slider awning

4ever

I have a 2010 Bighorn 3410RE. The door side slider awning always collects water when it rains. The other two slider awnings don't. Is there any adjustments that can be made to the slider awning to take some of the slack out?

Thanks

rick_debbie_gallant

I have the same issue on my 2010 3670. Sure does become a pain after a while. Any remedies? I am thinking about putting an inflated beach ball in the middle of the slider. A string would be attached to pull it out before closing the slide. What ya think. Or perhaps a childs swim ring and beach ball in the middle of it. That would make a tent that SHOULD shed water.:cool:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
4ever, rick debbie gallant, I think that anybody with a long slideout awning will have the same issue with water collecting in the sag of the awning. I know that I did. I tried the beach ball with a string, but when it got windy I was chasing the ball through the campground, as it blew out. What I did was bought a 10 foot piece of 3/4 inch PVC and some T's and elbows and constructed a brace for under the awning. I did not glue the center leg so I can pull it apart for storage. It work great.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• small.jpg
    small.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 193

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
4ever, rick debbie gallant, I think that anybody with a long slideout awning will have the same issue with water collecting in the sag of the awning. I know that I did. I tried the beach ball with a string, but when it got windy I was chasing the ball through the campground, as it blew out. What I did was bought a 10 foot piece of 3/4 inch PVC and some T's and elbows and constructed a brace for under the awning. I did not glue the center leg so I can pull it apart for storage. It work great.

Peace
Dave

I copied your design and extended the base legs just a bit. Other than the upright supports, there is no need to glue the assembly together.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ted, I've moved your post from the "Ask the Factory" section to the General Modifications area. The slide toppers may be adjustable for tension and this would be something that could be done by your dealer or you might go the the manufacturers website for instruction. Also a forum member may have information on possible adjustments. I think for the most part, Heartland installs the slide toppers according to the manufacturers instruction.

Triber

I had the same problem with the large slide on my '09 Big Horn 3670. I made a brace out of 2" thick styrofoam insulation. I made it in two 4" lengths, with notched cross braces for stability. I cut the cross braces to match the taper of the topper. The two braces come apart quickly and store in a compact bag in the basement. It has worked great so far, even in a brisk wind.

Last edited: