Things we have done to our Cyclone 3914

cqdx

I'm going to break these upgrades into two categories. First set we did for our convience, the other in my opinion should have already been incorporated into the design.

We added a coffee pot under the cabinet above the sink. In order to accomplish this had to place an outlet in the side of the upper cabinet.

The second thing was to add a 44" ceiling fan in the living room ( we found one that matched the fixture above the couch. It looks good and does a great job).

Third was to take the 32" jensen tv and mount, install them in the garage tv cabinet. then put a 42" samsung in the living room. Both tv's push back to the cabinet frame, neither recess into the the frame to be flush. The only time ours were all the way in was when we were traveling anyways.
The one in garage usaully sits on about a 45 degree angle. And the living room is mounted on a flat hanger.

Here starts the other list.

One a/c vent in the living room.....not near enough and the location next to a wall (not in the center of the living area) made it even that much less efficient. Our solution to this was cut into the duct at the other end of the room near the front door and add a diffuser. Now with two vents in this area blowing and a ceiling fan added no problem with maintaining a comfortable temp in the heat of the day here just east of Houston, Tx.

Satelite cable
There are accomidations for 4 tv's but only a single cable for satelite only to two of those locations. My solution was a bit of over kill but only wanted to do it once. I rant the double coax to every location and installed a 8 bank switch to accomidate all the lines. In this day and age all tv provisions should accomidate satelite and at the very least a double line in the living room for a dvr.

The price of elecricity here is 16 cents a kwh, After i received a $296.00 electric bill I decided to check how balanced my panel was. The results were a bit on the rough side. My normal running tv's a/c etc showed that "A" phase was pulling 30amps and "B" phase was drawing 5 amps for my continous loads. So I removed the garage circuit off the phase that holds my main a/c and reworked the general purpose kitchen circuit, added another circuit next to the couch for the computers. This helped the load balance and got the cords out of the walkway. Basically at the end of the day under normal continous load I'm now drawing about 18amps on one leg and about the same on the other. This was based on the feed at the panel inside. During my checks I found that the converter isn't fed from the panel I will check at the transfer swith and see if there is more to be done with the loads.

The flimsy louver for the range exhaust fan that thing didn't last any time at all. will be adding a hinge and a rod to operate it from inside rather than letting it flop around.

When my 3914 was being built I requested the the pin box be set at the highest set of holes. I was told the dealer does that. Well the dealer wasn't at all intersted in raising it up. Now i see why, I did get it done but the modification on that plastic cover was a rough project.

Next was to look into the suspension, I don't have grease fittings under there, no way to grease any of the bolts. Guess my next big project is to add a suspension that won't wear out right away. I'm happy with the ride of the suspension under it and if it wasn't for the fact that there isn't a reaonable way to maintain the bushings I would have been satisfied. In my opinion if it is made to move it should be lubricated.

I've had shake-down probs like everyone else bad door locks, comode seal not holding water, gauges sticking etc. out of all of them the one that bothers me is the couch. At the time of purchase it was noted that the center cushion for the couch that makes it into a bed was short it won't stay in. 3 months now still not resolved. Dealer says its the couch manufacturer(been so long I've forgot their name) messing me over at this time. And still haven't received a lock for the door. I hope these are isolated insidents in regards to cash the check and leave you hang with the problems. I have 9 more months under warranty to be ignored I guess.

Northern Virginia
The price of elecricity here is 16 cents a kwh, After i received a $296.00 electric bill I decided to check how balanced my panel was. The results were a bit on the rough side. My normal running tv's a/c etc showed that "A" phase was pulling 30amps and "B" phase was drawing 5 amps for my continous loads. So I removed the garage circuit off the phase that holds my main a/c and reworked the general purpose kitchen circuit, added another circuit next to the couch for the computers. This helped the load balance and got the cords out of the walkway. Basically at the end of the day under normal continous load I'm now drawing about 18amps on one leg and about the same on the other. This was based on the feed at the panel inside. During my checks I found that the converter isn't fed from the panel I will check at the transfer swith and see if there is more to be done with the loads.
Does balancing the load save you money on your bill?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I've had shake-down probs like everyone else bad door locks, comode seal not holding water, gauges sticking etc. out of all of them the one that bothers me is the couch. At the time of purchase it was noted that the center cushion for the couch that makes it into a bed was short it won't stay in. 3 months now still not resolved. Dealer says its the couch manufacturer(been so long I've forgot their name) messing me over at this time. And still haven't received a lock for the door. I hope these are isolated insidents in regards to cash the check and leave you hang with the problems. I have 9 more months under warranty to be ignored I guess.

