5th broken overhang

fyermn

While traveling with our 2925rk my wife noticed a small crack in the wall over the front slide out. Three days later, the outside of the trailer had a larger crack in the same spot. Since we were not in a location to have it checked out, we continued home. The whole front overhang has since dropped 3-4 inches on the hitch pin, and the front of the trailer has shifted to where the closet doors no longer hang square the the closet frame.
Anyone have any ideas of what has happened, and since the trailer is a 2007, it is out of factory warranty. Should I call Heartland and see what they say?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
fyermn, Your first contact should be your dealer to report your problem to them. Yes can can also call Heartland Customer Service 877-262-8032 and before you do, have your VIN ready. Depending on your delivery date, you might have a warranty remaining on the frame.

fyermn

I found out today that tack welds were used to connect the trailer to the frame. All six tack welds (3 on each side) broke, causing a separation of the trailer from the hitch pin frame. I was surprised that the connections were only tack welded and not fully welded. I believe that this is a factory manufacture defect, and after talking to some dealers of Heartland 5th wheels, I discovered mine is not the only one.
I also discovered that the trailer fiberglass had had a previous crack in the location of the tack weld on the left side of the trailer, even though I purchased the trailer as NEW, and nothing was mentioned about the repair.
I will call the factory tomorrow, and see if the implied warranty applies to this under the Magnuson-Moss act.

Pulltab

I want to make sure I understand what you are saying here. The frame plates that the pin box are bolted to were only tack welded? So this would be a Lippert issue and not specifically a Heartland? I have the same model and if that is what happened I need to check mine. Any chance you can snap a pic to post? Thanks in advance.

fyermn

I called the selling dealer(out of business), so I called Heartland Customer service, and Lippert customer service. Both wanted pictures, so I sent about 25 pictures to each one. I also called my insurance company, and THEY came and looked at it. Insurance said that it was DEFECTIVE manufacturing, and therefore would not be covered by insurance.

Heartland customer service never called back after 1 month of having pictures, so I wrote the President of the company. I finally received a Telephone call from customer service, almost 6 weeks after I sent pictures, and was told that if I bring the 5th wheel back to the factory, they would repair the damage. I asked that they send it to me in writing, and that was over a week ago, and I have not received it yet.
My problem is the trailer is at a shop, which tore it down to find the problem, and it is STILL torn down. The trailer is broken , and I feel it is not safe to drive with, and Heartland wants me to drive it about 2000 miles in that condition so they can repair it. It does not make since to me to take it all that way for the repair. With the cost of fuel to make the round trip, maybe twice, depending on how long it would take to do the repairs, plus hotel cost and food, during the travel without the trailer, and the weather in the rocky mountains and the mid-west during this time of the year, it seems that the repair shop where it is at now, could do the repairs, and have Heartland pay for it. As of now, it is out of my pocket for the tear down, and the possible remake, just to be able to move it somewhere else. Heartland has basically said that the welds were defective in the pictures they have seen, or they would not even consider doing the repairs after I have had the trailer for 2 1/2 years. I also found out that there was a fiberglass repair done to the trailer before I purchased it NEW from the dealer. The repair was done in the area of the spot welds on the left side.

It is to bad that Heartland will not step up to the plate and do the RIGHT thing for the Customer. The trailer has less than 6,000 miles on it.

jgilbert

Ummm..........Heartland did say to bring the trailer back to them and they would fix it, right? Sounds like they are trying to do the right thing, especially for a trailer that is out of warranty.

Joe

SilverRhino

"My problem is the trailer is at a shop, which tore it down to find the problem, and it is STILL torn down. The trailer is broken , and I feel it is not safe to drive with, and Heartland wants me to drive it about 2000 miles in that condition so they can repair it. It does not make since to me to take it all that way for the repair. With the cost of fuel to make the round trip, maybe twice, depending on how long it would take to do the repairs, plus hotel cost and food, during the travel without the trailer, and the weather in the rocky mountains and the mid-west during this time of the year, it seems that the repair shop where it is at now, could do the repairs, and have Heartland pay for it. As of now, it is out of my pocket for the tear down, and the possible remake, just to be able to move it somewhere else. Heartland has basically said that the welds were defective in the pictures they have seen, or they would not even consider doing the repairs after I have had the trailer for 2 1/2 years. I also found out that there was a fiberglass repair done to the trailer before I purchased it NEW from the dealer. The repair was done in the area of the spot welds on the left side."

