Advise needed for long-term setup

2010augusta

My wife and I have been full-timing for almost a year, and have moved about every two months. Now we are planning on taking a permanent position in Washington state, and MAYBE not moving the trailer for at least a year. So what should we do to make a long term setup more enjoyable? I have had a thought about placing large jack-stands under the frame fore-and-aft of both axles to take the weight off the springs and tires, and not strain the bearings in one position. I might also steal HT's PVC sewer pipe drain. Anything else I need to consider.

Also we have not been to the Northwest much before. What do we need to be concerned about with the trailer and moisture and mold.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
Alan and Sandy

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Alan,

You might look into investing in a skirt. I don't personally know the weather/temps/wind in the PNW, but I'd bet it does get pretty chilly. Also, I rented a 125-150 Gal propane tank from a local vendor and had them keep it filled. When they first brought out the tank, the guy put a 'T' and valve inline - after my AUTO regulator - and sold me a 25' hose and regulator. Now all I get is a tank and have my own valve, hose and regulator for it. I like the idea of the jack stands - have considered that myself. Hearing about the rains in that area, after skirting - you could always put a fan under one end the Landmark to blow air, possibly preventing condensation build-up. Leave an exit for the air at the other end. That's my thoughts. :)

OK, more thoughts...you might give a good walk-around/over and make sure all your caulk is in good shape. And, if your Landmark has the exposed wood on the bottom of the slides - seal the edges to prevent the delamination issue currently being discussed on here. :cool:

2010augusta

HT, Good call on the plywood on the slides, I checked last night and it is exposed. I seal it up before we leave Texas.

I have already looked into a skirt, but the wife says we need to wait till we get a little bit more spending cash. The 2-week trip to Washington will take about $2000 in fuel for both vehicles and camping fees, and we will have a couple months before it gets real cold.

We'll check on the large propane tank too.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Alan,
Along the lines of what Gary said, I have been using a porch/steps from RV EZ Steps and have been very satisfied with it. It sets up very easily with no tools and really comes in handy when carrying in groceries, etc.

Draco Dog

Alan and Sandy, You don't say where in Washington state you will be staying. I have lived in Washington for most of my life. It is a wonderful state to live in, as are all the rest of the 49 states. I presently live in Oregon, but the 2 states are pretty much the same.

I'll leave the technical questions to others.

The west side of the state is cooler and wetter. We use the dry-z air bags and it seems to do the trick. The average rainfall is roughly 40 inches a year. That may seem like a lot, and maybe it is, but that is why the state is so beautiful.

The east side of the state (over the mountains) is more like a desert. I think they average more like 10 inches of rain a year. The weather is hotter in the summer and colder in the winter with much less rainfall during the year.

But, no matter where you are located. I think you will love it.

If you are on the west side of the mountains, we have the beautiful Pacific Ocean.

Take Care. cheri

2010augusta

Cheri:

we are going to the small town of Gig Harbor, about 20 NW of Tacoma, right on Puget Sound. I have spent all but the previous year of my life in Colorado at elevations of 6,200+ feet and very little rain, Gig Harbor is at 60 feet:eek:. I can't wait to have that much green around and have mount Rainer in our windows.

imchud

Cheri:

we are going to the small town of Gig Harbor, about 20 NW of Tacoma, right on Puget Sound. I have spent all but the previous year of my life in Colorado at elevations of 6,200+ feet and very little rain, Gig Harbor is at 60 feet:eek:. I can't wait to have that much green around and have mount Rainer in our windows.

Alan, I wish you and yours all the best... I don't know a thing about the west coast, it's always been a dream of mine to Visit that area and to spend some time exploring... I know i have nothing to add about what you would need to do to live a year in that area for a year but i'm sure the good people on this fourm can lead you in the right direction... The only thing i can add is i'm Jealous....:D:D:D, good luck....

chardel

Jack stands for long term parking

is there any "rule of thumb" on when to put trailer up on jack stands for longer term parking? - 3 months, 6 months, 1 year or more? also, is the best way to support the trailer in order to continue to use the trailer is with heavy duty jack stands in front of and behind axle on each side raised just enough to get tires off ground? Have considered more or less permanent parking trailer at an rv park and using it like "cabin" except for maybe moving it once a year for a visit to another one of the kids about 400 miles away for maybe a month a year and then back to the rv park for the rest of the year.