garage, 3010

jbeletti

RVIA rules do not allow for an HVAC airway from the living portion of the coach to the garage portion. Some users have done their own but we cannot do this at the plant or recommend that you do it.

One idea for you is to add an air conditioner with a heat pump in place of the fantastic vent. You'd have to get AC power and a thermostat wire run to it but it is likely doable by a decent dealer service department. You'd use this in a down-draft way versus ducted.

Jim

trvlrerik

The garage a/c vent is pretty ineffective untill you do the "tent" modifications shown elsewere on this forum, after that it works pretty good, if you leave the living quarters/garage door open it stays nearly the same temp. In cold weather I have used a 1500 watt electric heater (20 degree outside). The kids in the top bunk complained the heat was to high, the kids on the lower bunk (next to the window) compained the window made them cold- sheets for the top bunk kids, sleeping bags for the lower bunk, everybody was happy.

upsman85

I see that the Keystone Fuzion with riva seal has both heat and A/C . How is Keystone getting around the rules?

Mike Aplin

We have been checking into the RVIA code updates to the availability of a heat source in the garage. It has always been a code violation in the past so we are checking to see if they have made any updates. We will keep you posted as to what we find out. Mike

porthole

Retired
My bad on this one Duane. Thanks for correcting me.

My reply was before your reply :D I had to wait for factory approval.
We're saying the same thing though RV or RVIA etc

Building codes for residential homes are similar with the HVAC systems being plumbed into garages. I believe it is due mostly with the possibility of pulling fumes from the garage into the living spaces in the return ducts.

I don't know how it works with the trailers, but if you have the door open to the garage and the AC on you are still pulling the air from the garage into the living quarters ?

That said, there is a sign in the garage next to the two bunks that exclaims - do not sleep here - or you may die!

upsman85

It all seems pretty crazy that you have two queen beds in a room your not to sleep in! lol , Im sure they have to put that sticker up to meet code.

Mike Aplin

It does sound "crazy" that we need to put that sticker in the garage. But that is what we are told that we have to do. I guess it is better to be safe than sorry. Thanks, Mike

porthole

Retired
We just think it is comical, thats all Mike. Understand perfectly why it is there.

My career is that of a fire fighter. Every piece of gear we use day in and day out has a tag saying we may die if we use the is in a hazardous area :eek:

Go figure.