Pin box catches the side of my truck bed

I just bought a Cyclone 3950 and we are now in the learning curve of using it. Right off I experinced a problem while turning a semi tight corner. While I was watching to make sure the cab did not catch the trailer; the back of the pin box got into the rail on the side of my truck bed that is used for the Roll Bak Cover. The trailer to cab wasn't even close. I have a B&W Companion hitch and on the way home we stopped in a parking lot and raised it to the highest position hoping that it would provide enough height to clear the side. It will clear if everything is perfect but for all practical puposes, I can not turn very sharp. The problem is that the distance from the pin to the back of the pin box is more than the clearance to the side of my bed with the rail for the cover. Is there another pin box that would give more clearance? If the pin on the pin box was not quite so far forward, I think that everything would be fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
For my suggestion it depends on your pin box. If it is the squared off box with a small corner cut on the lower rear, this might help. If it's the style with the large (longer) lower rear angle , then this wont work for you. I used a sawzall with a good bi mateal blade and trimmed off a few inches at the lower rear section of the pin box. See attached before and after pictures. I have a truxedo roll up tonneau and it used to cut the side frame rails on tight turns as you describe. The 3rd picture shows approximately where I made the cut.

Attachments

• Copy of before1.JPG
    Copy of before1.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 257
  • Copy of after2.JPG
    Copy of after2.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 250
  • Copy of before1 cut line.jpg
    Copy of before1 cut line.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 244
After I looked at the pin box this morning I don't think that I can cut it down like you described. It has a flange like an angle iron along the bottom heading out and the bolts are pretty close to the back edge. Sure thought that you had the solution until I looked at it this morning. Thanks for the suggestion.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you cannot figure out a fix go to a trailer hitch place and see if they can make a modification. They run into this stuff all the time and may have to raise your hitch in the bed.

caissiel

now that is a design flaw to me, the distance from the back of the Pin box to the pin cannot be more then the 1/2 distance of the total width of the inner box walls, unless the cover extends inside the box then the rear of the pin box has to be cut. if it is cut on an angle toward the back and leaving the metal closer to the trailer frame it should keep the structural strenght of the pin box. Just raising the hitch will leave the possibilty to hit the side again in a rough terain.
I was in that situation with the trailer hitting my rear of cab bar supports that are over the box, This will change soon to, no way will I hit the new trailer.

I talked to B&W yesterday and they acknowledge the problem. They say that GM raised the height of the truck bed sides and thus the clearance problem. He also said that they are working on a solution but that it would involve a complete redesign since they are uncomfortable with simply raising the height of the hitch. He said that it would put too much stress on the frame and truck bed. I just talked to Heartland rep and he said that I should call Lippert and see if they have a solution. If I moved the king pin backward about 2 inches, it would clear I think but that would also reduce my turning radius as well. I know that Lippert has a pin box that has the same bolt pattern but it sets the king pin back about 9 inches. I think that would severly limit my turning radius. Anyway still looking for options. Thanks for the suggestions.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The photo is our BH newly installed on our 2009 GMC long bed. As you can see, I have a roll up cover that has rails that protrude inside the bed area. The only thing that comes close to contacting the cover rails is the plastic pin box cover. There is enough of a gap and flexibility in the cover to not seriously impact the metal bed cover rails on even very tight turns. I've watched it in the mirror while backing into a tight space and it did not contact. We have a standard Reese 16K hitch.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jess, the higher bed rails started 3 years ago in 2007. I'm not sure why you are having that much of a problem with your set up. Lots of "new" body style Chevys and GMC's out there pulling HL products. The height difference is 1 1/2 inches. Bob:D

Here are some pictures of my problem. As you can see we did make some modifications to the cover.

Attachments

• pin box.JPG
    pin box.JPG
    390.8 KB · Views: 148
  • pinbox cover.JPG
    pinbox cover.JPG
    400.7 KB · Views: 147
  • rail.JPG
    rail.JPG
    460.7 KB · Views: 136
  • hitch.JPG
    hitch.JPG
    409.3 KB · Views: 127
  • ding.JPG
    ding.JPG
    409.7 KB · Views: 131

porthole

Retired
If I moved the king pin backward about 2 inches, it would clear I think but that would also reduce my turning radius as well. I know that Lippert has a pin box that has the same bolt pattern but it sets the king pin back about 9 inches. I think that would severly limit my turning radius. Anyway still looking for options. Thanks for the suggestions.