Have you discussed all these issues with Heartland and/or Lippert?? It would surprise me if they would not work something out with you.........especially due to the safety issues of towing your unit.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
I do like the fastness of talking to someone, even on the phone. I do keep a log of the person, time and date and what is discussed. Then all that can be backed up in written form. Emails, etc just get buried by other new ones.

wdk450

Check the Lippert Website for other Lippert Locations

"My problem is the trailer is at a shop, which tore it down to find the problem, and it is STILL torn down. The trailer is broken , and I feel it is not safe to drive with, and Heartland wants me to drive it about 2000 miles in that condition so they can repair it. It does not make since to me to take it all that way for the repair. With the cost of fuel to make the round trip, maybe twice, depending on how long it would take to do the repairs, plus hotel cost and food, during the travel without the trailer, and the weather in the rocky mountains and the mid-west during this time of the year, it seems that the repair shop where it is at now, could do the repairs, and have Heartland pay for it. As of now, it is out of my pocket for the tear down, and the possible remake, just to be able to move it somewhere else. Heartland has basically said that the welds were defective in the pictures they have seen, or they would not even consider doing the repairs after I have had the trailer for 2 1/2 years. I also found out that there was a fiberglass repair done to the trailer before I purchased it NEW from the dealer. The repair was done in the area of the spot welds on the left side."

Have you discussed all these issues with Heartland and/or Lippert?? It would surprise me if they would not work something out with you.........especially due to the safety issues of towing your unit.

Lippert has a number of locations nationwide (see their website). Maybe you can make a deal for one closer to you. Keep CALLING Heartland.

I would also consider making a National Highway Safety Administration unsafe vehicle report.

Good Luck!!!

fyermn

I am still waiting for Heartland to send me their reply in writing. I would never do any action with just a telephone call. It has been over a week now, and still no reply in writing.

My initial contact was a Telephone call to Heartland, but everything else, from me, has been in writing. That is what I want from them. Then, maybe a deal can be worked out.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I would also consider making a National Highway Safety Administration unsafe vehicle report.

Good Luck!!!

Careful, it is just this type of talk that will shut down a thread and cause possible unwanted effects for the original poster. These types of issues need to be dealt with outside this forum.

Mark

jimtoo

(Quote: )
Originally Posted by wdk450

Good Luck!!!
Careful, it is just this type of talk that will shut down a thread and cause possible unwanted effects for the original poster. These types of issues need to be dealt with outside this forum.

Mark (Quote: )

You are so right Mark. Per rule #10, legal advice is forbidden in public forum. So any more and it will be shut down.

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Why do people try to deal with issues on this forum. When having an issue with your coach the way to deal with it is by contacting Heartland Customer. This forum is not Heartland Customer Service. Rather than wait for days or weeks for correspondence pick up the telephone an call. Keep calling until you are able to talk to the right person. Keep asking for supervisors. Explain the situation to the factory and see what they can work out. We cannot force the factory to do anything. Try another phone call explaining that your coach is in a shop and has been taken apart to dianose the problem and see if they will not authorize that shop to make the repair if they are capable of it. They will authorize non-Heartland dealers to make repairs but they have to talk to the shop. Have the shop call the person at Heartland who can authorize the repair. Your might be surprised how easy it is if the proper steps are taken.

SilverRhino

Why do people try to deal with issues on this forum. When having an issue with your coach the way to deal with it is by contacting Heartland Customer. This forum is not Heartland Customer Service. Rather than wait for days or weeks for correspondence pick up the telephone an call. Keep calling until you are able to talk to the right person. Keep asking for supervisors. Explain the situation to the factory and see what they can work out. We cannot force the factory to do anything. Try another phone call explaining that your coach is in a shop and has been taken apart to dianose the problem and see if they will not authorize that shop to make the repair if they are capable of it. They will authorize non-Heartland dealers to make repairs but they have to talk to the shop. Have the shop call the person at Heartland who can authorize the repair. Your might be surprised how easy it is if the proper steps are taken.

Jim;

I agree.......the forum is not "Customer Service". Share information about your unit.....what the problem is.......and then.....how it was solved. All the steps in between need to be dealt with via recognized methods. It really is a waste of time to wait for the "Forum Fix"

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Travel Safe!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I am still waiting for Heartland to send me their reply in writing. I would never do any action with just a telephone call. It has been over a week now, and still no reply in writing.

My initial contact was a Telephone call to Heartland, but everything else, from me, has been in writing. That is what I want from them. Then, maybe a deal can be worked out.

This is what bothers me...why would you insist all communication be in writing? Myself and many others on this forum can attest to their honesty...when they SAY they will do something, they do it...period!

I can only think of one reason you would want to create such a paper trail...and I really don't think that will get you the final resolution you really want.

Call them...work out an arrangement and be done with it!

Northern Virginia
They are asking him over the phone to drive 2000 miles with a broken trailer with frame welding cracks and he ask them to confirm it in writing prior to that and some of you think he is being petty? Are you for real?

Northern Virginia
I in no way meant that as personal, and if it came across as such, I apologize. Maybe I should have said that I couldn't disagree more, I think his concern (to get it in writing) is not only valid but prudent.

John

bigredtruck

i have to agree that if I were goiung to transport the stripped down trailer that far, I would want something in writing.