Question on Yosemite

We are leaving Montana in a few weeks and going to Yosemite NP.
Wondering if anybody has pulled their rig across the Tioga road.
Seems like a challenging road and wondering if it is worth the pull.
Also going to do Kings Canyon, Sequoia, and Death Valley.

Any route suggestions would be appreciated.......

Been a cool and wet summer in Ennis Montana

Mariposa

Yosmite

The grade isn't too bad. The truck will slow down. It will tax the cooling system. At over 9,000 feet the truck might be a little short of air.
When coming off 395 there is no get a run at the grade. It starts as soon as you make the turn. It is not very long. The road could be part dirt from snow plows when snow was removed. From the top, Ranger Station, it is mostly down hill. You will enjoy the view. Except for the road between 395 and the top, the rest of 120 is good.
Aother way is using 80 crossing over from Reno to Sacto. then south on 99 to the parks. A lot more traffic on 80 and 99.
Bob

2010augusta

Aother way is using 80 crossing over from Reno to Sacto. then south on 99 to the parks. A lot more traffic on 80 and 99.
Bob

Avoid 80!!! the road was so bad last year that my folks broke a fuel line on their cummins powered Class A, had to patch it and go to Vegas to order the new line at a cummins service center. It wasted a week of their 3 week trip waiting on parts.

wdk450

80 over Sierras is undergoing repaving

Avoid 80!!! the road was so bad last year that my folks broke a fuel line on their cummins powered Class A, had to patch it and go to Vegas to order the new line at a cummins service center. It wasted a week of their 3 week trip waiting on parts.

I-80 over the Sierras is concrete roadbed over most of the high country, and takes a lot of beating from the ice, salt and big trucks. It is mostly 4 lane, and I try to ride the fast lane as much as I can without blocking the fast traffic. The slow lane is a lot rougher

We drove I-80 to/from Reno-Truckee a few weeks ago and a lot of the roadbed has ben repaved and more is under consrtuction.

I would still do the 395 route to Yosemite because it will be a lot shorter for you and less traffic.

Two Hands

One of the questions you asked was, "is it worth the pull?" ABSOLUTELY! Yosemite is one of the most beautiful places on earth. If you want to dry camp try to make reservations at one of the campgrounds in the park, but national park campgrounds are seldom, if ever, big rig friendly. We stayed at a KOA outside the park and it was quite nice. I think it was just outside Mariposa.

We frequently visit Sequoia and always stay at Kaweah RV Resort in Three Rivers at the south entrance to the park. Get to Three Rivers on the 99 and then east at Visalia. Don't try to take your fifth wheel through Sequoia or on any routes immediately west of the park. They are just too narrow and winding