A shorter pin box shouldn't change your turning radius that much with Heartland trailers. The trailer width is what ultimately limits the turning radius, no?

When I had my Mor/Ryde hitch installed I inquired about a shorter pin box. I just think it would travel better with less stress on the pin box and frame if it was shorter. But Lippert's shorter pin box as you found out is 9" shorter, and that might be a bit much.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jess, I guess I should have read this thread more in depth. Its the sliding "cover" bed rails that are being hit. Just how wide are those rails? Can you move them down? I'm amazed that Lippert is being blamed (not by you) for some after market bed cover rails. "design flaw". Did the manufacturer of the rails guarantee that a 5th wheel pin box would not hit the rails? Just for sake of argument, does the pin box hit the "truck" bed rails with the "cover" rails removed?? Bob:D

kkflstf

This is a problem, I have a 08', 09', gmc 2500 wight b&w conpanion hitch and a 08' F550 with a chariot star hauler conversion and curt 21Q hitch. I have to be careful with all 3. The gmc's have no bed covers or rail mod's of any kind. I've kissed my rhino linning on both. The F-550 WILL get dinged if I turn tight on anthing less than unlevel ground. The GM trucks would be fine with .5" and the Ford with probably 2" less.

jbeletti

This is a problem, I have a 08', 09', gmc 2500 wight b&w conpanion hitch and a 08' F550 with a chariot star hauler conversion and curt 21Q hitch. I have to be careful with all 3. The gmc's have no bed covers or rail mod's of any kind. I've kissed my rhino linning on both. The F-550 WILL get dinged if I turn tight on anthing less than unlevel ground. The GM trucks would be fine with .5" and the Ford with probably 2" less.

I have a 2007 F550 with a Chariot 7-door hauler bed and the Curt 20k Q5. I have the hitch and pinbox setup to tow level and I have never come close to hitting the bed. Perhaps you are trailering "nose low"? Consider raising the Curt to the highest position possible. This will get the pinbox to the highest possible position relative to the bed, then relevel the RV by using higher holes where the pinbox mates to the trailer frame.

Jim

2010augusta

How can the pin box even get close to the bed with the hauler body bed? My hitch sets about 6' above the side boxes on mine. I have not even considered the possibility of it ever making contact.

On a side note, What is the difference in the Chariot haulers and the Utility bodywerks haulers? It looks like the same bed and interiors and accessories what is the difference?

rick_debbie_gallant

Put me a tri-fold tonneau on my dodge. No issues at all with it. No rails to mess with and I get the front third of my truck bed covered. Works for me.

kkflstf

Thanks Jim,

I should have mentioned the trailer is a Cyclone 3795. don't know if that would make any difference. But the trailer sited dead level, I mean bubble level sitting on the scale. The truck is slighly higher in the rear maybe 2". We have another trailer (brand X) with a 5th airborne ahat clears fine. But there is quite a bit of difference in the pin box designs. Thanks...

jbeletti

...On a side note, What is the difference in the Chariot haulers and the Utility bodywerks haulers? It looks like the same bed and interiors and accessories what is the difference?

Alan,

They are very similar. I have a Chariot and Tom (Tom of Ypsi) has a Utility Bodywerks. I know the door design and hardware are different. But from a utility and form factor perspective, they are functionally equivalent.

Jim

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I just looked at your pictures and it appears that the problem is not with the hitch or the pin box, but that the roll back rails extend too far inside the truck bed. It looks like at least two inches on each side. I have a ReTrax roll back cover and the rails only overlap the interior of the bed by around 1/2 inch. The pin box cover comes close, but even at nearly 90* turn doesn't hit.

Hope I'm wrong and there's a better fix than replacing the roll back.

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
Definatly looks like a problem that has to do only with an aftermarket bed cover rail. I believe I would call the maker of the bed cover system about a fix before i went to the hitch or frame manufacturer for a problem that they have nothing to do with.