Lubrication--trail air suspension

aatauses

Hi everyone, how often do you grease your trial air suspension (grease fittings between the tires). I ask the dealer and he said 'every once in awhile'?? Also, how much grease and what type.
Not talking about the bearings, just the suspension grease fittings.
thanks
aatauses

jimpav

Once a year should suffice, but that's also dependent on the use. The real key is to be able to grease them. I tried to shoot some high temp grease in one of them and couldn't squeeze the handle on the grease gun to get any grease in. I called Trailair and found out a couple of interesting facts:
1) The Grease fittings are actually called 'wet bolts", and as such upon factory installation they msut be oriented in a particular direction. Otherwise grease will not flow into them. They (Trailair) also recommend the fittings be oriented to the inside of the wheels. This will enable you grease gun to reach the zerk. One side of mine was facing the outside of the trailer nad the other side was facing the inside of the trailer. (must have a rough night for the factory tech). It didn't matter to me as my grease gun has a long extension. I had my dealer orient correctly the wet bolt, and was able to get grease into it. hope this helps.

chris60

Once a year should suffice, but that's also dependent on the use. The real key is to be able to grease them. I tried to shoot some high temp grease in one of them and couldn't squeeze the handle on the grease gun to get any grease in. I called Trailair and found out a couple of interesting facts:
1) The Grease fittings are actually called 'wet bolts", and as such upon factory installation they msut be oriented in a particular direction. Otherwise grease will not flow into them. They (Trailair) also recommend the fittings be oriented to the inside of the wheels. This will enable you grease gun to reach the zerk. One side of mine was facing the outside of the trailer nad the other side was facing the inside of the trailer. (must have a rough night for the factory tech). It didn't matter to me as my grease gun has a long extension. I had my dealer orient correctly the wet bolt, and was able to get grease into it. hope this helps.
Are you able to see grease escape, in other words, how do you know if the wet bolts are oriented correctly and things are as they should be...I was just under the 5th setting up the brakes, I did not notice any grease fittings on my trailair, but will look closer now that I know about this!

jimpav

There is a ordinary grease zerk in the head of the wet bolt. The only way to tell if it's oriented correctly is to try to shoot some grease into it. If grease does not go in, just have your dealer (if under warrantry) loosen the bolt and turn it 90 degrees.....tighten and try again. This is a factory installation issue and the dealer should make good on it. I did not see any grease escape, but I at least knew my dealer was able to get a squirt into the item.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Another option to getting the grease in, if you don't want to remove the wet bolt, is to jack the trailer up and take the load off the grease hole in the wet bolt. I think jacking the trailer up, by the frame, is easier than pulling the wet bolts out and turning them. They are not made to just turn, they are a splined.

Peace
Dave