Call Heartland Customer Service and see if they cannot help you out on the couch and door locks. I am sure they can.:)

cqdx

Hello newbie, and yes if you are drawing 30amps on one leg of a 220 circuit it will cost the same as if you were drawing it on both legs. without going too far with an example 30amps on "A" phase and 5amps on "B" the return line will be conducting 25amps wasted to ground. If you have a balanced load, the return line would carry zero amps therefore you are using what you pay for instead.

cqdx

Thanks for the reply kakampers

That is most likely what I will do, jack up the frame, drop the springs, and add a wet bolt kit. It's common since that any bolt and bushing designed to rub together and carry a weight of 3,000 lbs. would have a method incorporated capable of being maintained, and last for more than just the first year.

Northern Virginia
Ok, you got me thinking...In sinlge phase power, the neutral isn't the "return line" unless you are using single phase 2 pole or 240 power, then the opposite pole acts as a neutral on the alternating current (60 times a second). And in that case, a motor should be drawing equal amounts of power or you would know it quick. Heaters might be another story. The RV's have 240 v but only use one leg at a time.

Any how, I don't think that your electric meter, which measures wattage, cares if you have 30 amps on 1 pole and 2 amps on the other for one hour. It should meter 32 amps x 120 volts=3840 watt hours. If you had 16 amps on both poles it should still meter 3840 watts.

Unbalanced loads do waste power on commercial 3 phase systems with motor and transformer loss to heat, but I am pretty sure that with single phase systems (all residential and campground power) you won't be wasting power to unbalanced poles.

If I am missing something than pile on;)

John

cqdx

Does balancing the load save you money on your bill?
Ok here we go, First off hello. In a 220 circuit if you have an equal load, the return to ground hot wire carries zero amps to ground. An unbalanced load will will equal out by returning the unbalanced portion to ground. With that in mind lets look at an a/c at 15 amps and a lighting load at 15amps on the same phase. Your 30 amp draw will also be 30 amps returning to ground. Lets take the lighting load put that 15 amps on the opposite phase now both phases now draw 15 amps I didn't make a referance to a Neutral line in a single circuit. Single phase only has hot wires....lol. Only in a 3-phase 1.732 rotation will you find a true neutral. But for our discusion if you waste 15amps to ground on the reurn hot wire instead of using it on the other leg then look out here comes the 296.00 dollar electric bill. Because a ct (current transformer) works off of magnetic fields i reads one leg at a time. It will read the leg with the largest draw. here is a link that show it in detail. http://electronicdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?AD=1&ArticleID=3378. For furher info I'd have to dig out my JATC books and figure out away to scan them

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
newbie.....you are correct. there may be 220v coming into the coach but everything is basically running on 110v inside. so how much electrical flow there is on each leg does not matter..... unless it reaches the point of tripping a breaker of course. the meter should record the total wattage as simply the sum of the load on the two energized legs.

cqdx

Well after you posted, I took out the va meter and my panel does use 220v not 1 leg at a time. so in the case of utilizing a 220 volt panel as intended then a balanced load is to your pocket book's benefit. And to be thorough i removed the cover at the shore power for the park and have a descent draw on both legs....not just 1

Your ceiling fan mod sounds great. We're considering adding one to our 3912, and would greatly appreciate any tips you can share about attaching it to the ceiling.

Pastor Scott & Sharon

gpshemi

It's easy to confuse, but the nema 14-50 (50amp) plug on an rv (and campground pedistal) is NOT a typical 240v. It's actually two 120v legs. That explains why you can get adapters to allow you to plug your campers nema plug into two 120v recepticals. Although ideally those should be on seperate curcuits. Many a person has wired the nema 14-50 as a 240v plug and ruined stuff. Don't learn it the hard way.
When I wired our properties pedistals I was good and sure I knew how to wire it first.