cgunn

Workampers

I'm sure there are several.
We are workamping at Jellystone RV Park & Resort,
just outside of St Louis...
Maybe more folks will chime in.

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
Hi Ark Slim,we are work campers last year 2008 we worked at Petrified Forest National Park. This winter we will work camp in Roma Texas visitor center Oct 1 2009 to Apr 1 2010 TRAVELER07

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We workamped in Corpus Christi last Winter and this Winter we have a position in Indio, CA. Why do you ask???

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We're working January and March at one of the Texas state parks near Houston.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
We workamped in Corpus Christi last Winter and this Winter we have a position in Indio, CA. Why do you ask???

Maybe he asked because he would like to hear about your experiences with it. I know I sure would like to learn a little bit about.

I have been on workampers site and a few others to learn but hearing from someone on this forum-first hand-would be great.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Maybe he asked because he would like to hear about your experiences with it. I know I sure would like to learn a little bit about.

I have been on workampers site and a few others to learn but hearing from someone on this forum-first hand-would be great.

From the title of his post, "How Many" I didn't want to assume anything. That's why I asked.
Our experience last year was our first with workamping. We received our site, electric up to $100, $20 laundry allowance and 1/2 price wi-fi. We were also offered a shed for storage if we wanted it but declined. Some campgrounds report your earnings to the feds for taxes and some don't. In return, Lin worked in the office for 24 hours per week. I worked doing light maintenance around the park and was paid hourly. The most I ever put in was 12 hours a week. Pretty rough eh?
This coming season we will be working the same days. Lin in the office and I'm not sure what I'll be doing. We work 2 days a week. Anything over that and we'll be paid hourly. We're not too concerned about the requirements at this point. We have some friends we've known for over 30 years that are managing the Park and we'll be reporting to them. It should work out just fine. Different parks have different requirements. I guess it would be best to sign up/join with workamper and start looking for jobs and post your resume on the site. We had to give both parks resumes before being considered.

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
I work camp at Ozark RV Park in Mountain View Ark. I do grounds maintenance 2 days a week 4 to 5 hrs each day for a free site with full H/U's cable TV and WiFi and all the coffee and donuts I want.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
The job that I took with TX P & W is for a 20 hour work week in return for a free site. I'm not certain about any other freebies, but have heard that propane is furnished. Wifi is free in all Texas state parks.

I'm told that it will be picking up trash including tree limbs and cleaning the restrooms twice a week. Not too thrilled about that, but what the hey, I'll try it.

ArkSlim

Thanks for all the replys . We are fulltimers and workampers and have been for 9+ yrs. I usually do lite maintance in return for site & utilities and as you know this varies from place to place. Seems like its getting harder to get good jobs.

DMAX154

I am sometimes, right now yes I am. I also was this time last year and this year in the spring. Close enough to go home on the weekends but to far to drive everyday.

jgilbert

We spent the summer workamping at Adventureland Amusement Park outside Des Moines, Iowa. 32 hours a week max. Pay for all hour worked at $7 per. Site costs $100 total for the nearly 6 months we were there. Great place to work, great people to work for and with.

Joe

MD Buck

We are going to Custer, SD to work camp this summer. 25 hrs./ wk for each of us for full hookup site and $1000/month stipend. Site won't be reported as income as it is required to live on site as part of the security and the park owner gets to write that off as an expense.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
We have been work camping for the last 3 years and still hold our fulltime jobs. We are at a local State Park from mid April to mid October. We are looking forward to getting the Big Horn back to the park in April or sooner if the weather cooperates.

cowtrac

Re: How many?

Corpus Christi is our home, though we are workamping in Cripple Creek, CO at the KOA. Where did you workamp in CC?

jimtoo

Corpus Christi is our home, though we are workamping in Cripple Creek, CO at the KOA. Where did you workamp in CC?

Hi cowtrac,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

If you asking about the LeTouneau's they were at the park in Flour Bluff,, Colonial Del Rey. Don't know for sure where they are going this year,,, but think the RGV. We grew up in CC and now live in George West...our growing years were 1953--1959 ....area.

Enjoy the forum and come on back home...

Jim M

caissiel

We have been building homes for Habitat for Humanity in Florida for the past 5 winters. We pay a bit for site and meet great people while there. The economy have hit Florida hard and Its getting harder to build homes. But it's a great thing to do while enjoying the winter south.

Our Favorite spot has been Indian River Habitat for Humanity in Vero Beach, Fl.