Changing the Ceiling Fan

2010augusta

Has any one swapped out the ceiling fan? I know it is a close fit with the slides, but I think most flush mounted fans would work:confused::confused::confused:.

The fan in the Landmark is only a 4 blade 42" and I would really like a 5 blade 52" fan. By increasing the fan diameter to 52" it would gain over 5 square feet of sweep area and that that is a 50% gain over the 42" fan. The additional blade will also add 20%, so it could be a 70% increase. It would make a huge difference in the amount of air moved.

I can not find a brand name for the fan so I can not find a dimension sheet to make a comparison. I have measured the distances from the blades to the ceiling and the amount of recess for the mount and it looks like blades can be about 9.5" and still barely clear the slides. Even if I had to remove one or two blades it might still be worth it to have the better air movement.

What are your thoughts?

Mrscookie

DW of a senior member
Alan, I have been thinking about somehow modifying our fan as well. My idea is to just change out the blades. I am sitting here in our cabin looking at the ceiling fan and it has only four blades. It is a 51" span. It moves a lot of air. So I will look for blades that are longer than the present ones. One thing different here is that the ceiling is vaulted so there is a lot of room above the fan. There is not a lot of clearance above the fan in the coach. There is a lot of speculation that this is the reason for lack of air movement. Not the size of the fan. Be sure to let us know if you swap out your fan and how it works out.

Peace
Dave

replace fan

We took a measurement from the blade tip to the ceiling went to Lowe's
picked out one (on most fans the specs. are on the outside of box ) its a 5 blade 52" DW loves it .

Attachments

• RV UPGRADES 018.jpg
    RV UPGRADES 018.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 116

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I'm not happy with my ceiling fan. (2010 bighorn) forward or reverse it does not seem to move "any" air downward to cool me off. Am i the only one with this problem?

branson4020

Icantre Member
I'm not happy with my ceiling fan. (2010 bighorn) forward or reverse it does not seem to move "any" air downward to cool me off. Am i the only one with this problem?

I have the same problem. In my Bighorn 3385 the fan is very close to the ceiling. Don't see how it could ever work very well.

tmcran

I have the same problem. In my Bighorn 3385 the fan is very close to the ceiling. Don't see how it could ever work very well.

Same problem in my Sundance. The set up I have is worthless. My fan is recessed about 4-5 inches into the ceiling.

2010augusta

Our is only recessed 1.75 inches. I can feel air while sitting under it, but I want more. When I had a stick and brick, it had a 60" fan in a 14'x12' bedroom, that moved some air an it was great, I want a similar experience in our new home.

jbeletti

...I can not find a brand name for the fan so I can not find a dimension sheet to make a comparison...

Alan,

Here's the info I was able to gather from the plant:

Global Electric, Arlington, Texas is distributor.

Model is HL442BN

For all,

As others have mentioned, the height of the factory installation is determined by two factors:

1. Minimum safe height
  2. High enough to allow the blades to clear the top slide room fascia
Achieving these, we end up with minimal air space between the blades and the ceiling. Five to eight inches in most cases.

Alan is considering a larger blade span. This should increase the amount of air moved. Be careful if the blade height vs. the top slide fascia towards the rear of the coach.

Another option for some who are getting no satisfaction whatsoever from the fan, would be to remove it. In the space where the assembly mounts, consider a blank medallion or perhaps a 110 VAC light fixture.

This all said, dropping the OEM or a replacement bladed fan downward into the room in order to increase it's effectiveness is done at the expense of a safe height and the potential of slide fascia contact. We do not recommend this.

Jim

MC9

I found I got more air movement in general by blowing up rather than down. Being so close to the ceiling there was nowhere for the air to come from. Try it.

imchud

I replaced mine with a hunter flush mount, with a small close fit light kit, works great...

Branson4020
how do you like your 3385, we love ours.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Would increasing the width of the fan blades increase the airflow? I've seen fans with blades that look like palm fronds, but are not any longer than standard blades.

2010augusta

I had already thought about those, but at a $129.00 a set, I would rather buy a new quieter, larger, more efficient fan.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I had already thought about those, but at a $129.00 a set, I would rather buy a new quieter, larger, more efficient fan.

Doing that myself would force me to correct the mounting with the OEM fan. Standing at the front of the coach and looking back, it is obviously mounted on an angle...side to side, not front to back. The mounting itself does not appear to be all that robust. Will a larger, probably heavier fan be a problem?