Preparing water tank and lines for storage?

pcthikersam

pcthikersam
I am the proud owner of a brand new 2010 Bighorn 3055RL. I would like to know what is the proven way to prep the fresh water tank lines for storage so it doesn't grow mildew or take on bad taste.
Thanks in advance for any information.

Sam & Patricia Owen
Everett, Wa.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Sam, Welcome to the Heartland family & Forum. I've relocated your question into the maintenance section and you should get some feedback soon. You might try doing a search on "winterizing" using our search link in the tool bar. I'm sure you'll find a variety of methods.

2010augusta

I use RV anti-freeze and winterize everything. Blowing out lines with air works for others, but it could leave some moisture in the lines and grow mildew. To use the trailer again, I just flush the line with a lot of water and maybe a little bleach.

Bobby A

I use RV anti-freeze and winterize everything. Blowing out lines with air works for others, but it could leave some moisture in the lines and grow mildew. To use the trailer again, I just flush the line with a lot of water and maybe a little bleach.

Ditto !!!

Only one thing to consider, I have been told to blow out the line for the sani-flush on these Big Horns. I'm really not sure why because on my old SOB that I had for 7 years and never had to blow out the sani-flush line and never had a problem with winter freeze up's hear in MI. But better be safe than sorry and blow it out, so they say.

Bill1374

Our prep is pure winterization. Drain tanks and lines and fill lines with antifreeze. Normal midwinter startup (read heading to Florida) entails flushing the lines with a shot of bleach to sanitize.

Bill

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Our prep is pure winterization. Drain tanks and lines and fill lines with antifreeze. Normal midwinter startup (read heading to Florida) entails flushing the lines with a shot of bleach to sanitize.

Bill

My prep is also 'pure winterization'...of the different kind! :cool: Move into it fulltime; keep it warm in the winter! :D

2010augusta

Ditto !!!

Only one thing to consider, I have been told to blow out the line for the sani-flush on these Big Horns. I'm really not sure why because on my old SOB that I had for 7 years and never had to blow out the sani-flush line and never had a problem with winter freeze up's hear in MI. But better be safe than sorry and blow it out, so they say.

Thanks, I forgot that, Mine froze when we had to fly out to the east coast in March, since we full-time too winterazation is a bit rusty.

Bobby A

Thanks, I forgot that, Mine froze when we had to fly out to the east coast in March, since we full-time too winterazation is a bit rusty.

No problem 2010augusta, its easy to forget, I also full time and have to be mindfull of that and the washer lines.

curt717

Happy Campers
I have a 09 Bighorn and am going to do my first winterization. I understand the heater and draining and blowing out the lines process. There is a small diameter hose labeled "antifreeze" in the docking station. The question I have is that do I pull it out and stick it a jug of antifreeze and then turn on the pump or do I need some type of adapter for the jug to attach too?

Thanks

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
No adapter needed. Just make sure the Hot Water Heater and Fresh Water tank are bypassed. The pump will draw the anti-freeze from the jug.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You should drain your water from the water heater at least once a year or anytime it will set up for over a month. Replace the anode rod when it gets small or very corroded.

Boca_Shuffles

Regarding the Washer Connection: If you never use the washer connection because you don't have a washer, is it correct to assume that the line still needs to be winterized with anti-freeze being pumped into a bucket?

Since we never had a washer, this is something that I might overlook if I am rushed during winterization. :eek:

jbeletti

Regarding the Washer Connection: If you never use the washer connection because you don't have a washer, is it correct to assume that the line still needs to be winterized with anti-freeze being pumped into a bucket?

Since we never had a washer, this is something that I might overlook if I am rushed during winterization. :eek:

Yes - you will want to winterize the W/D prep. There is water in the lines going to the washer faucets and that water needs to be drained and/or replaced with RV antifreeze.

Jim

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yes - you will want to winterize the W/D prep. There is water in the lines going to the washer faucets and that water needs to be drained and/or replaced with RV antifreeze.

Jim

WITH a W/D installed, how do you drain the lines and the W/D to winterize. I would think you don't want to put antifreeze into the machine.

2010augusta

WITH a W/D installed, how do you drain the lines and the W/D to winterize. I would think you don't want to put antifreeze into the machine.

I just started a cycle with the washer while the pump was sucking up antifreeze, until I saw pink in the washer and then turned it off, reset to a drain function and let it pump some in to the drain. To use it again just tdo the same process again with clean water.

jbeletti

Similar to how Alan does it, I set it for COLD water wash and run until pink comes into the tub. Cancel the cycle, then set it for HOT water wash and run it until more pink comes into the tub, then cancel the cycle.

Jim