North Trail FX-22?

jiminny

To all Heartland product designers, engineers and marketing personnel: Please make me a North Trail FX-22! I have looked at the FX floorplans and the Edge floorplans. They seem pretty similar except for frame and exterior construction. There is and FX-13 to Edge's M13, an FX-18/M18, and FX-19 and 21 to the M19 and 21. The only thing missing in the series is the FX-22 floorplan known as the Edge M22. Are there any plans to make one? Thank you.

jiminny

Fx-22

Thanks for the information. The FX and Edge lines are what a growing segment of the market will be turning to in the future and Heartland is right on target in developing this niche. People getting into rving today are looking for something to pull with their lighter weight vehicles on the market today. That doesn't mean diesel 3/4 ton PU's are going away, anytime soon. I have even heard of some 5th owners downsizing to an ultra lite tt. I just think that not every family is going to be happy with a 14 ft, 7 1/2 wide trailer, tho. Heartland is one of the few makers that may have a 26 ft long narrow width trailer on the market in the near future. (and that includes one with a slideout and bunkhouse!) I have a couple questions, though: would it be possible on the FX line to switch to 3500# axles to increase the meager 900# CCC? (I am assuming it has a 6" I-beam like the rest of the NT line.) Reason being, with under 1k# cargo cap., it doesn't take much higher math to figure how a moderately optioned trailer with full LP tanks, a WD hitch, maybe dual batt. or small gen. setup, and the usual cargo will end up over weight after an average 4-day stay, when the owner decides to go down the road a piece so he can dump two full 37 gal. waste tanks. If an owner decided to upgrade and switch out his 2800# axles for a set of 3500#'s, would the trailer be adversely affected? or the warrantee voided? Thanks again for being there to answer my questions. This site is providing a great service to its members. Thank you, admins, for doing a great job managing the flow of communication.

Jim,
in NY

rl7greg

I am 99% sure my Edge M22 has 3500 lb axles, so I assume the upcoming FX22 would have at least that.

jiminny

opps!

Sorry, I misquoted the axle rating in my earlier post. According to the specs on the web site, all tandem axle FX's have 2500# axles, not the 2800# I referred to. Sorry. Again, according to the web site, most tandem axle Edge trailers have 2000# axles and only the M22 has (2) 2500# axles for a GVWR of 4900#. Having said that, the M22 has a dry wt. of 3550, leaving a cargo capacity of 1350# inclusive of options, fluids, hitch, LP, and battery. That is good compared to the FX-21's cargo cap. of 825# with the same axles. And that goes back to my original point, is this enough for the average family and could an upgrade of the axle wt. rating be in the new design for the FX-22? I am hoping for answer to the wt. question from the factory.

Glad to hear you have an M-22, how do you like it? I see you are towing it with a Traverse, the new crossover from Chevy. How is the towing experience? Any issues with sway, or is it too new to tell, yet? How do the windows and screens operate? Do you have to open the screen to open and close the window? It seemed that way from the pics and video on the site. Not really sure. I look forward to hearing any comments you might care to share about the rv. Congrats and enjoy your travels!

rl7greg

...according to the web site, most tandem axle Edge trailers have 2000# axles and only the M22 has (2) 2500# axles

I read that as well, but the "3500lb" sticker on one of the axle disagrees. I will crawl under there and take a closer look, but the sticker may be gone now - we've put 5000km on it.

Glad to hear you have an M-22, how do you like it? I see you are towing it with a Traverse, the new crossover from Chevy. How is the towing experience? Any issues with sway, or is it too new to tell, yet? How do the windows and screens operate? Do you have to open the screen to open and close the window? It seemed that way from the pics and video on the site. Not really sure. I look forward to hearing any comments you might care to share about the rv. Congrats and enjoy your travels!

I really like my Edge. Love that it's so spacious for the weight, and love the big fridge, the layout for a family of 4, and all the headroom makes it feel bigger too. I could list a bunch of things I wish it had or ways it was slightly different, but the good things outweigh them by far.

