Generator Wiring

jdoddharm

How can I tell if my Eagle Ridge 5th wheel is wired for a generator? I am wanting to install a generator and the place I call asked if it was pre-wired from the factory, also what size generator would I need for mine, I just added another air conditioner?
Thanks

2010augusta

I believe the easiest way to know is if you have a start switch and hour meter in the control panel area with the other trailer switches. You can also check if their is a junction box in the front storage area.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Check your sales contract. If you didn't order and pay for it as an option, it aint there. Or just call Heartland customer service and give them your Eagle Ridge VIN and they will give you the information you need. Easy as that.

Peace
Dave

B

bwwalczak

Thank you for your post.

Generator prep is a rather substantial option. This includes, special generator compartment box installed into compartment area, LP lines run from tanks, electrical junction box, plus run/stop switch with timer inside the coach.

The easiest way to have this option is to have the factory install when manufacturing. It is possible to install aftermarket, however this could become costly.

Check your coach to see if it is prepped, look for the switch and timer located near the slide room controls. If it is not there, it is not prepped from the factory.

I hope this helps.

jimpav

As the Eagle Ridge line is an "entry level" trailer, such forethought like prewiring and such are not there. Just look at your anemic bathroom fan. I have the 35DSRl (Eagle Ridge), and although I cannot fault the quality of workmanship, I do not expect to find some items that are optional on higher line (price) trailers.
I just carry a Kipor 3500ti in the bed of my P/U. Just wondering, where were you planning to mount the generator, and the assocoated transfer switch, power management system, etc.

jdoddharm

Thanks, Bryan
Can you tell me where I might could get a schematic to wire one in and what size do you think I would need? I can't seem to find anyone around here that wants to install one everybody I have called either doesn't return my call or they are too busy, so I am probably going to do it myself.

grizzlygiant

Doing it yourself will be a big job. First you have to locate a space adequate for a tin box to house the generator. The box must bee ventilated to the exterior and also must have provision for cooling air in/out. You then must tap into the propane system and run a line to the box. You must install a transfer switch (shore/generator) in the shore power line and add wires to the generator. You will need to install a control panel at a convenient place on the interior of the coach with wiring to the box. Installing the HEAVY generator is no small task. Then you must install an exhaust system. All in all a big job for most of us!

Generator size; at LEAST a 4500 watt to power just the 2 ac. Lots of weight and lots of gas.

jdoddharm

jimpav do you like your kipor, if I decide to go with a portable unit I was considering a kipor but I didn't know how quiet they are.

jimpav

The Kipor 3500ti works great. It's slightly less than 100 lbs and I put it ahead of the hitch and strap it down. You just have to make sure that you have it off the "power save" mode when you turn on the A/C. I also, through my EMS, monitor the amps to be sure I don't exceed the 30 amp rating. It's also a good PM idea to fire it up under load for about 1 hour each month. They like to be exercised. We ran it in the blazing heat in Iowa a couple of months ago and it performed flawlessly. You can get a re-manufactured one if you shop around for about $1K. That's a lot less than the Honda units. The Kipor I believe is just as quiet also. So far, so good.

jdoddharm

jimpav,
I bought me a 6000 watt Kipor and really like it, we have used it twice, its quiet and doesn't use a lot of gas.