Brake controller

Having a few issues with a an older model brake controller that I'm presently using. First, I can't see the little LED light changing colors when braking because I'm color blind. I can see it getting brighter if I watch it but that's not cool when driving. Second, I have to keep adjusting the leveling control when driving. On our last trip I had to make a hard stop which I was able to make ok. The next time I went to make a stop into a rest area I had no trailer brakes and had to adjust the leveling controller again.

So, my question is do I need a new brake controller or is this just how they work? This is the first time I have ever pulled a trailer with a brake controller. If I was to buy a new controller does any one have any suggestions on what kind to buy?

timdebs

I have a Prodigy Brake Controller. I have had it about 5 years and have only adjusted it a couple of times. I now pull a 5er and the Prodigy is still working great. One thing I like about it is it has a "c" on display that tells me I have a good connection to the trailer and it also has a numerical display showing you the braking power. You would not have to worry about colored lights.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Max brake, is easy to setup. The setup matches the Truck's brakes, so it is adjusted the same (no change needed) from trailer to trailer. Readout is in current draw (AMPS). Very smooth in operation.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I had the Prodigy on the last truck (new truck has intregrated controller). The Prodigy is great and proportional, meaning it basically tracks your brake pedal pressure input, more pressure on brake pedal more pressure on trailer brakes. Most controllers are fully on or fully off. I never had to adjust the Prodigy one it was set.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a FORD.:rolleyes:... It came with a brake controller.. Works great.:D

Buy a Ford.. You won't have to buy a brake controller.:eek:

BC

2010augusta

The controller is built-in to the ford and it works well. I set it on 10 and forget it while haulin the LM, if I have to pull a flat-bed/car hauler, I set it to 4/5 and it done.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I have a Prodigy which has been installed in 3 different trucks. Works great each time with little to no adjusting.

traveler44

My used Ford has one on it that has a sticker on it that says PILOT. It has a digital readout that goes from .5 up to 8.5 and is and is very easy to see and adjust. It seems to hold the adjustment that you set it to very well no matter if you are going up hill or down. If I do make a minor adjustment it is as simple as turning a wheel on the side, slightly and it responds very well. I bought my truck from a private party in Minnesota but if you are interested I can go through the paper work and find out where he got it. I hope you get something that works for you. Tom M.