Running down the road with the propane on.

maryj

Should the fridge be using 12 volt from the truck when we're running down the road? Ours doesn't seem to work so we've left the gas on and left the refrigeator on "gas". We're wondering if that's a safe practice?

SmokeyBare

MaryJ,

The Fridge is only a 2 way... meaning it runs on Propane Gas or on 110 Volt AC power. It will not run on 12 Volt DC power... but that said, 12 Volt is required to run the Fridge controls.

As far as running it on propane as you drive down the road... well that issue has already been ask and as with many topics... there are several opinionated answers.

4ever

I have travled with mine on as well. Did it many years ago with our old pop-up also. I know a lot of people do however, that does not answer your question really.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We have never had a problem with running the fridge on gas while traveling. Have done it on all the many trailers and MH's we have had. Bob:D

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just remember if you travel with the propane on, when you fuel up your tow vehicle there is a possibility of an explosion from gasoline fumes in the pump area. (kind of like smoking a cigarette while pumping gas-not a good idea)

SilverRhino

This topic was covered fairly well about a month ago in this thread:

//heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon5.gif Refrigerator Use on the road

This question will probably never have a definitive answer......except in those special cases where there are specific laws.

Personnally.....I don't travel with the propane on......never had a problem with the fridge getting too warn......even traveling in Texas.

2010augusta

I have always left the propane ON, you have to realize that these are D.O.T. compliant tanks. they are designed for use on moving vehicles.

Larry77

Tool Bar on the top of the Forum's portal page... Called ... SEARCH

FYI when you search with that title there is 20 pages of results...When I quote a thread I usually use a link...also, you may not be aware but, message board etiquette states that CAPS is YELLING, and can be construde as RUDE!...:D

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
FYI when you search with that title there is 20 pages of results...When I quote a thread I usually use a link...also, you may not be aware but, message board etiquette states that CAPS is YELLING, and can be construde as RUDE!...:D

Only when it's all caps...individual words indicates emphasis!

kampfirekid

MaryJ,

The Fridge is only a 2 way... meaning it runs on Propane Gas or on 110 Volt AC power. It will not run on 12 Volt DC power... but that said, 12 Volt is required to run the Fridge controls.

As far as running it on propane as you drive down the road... well that issue has already been ask and as with many topics... there are several opinionated answers.

The Edge has a three-way fridge... 12V (battery), 110V, and LP. It's not like other trailers made by Heartland.

rl7greg

Yup, the 12V does cut out when the battery voltage drops below a certain limit, so in my experience it will run for anywhere from 10 -60 minutes on 12V after you've stopped for gas or lunch before the display blinks and beeps. But while you are driving obviously the tow vehicle keeps the battery topped up enough to keep it working, so there is no need to have the propane on when you're driving with and Edge.

Last edited:

asalwa

M22 Beginner
Can someone explain how fridge can cool on 12 VDC battery power. The 120 VAC condenser is switched into 12 VDC or 12 VDC I converted into 120 VAC ?

wdk450

How does it cool on 12 volt power?

Can someone explain how fridge can cool on 12 VDC battery power. The 120 VAC condenser is switched into 12 VDC or 12 VDC I converted into 120 VAC ?

No, there is a dual voltage electrical heating element heating the boiler. The 12 volt 1/2 of the heating element is energized in 12 volt mode, the 110 volt 1/2 of the heating element is enegized in 110 volt mode.

Here's a quick pare on RV refrigerator theory:
http://bryantrv.com/reefer.html

kravchuck

Some fridges have 3 modes: gas, 120 volts AC and 12 volt DC. We run ours on 12 volts DC after we have stayed at a park for at least a day and the fridge is cold.

wdk450

Running on 12 volts down the road is obviously the safest way, in respect to open flame danger.
The small wire 12 volt supply you get from your tow vehicle will not supply enough current to keep your battery up under the refrigerator heater element load. That wire is there to keep your battery up for the emergency brake disconnect system on the trailer. Having a discharged trailer brake battery source going down the highway might make the emergency brake system ineffective when needed. This does NOT affect your regular trailer braking, which uses your tow vehicle battery.
Many people have wired in a special, larger, wire from the tow vehicle battery, through a relay (or solid state isolator), through a self-resetting DC circuit breaker, to a seperate connector at the back of the truck, to a seperate set of larger positive and ground wires, going into the trailer directly to the battery and frame. The positive wire connecting to the trailer battery should have another self-resetting circuit breaker to guard against wiring shorts. This is akin to what is used in a motorhome for charging the "house" batteries from the motorhome engine batteries.
The option for us that don't have 12 volt refrigerators is to install the extra charging cables as above, add a correctly sized inverter, and have the frig on inverter 110 VAC power going down the road. Many people say that there is little heat loss in a closed refrigerator going down the road. I haven't tried it, as my wife is more nervous about food safety.