I was very happy with how the Traverse tows. I posted about it already here: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=11391&highlight=chevrolet+traverse and I have the Reese Strait-line hitch - http://reeseprod.com/products/accessory.asp?cat=1665&path=Strait-Line which seems very good.

The screen/shade system on the Edge is very cool - vinyl shade that is white on the inside, reflective silver on the outside. The shade is moved up and down and locks in at different positions from closed to open, and rolls into the bottom and the screen is spring loaded into the top of the frame and is clipped together to the shade on the sides. You do have to separate them to open the window, but it is very easy. They are made by 'Seitz' which is owned by Dometic - http://www.dometic.com/enie/International/Site/Caravan/Window-Systems/products/?productdataid=69760

Greg

jiminny

Thanks, Greg. Glad to hear you are enjoying your M22. I am so impressed that the Traverse can tow so much. I thought most V6 crossovers maxed out at around 3500#. Thanks, again, for sharing your experiences with the Edge. It is much appreciated.

Happy travels!
Jim

jiminny

Maybe someone from the factory can chime in on whether Greg's M22 should have a 2500# rated axle or the 3500# version he claims to have. If so, can anyone also comment on what choice of axles are to debut with the FX22 this October?

Note to Admin: I seem to recall starting this thread in the Ask the Factory section.
Was it moved? If so, why? It seems to reason that if I ask a question hoping to get some feedback from the factory, how are they going to follow this thread if it isn't in the "ask the factory" area?

rl7greg

I took a closer look. They say "3500#" in huge print, and "GAWR 2500lbs" in small print. Kind of strange...

M

Mcreech

The M-22 axle should be 2500lbs.....however from time to time our suppliers run us out of our spec equipment and when they do that we have to subsitute...We just can't shut down the line....So i this case we were out of 2500 lbs axles and we used 3500lbs for that week or so....... Also, I believe the FX22 will have 3500lbs axles...I'm guessing the weight of the FX 22 will be 4500 or so

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Maybe someone from the factory can chime in on whether Greg's M22 should have a 2500# rated axle or the 3500# version he claims to have. If so, can anyone also comment on what choice of axles are to debut with the FX22 this October?

Note to Admin: I seem to recall starting this thread in the Ask the Factory section.
Was it moved? If so, why? It seems to reason that if I ask a question hoping to get some feedback from the factory, how are they going to follow this thread if it isn't in the "ask the factory" area?
Jim, your thread was moved because your original question was asked and answered. Every time a post is made in the ask the factory section, an e-mail is generated to the appropriate area of the factory. We try to keep regular discussions from bombarding the factory with e-mails. As you can see, the factory still monitors and may respond as needed but once an original question is answered we like to move it into a more appropriate area of the forum for follow up. Thanks for understanding and your posts.

jiminny

FX22 axles

Thanks, Mike, for following up on the axle question. It is good to know the FX22 will have a higher cargo capacity.

I hope this means that your design may have the capacity for an oven, and I also hope the wall thickness may allow for a separate shower faucet and not the dreaded sink faucet extension hose. Too much water ends up on the floor.

If the design is still in flux at this time and you don't mind any more suggestions... may I suggest you don't include the triangular base cabinet for the ent. system in the FX22. Please consider extending the sink counter and cabinets to the door, instead. People need more food prep space and storage. If you mount the TV and stereo above, the controls are kept out of the reach of children, as a bonus.

Some years ago, I bought a big screen tv with a built in dvd for the home, before we had kids. Now I realize the mistake since my 3 yr old has discovered the TV might be hungry from time to time! (lol)

Fortunately, she only fed the TV more disks and not something more messy. I don't care to mention how many times I have had to take a butter knife to that dvd disk tray, tho.

This is just some food for thought, for what it is worth. I hope you find the suggestions helpful. I make them in earnest and as a prospective customer, considering my purchase carefully, and thinking I will go with North Trail because of the innovative design, good build quality and customer service.

Thank you for your responses.
Have a great day.

Jim

jiminny

Hello Ray,

Thank you for taking the time to explain how the forum handles the threads. I had hoped Mike would be able to follow the thread and answer further questions related to the initial subject, as they came up in the discussion. Sure enough, that is what happened.

Happy camping,

Jim