do damage when plowing snow... Sure glad I solved that problem...

2010augusta

No cover, it makes it too hard to get in and out of the trailer, and the view out the window suck.:D:D:D. But seriously, it is a toss up, you have to balance UV rays against, the wind buffing and possible mold/water damage. Full-timing is the best, but inside storage is the next best. Wash it and wipe it down with 303 areospace and let it sit out.

SmokeyBare

One Spring..... it looked like 12 inches of "Partly Cloudy" on top of my (SOB) Fiver... in Flagstaff AZ...... Yuck !

nscaler2

Store it inside

We store ours inside in limestone caves in Missouri. Safe from all storms and freezing temperatures. No need to winterize. Greatest thing since sliced bread.

Bill1374

Years ago, with another brand of fifth, I got concerned about snow load as we had sosme storms and the trailer sat with over 4 foot of snow on the roof. Their engineer told me that the only concern would be snow melt into the ac units. I have since applied that rule to all my rigs and keep the ac unit(s) clear. I still have to clear the whole roof before we head south inFebruary.

Bill

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
What is snow? and what does it look like? LOL:D:D:D:D

Wise guy! Put on a black shirt and scratch your head. The white stuff falling down around your shoulders is what snow looks like.:D If it gets up and runs, that's a cootie.:eek: