How High? Lifting the frame.

2010augusta

How much will the wheels/axles droop down when the frame is lifted. My frame is setting at 24" on level ground, so how high does it need to be lifted before the tires leave the ground? I am looking at jack stands to hold the trailer of the ground, but I don't know how high they must be able to sit. I like the price of the 6 ton units, but they are only 24" tall at max lift, so I am thinking about bolting/welding steel box tubing under the frame to act as a pad for the jack stands. Would 1/4" or 3/8" wall 2x4 steel tube be enough? or should I add a chunk of I-beam?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Alan, It's your calll but there's really no need to lift the trailer off the ground. I don't think it will prolong the wear of the springs or relieve any tire pressures. Most folks I've seen just level up normally then support with jack stands just in front of and behind the axles. Even doing it this way, you could remove the tires/wheels and lay them under the rig.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Alan, It's your calll but there's really no need to lift the trailer off the ground. I don't think it will prolong the wear of the springs or relieve any tire pressures. Most folks I've seen just level up normally then support with jack stands just in front of and behind the axles. Even doing it this way, you could remove the tires/wheels and lay them under the rig.

YEEEEHAAAWWW! Then your Augusta will look like a redneck mansion :D Get you some cinder blocks and put your TV up on them, too.

You could just as easily (maybe easier) build some ground pads using 4x4, or even 6x6 timbers, with a layer of 5/4 deck board on top to set the jacks on. I've got screw jacks in front of my tires setting on pads made with 4x4's just to reduce some of the mid-frame flex at the tires.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I can tell you this, we have the Level-Up system, and it only takes us about 3-5" of lift to bring all four tires off the ground...had to do it recently to adjust the brakes....:)