LPG Regulator

bwalser

Hi,

I am new to the forum. My wife and I just traded our 2002 Sunnybrook travel trailer for a new 2009 Big Horn 3670RL. We will be leaving on our first trip in 3 weeks to Stillwater, Oklahoma for the UGA-OSU football game.

My question concerns the Cavagna LPG regulator. Does it switch automatically from the empty tank to the full tank; or, do you have to switch tanks manually?

Thanks for your help.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
bwalser, yes, your regulator should be the auto switching type. Have both LP tank valves open. The tank that the little black valve is pointing to is the tank in use until the red flag pops up. Then it indicates the tank is empty and in need of service. Flip the switch before removing the empty cylinder, the flag should go back to green. I'm surprised your delivering dealer didn't go over this with you.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This fellow explained it pretty well. I was confused about just what the thing was supposed to do as well.

With the Marshall 250 auto changeover regulator it will draw from both tanks ... first from the "Service" tank and then from the "Reserve" tank. You, the RV owner, turn the selector lever to the "Service" tank (whichever tank you want to use first) and the other tank becomes your "Reserve" tank. The "Service" tank is the one that shows green, or red, on the indicator. If it's green, then you have gas in the "Service" tank and you are drawing from the "Service" tank. If it's red, the "Service" tank is empty and you are drawing from the "Reserve" tank.

Now, if it's red, switch the lever to the "Reserve" tank. This "Reserve" tank now becomes your "Service" tank and, if you have propane in the "Reserve" tank, the indicator will turn green. You can now close the valve on the empty tank and have it filled and reinstall it and it now becomes your "Reserve" tank.

The "only" thing you need to do is keep checking to see if you have a green, or red indicator. If it's green, you're good to go. If it's red, you need to fill that tank but you ARE drawing off the other tank. So, if you don't watch the indicator and it turns red, it WILL drain your "Reserve" tank which will leave you without propane.
2008 Sundance 2997BHS #8804 :D

bwalser

Thanks for the info. I am familiar with the Marshall unit as that was the setup on my Sunnybrook. I'm not familiar with the Cavagna unit. I will go on the assumption that it will switch automatically to the full tank when the first tank is empty. I am a bit surprised that the owner's manual doesn't cover the operation.

Thanks again for your input.

JohnDar

Regardless of how it's supposed to operate, be wary of it. I've learned not to trust it.

SilverRhino

Way to Comlicated for Me

This fellow explained it pretty well. I was confused about just what the thing was supposed to do as well.

With the Marshall 250 auto changeover regulator it will draw from both tanks ... first from the "Service" tank and then from the "Reserve" tank. You, the RV owner, turn the selector lever to the "Service" tank (whichever tank you want to use first) and the other tank becomes your "Reserve" tank. The "Service" tank is the one that shows green, or red, on the indicator. If it's green, then you have gas in the "Service" tank and you are drawing from the "Service" tank. If it's red, the "Service" tank is empty and you are drawing from the "Reserve" tank.

Now, if it's red, switch the lever to the "Reserve" tank. This "Reserve" tank now becomes your "Service" tank and, if you have propane in the "Reserve" tank, the indicator will turn green. You can now close the valve on the empty tank and have it filled and reinstall it and it now becomes your "Reserve" tank.

The "only" thing you need to do is keep checking to see if you have a green, or red indicator. If it's green, you're good to go. If it's red, you need to fill that tank but you ARE drawing off the other tank. So, if you don't watch the indicator and it turns red, it WILL drain your "Reserve" tank which will leave you without propane.

Knowing that I will forget to keep checking the status.......I think I'll continue with my practice of only have one tank on at a time.....seems much easier.

Just my observation :)

JohnDar

Knowing that I will forget to keep checking the status.......I think I'll continue with my practice of only have one tank on at a time.....seems much easier.

Just my observation :)

I agree. Just because I now know how it's supposed to work doesn't mean it does what it's supposed to. Been fooled twice by "auto-regulators." Never again.